Pace RC405 XC Full Suspension

JoeyG   Cross Country Rider [Dec 30, 2010]
Strength:

Excellent acceleration and efficiency on cross country trails and up hill sections. The aggressive seating position and small cockpit makes the bike very fast through single track, able to handle the majority of situations thrown at it and it descends as well also. There is no bob from rear suspension under acceleration, even when standing. Cheap frame price provides flexibility to build the bike as an all mountain champion or cross country flyer.

bike angles result in seating position not suited to downhill as much as all mountian specific bikes. Frame weight a little heavy for cross country racer.

If you are like me and can afford to run only one bike and want performance, verstility and comfort all over the mountian then the PACE 405 could be a good choice as long as you can get past the aggressive seating poisiton for all mountain riding.

I compete in quite a few MTB events and find the PACE a suitable companion in 24 hour and 100km enduros. Add to that the ability to throw the bike around on local tracks on the weekend for a bit of fun and the bike meets all my needs.

However, the frame has developed a minor crack from a weld point in the rear suspension linkage. Thankfully PACE have just agreed to replace the bike under warranty.

Similar Products Used: K2 Comp 99, Giant Trance X1
Ripley_405   Weekend Warrior [Nov 04, 2010]
Strength:

Descends really well, and climbs better than you think but I am finding its real strength is on tight and twisty singletrack. Once you have dialled in your suspension, and set everything up to your liking it is such a nice bike to ride.

Of course, it all depends on how you spec it up, but it is such a responsive bike, no pedal bob and it just makes you want to push it to its limits.

Not really a weakness, as it can be combatted by using other components to get the set up right, but the cockpit is quite compact. I find this a great thing as it makes the bike easy to throw around, but my advice would be to test ride before you buy and have a proper think about stem length etc...

An awe inspiring bike that eats up anything you throw at it. Getting to the top is as much fun as going down the other side...

And the best thing? I know I've only got out about 50% of it's potential. As time goes on, as I improve my technique and fitness I know that this bike has so much more to give, I know it'll be able to cope with whatever my ability can throw at it.

Similar Products Used: Tested - Lapierre Zesty 514, Trek Fuel EX 8, Orange 5 S
Chiltern Flyer   Weekend Warrior [Mar 06, 2009]
Strength:

This is a 5 in travel MTB so it can handle all the major drops I dare do (and probably 95% of you too) - no problem. But that is not where it ends but where it starts. I built this bike to go anywhere, Dale, Fell and Moor. Using ‘fairly’ sensible components with Pace XCAM 41 forks my medium weights in at sub 25Ibs. I am just under 6ft and I feel the ‘cockpit’ of the medium is just perfect for me with an 80mm stem. I can do long rides on it with no back pain, hammer it downhills and not lose control and nail single track.

Basically nothing. Accurately following the suspension set-up instructions the front end did dive a bit and the rear did bottom out but adding 10 – 15psi more sorted this out. One thing is that the rear shock does regularly need topping up with air – I may check this out with Pace.

I have been mtbing since the early 90’s. I am amazed at the times I am posting on my usual rides on the Pace 405 – especially uphill. It has no obvious bob when pedalling and when I look at my times (incl road hills) they are better than my steel hard tail! Then once you get onto single track it flies, the front and rear suspension work in unison balancing feel and speed – it’s great. This is what MTB’s are meant to be like!

There is an expression that the number of bikes you need is N+1 – where N is the number you have today. If you have a Pace 405 I think that number is now N.

Get a demo on one and see what you are missing.

Similar Products Used: Many – everyone has a personal preference so use this review for the Pace 405.
rideguide   Weekend Warrior [Jul 26, 2008]
Strength:

Nails single track like you wouldn't believe and takes the hits too.
Heavy duty build at less than 27lbs (would be easy to build as a 25lb 5" XC flyer)
The integrated headset keeps the front end low with a longer travel fork which means you can keep the weight and traction on the front. This makes for amazing tracking on twisty single track, berms and steep climbs.
The full floater suspension has virtually no bob - just a surge of acceleration - even out of the saddle.

Weight over the front took a bit of getting used to compared with the Stumpy - especially in the air - but once you do - WOW!

This a seriously fast 5" travel bike perfect for blistering singletrack pace (no pun). It climbs better than ANY full sus bike I've ever ridden (period) and as an MTB guide I've slung my leg over tooo many steeds to mention. It will also handle way more extreme terrain than I'm currently riding on.
I took 6 minutes off my best time round the 25 mile red loop at Dalby on its first outing. This was compared to my beloved (and now sold!) Stumpy FSR Pro which I had been riding for almost 2 years.

Similar Products Used: Stumpy FSR Pro, Santa Cruz Blur LT2, Ibis Mojo, Santa Cruz Superlight, Santa Cruz Heckler, Orange Five, Rocky Mountain ETSX-50 the list goes on ....
howebizarre   Cross Country Rider [Jun 23, 2008]
Strength:

Even since first ride this frame & setup has inspired confidence, taken 10 minutes of my best time round the Black route at Llandegla. Ridden stuff on 7 Stanes routes i'd never have ridden before.

I'm not the best hill climber but this frame seems to climb better than my hardtail. feels very solid under foot.

I've not found any real weaknesses yet, although some of the cable routing does rub a little below bottom bracket but some carbon patches haves sorted that.

Although the frame is a little on the expensive side, if your in the market for a cracking full suspension frame. I would definately recommend you get a demo ride, i benchmarked it against a Turner 5 Spot which i've ridden a lot and i prefer the Pace.

Similar Products Used: Recently Owned- Marin Mount Vision, Orange Patriot, Specialized Big Hit
Tested Prior to Buying: Turner 5 Spot, Santa Cruz Heckler / Blur , Rocky Mountain