Raleigh Ram 3.0 XC Full Suspension

Raleigh Ram 3.0 XC Full Suspension

[Jun 28, 2007]
David bennett

Strength:

Strong frame

Components

Dont buy the bike complete just rebuild it.... I did

To many to list

[Dec 26, 2007]
Tedd Nettleton

Strength:

Good recreational bike for money. Disk breaks work well. Full suspension is easy on the back.

Frame. The frame just above the bottom weld for the shock snapped in half. I’ve been riding the bike nearly everyday for the past 3 years (about 50/50 road/trail for a total of 14,000 miles).

Nice bike while it lasted. Just keep an eye on the frame for metal fatigue.

[Apr 02, 2007]
David

Strength:

Great for heavy down hill riding. Very stable over 60 mph down pikes peak. Its better than any bike I have ever used for the price. Great handling. Best Jumper for a four inch travel. Beast like

Heavy, awful components, no disc brakes, Terrible rear shock and front shock

For the money you can buy a lighter bike that cant take the abuse i put this bike through. I would buy the 2005 model simply because the paint didnt chip like my friends 06 model. The bike should have Upgraded parts.
BUY THIS BIKE

Giant trance Giant Anthem Kona kikapu deluxe kona Colier

[Mar 23, 2007]
Matt

Strength:

This review is for the 2005 model:

Great value, shock combination works really well, no lockouts but there is no pedal bob (platform shock) so I wouldn't bother using them anyways. Comes with some pretty good components. Rides like a much more expensive bike. Same basic frame geometry as a Trek Fuel Ex.

No disc brakes initially but they are pretty cheap to add on.

BUY THIS BIKE IF: you are buying your 1st full susp. and have a budget, some other bikes in the same price range or even up to $1,500 will dissapoint. If you want a good value and great performance.

This bike simply cannot be beat for the money. If you can find a 2005 (best shock setup) then buy it by all means. I test rode several full susp. bikes before I bought this one and it performs better than most bikes at even twice its cost. It rode very similar to a Fuel EX7 i rode (same geometry so it makes sense that it would perform similarly) which says a lot since that bike retails @ $1900.

Specialized Epic, Specialized FSR xc, Trek Fuel EX5, EX7, & EX8

[Mar 08, 2004]
John

Strength:

For a stock bike everything works flawlessly. Well put together value package of moderate goodies. Good all around bike for the money, provided your not looking for an instant racer.

A little on the heavy side. Clear coat paint would be nice.

I have used the bike for a month now. Everything has worked as advertised. The jury is still out on the Judy XC fork. As my riding becomes more aggressive I am afraid that a stronger set up may be needed. The Shimano discs have worked flawlessly, stop great, very little noise.
The rear suspension works just right for my style of riding, 4" of travel seems to give me the best balance between the downhill bumps and trying to reach the the top on my climbs.
I definitely would recommend this bike to anyone looking for full suspension that works well, and is not intending to go racing right away. Best of all, you don't have to mortgage your house to ride it out of the bike shop!

Trek hardtail.

[Jun 11, 2006]
Charles Cao

Strength:

Great frame. Light yet strong. For a full suspension and for the price, the frame is great. Feels very together. Very solid feel

Raleigh paint is reputed to chip easily, but I shot a clearcoat over it before I started assembly and have had no problems.

I bought this bike frame only and have built it to my liking based on a compromise between durability, weight, and money. I must say, after having used two other full suspension bikes (giant warp and fuji discovery), this bike is just awesome. I tried to shave off weight by using some carbon parts and light rims, but i probably made the difference back with the Deore components. Either way, it is easily 5 pounds lighter than both the Giant and Fuji. The Giant weighed almost 39 pounds! I would say for a beginner to intermediate rider, this bike would be great. Also, the price has been pretty slashed down from when it first came out, and there are alot of places selling it for under $1000. The only complaint I have ever really heard is that Raleigh paints chip easily, so when i first bought it i put on a coat of clearcoat and off-road use wax made for Jeeps. So far, still looks terrific.

Giant Warp DS3, Gary Fisher Tassajara, Fuji Discovery 1, Schwinn SX2000, Gary Fisher Mako, Trek 4100

[Jun 04, 2005]
Lucas

Strength:

Frame and shocks are solid. Front and rear suspension move nicely together. Great bike for the price!! Entire setup is nice quality.

No weaknesses found yet.

Great quality bike for a nice price! This is an amazing setup and I highly recommend anyone to do the same upgrade (mentioned in the "Bike Setup" section) if it's available . I paid $100 more for the RAM 4.0 components. The RAM 4.0 suspension was not as good (too soft and spongey). BOTTOM LINE: BUY IT!

1998 GT Timberline hardtail. Tested many products prior to this purchase.

[Dec 15, 2004]
Brandon Jagow

Strength:

Price! Disc brakes are awesome. The tires are freakin' huge and (so far) indestructable.

I don't get much travel out of the fork, no matter how I adjust the preload. The stock pedals are cheap. The screws that hold the "bear-claw" on pull out easily and strip the threads. The inside is plastic and cracks easily; needs more durability. The bike is a little heavy, but I'm a little weak, so its probably good for me getting stronger.

Great bike! This is my first MTB since the one I had when I was 10. I am very happy with my choice. I don't plan on racing; I just like to go out and ride and this bike does the trick. If you have the extra cash, splurging for the 4.0 with hydraulic brakes might not be a bad idea, but this bike is just fine. If you are just getting into this activity, this bike is for you. Almost all sales people tried to stear me away from this bike, they said it was cheaply trying to be a hard-core MTB. Well, I'm glad the guys at Quality just told me to ride it and decide for myself.

None.

[Aug 23, 2004]
Chris Smith

Strength:

Price to compnent mix. Easy to manuever and control.

Paint job! Raleigh paint jobs chip EXTREMELY easy. Suspension is bottom of the line.

I'd suggest paying the extra time/money to have the frame clear coated to protect the paint before the dealer installs components.

The bike has great compnents for the money - except the suspension. That's an easy fix/upgrade if desired, but isn't neccessary.

Few bikes compare for the price/component mix except Haro Extreme X1 and Schwinn Rocket.

Trek 800, Haro Extreme X2. Also test rode Jamis Dakkar Sport.

[Aug 09, 2004]
Joel

Strength:

Price, Climbing, (most) components, bombproof.

a little squeaky, brakes take a while to dial in, REAR SHOCK

Very nice setup. The fork takes a while to dial in to your size (im 6'4 220 lbs), and the brakes take a while to break in, but once everything is adjusted as you like it, this is a crazy bike. climbs very well partly due to the fact that the rear shock doesnt do much and its very hard to find a shock that will fit the space (6 1/2 inches) alloted. If you can get ANY other shock get it FAST. otherwise the bike is very nice, and can tear up most anything I throw at it.

if youre over 5'10" definately get the large frame, i barely fit.

a number of hardtails and a giant warp DS2 from 3 years ago