Orbea Oiz XC Full Suspension

Orbea Oiz XC Full Suspension

The ultimate full-suspension racing bike is here. Using Orbea’s incredible knowledge of composites and alloys we have created a bike that gets 3 inches of travel and weighs pounds less than the competition. The Oiz front triangle is built from a proprietary scandium-enhanced tubeset that is tuned to balance weight and efficiency. The rear uses an amazingly light carbon chainstay that flexes to give the Oiz its travel. It is a design that uses the natural properties of carbon to minimize drivetrain and brake influence on the suspension.

[Jul 14, 2013]
Mark Swofford

Strength:

A high quality finish that's well built,reliable and attractive. Double water bottle mounts. Simple clean design.

Bob prone, difficult to reach lockout and not that light considering the short travel.

This bike was the second of four Orbea mountain bikes i have had and still own an Alma Carbon hardtail and Occam. I got the Oiz mainly for its double bottle mounts, weight, stiffness and simplicity. But the ride was hopelessly bob prone and the short travel really was no improvement on a hardtails. So I found the idea of it pointless in practice. I traded it in on a Pivot Mach 5 which proved a big improvement but its gone now also.

[Jul 10, 2009]
OODJ

Strength:

Handles like a sports car, climbs like a jeep on crank.

None and I've had mine for a little over two years and I havent had a single problem.

I rode a few different brands before I bought this bike and I just kept coming back to it. Its just such a sweet ride. I have a few buddies that ride stumpy's and sore by them. From the very first ride till now I usually end up waiting ten to fifteen minutes for them at the top of climbs, and they have more skill then me. I can ride for hours on end and still want more at the end of the day.

Stumpy, Epic, Scalpel, Rize

[Feb 17, 2009]
CRBondur

Strength:

Wow! This bike has a ton of good things going for it. This includes really light weight, nice suspension action, awesome handling and great component group.

The saddle that comes with the Oiz is too stiff. I like a little cush in my saddles. Swap their saddle out for a WTB or Physique gel saddle and you're good to go.

Just bought the bike recently and I instantly fell in love with it. I'm moving over from a hard tail, so I wanted a bike that was fast, efficient and quick handling. Boy, Did I ever get it!

When I hit the trails, I was a bit timid at first, since I had been warned the bike was "twitchy." I wouldn't say it was twitchy, but it did demand my attention as I rode. Of course, I like this. No hands off riding for me.

The bike carved corners well and fairly shot across the flats, even when the trail was twisty. For climbing, the only real limitation was my fitness. And descending was great as well. No brake jack or forward pitching.

Price wise, I got a great deal. This bike has been a demo bike at other locations, so picking it up from the Orbea outlette allowed me to knock off half the price. Very nice.

Giant XTC Carbon, Turner Flux, Trek Fuel, Fisher Sugar

[Sep 08, 2008]
boogievoogie

Strength:

Stable, fast, no problems with suspension, no limits on turns
easy to set up, v-brakes possible

a lit bit heavy, after 120km+ trips you feel it

good choice, recommended
forget about stand ups on roots and stones on good road use lock out and you got a hardtail
no suspension blocking when using disc brakes

[Aug 02, 2008]
Vigelante74

Strength:

This bike rips! Uphill, nothing faster. With lockout and xtr components, it takes of like a rocketship. This bike can create a seasoned racers esteem in one ride. Orbea hit the sweet spot when they set this bike up, from the scandium frame to the carbon stay this bike exudes supremacy. I have over 4500 miles and asides from a couple of scratches and a bottom bracket, sprocket, pad replacement this bike needs nothing. I guess my drool keeps it looking good, I enjoy it more every time I ride.

None!!!.... well, all the guys/gals you pass try to slow you down to see what you are riding.

You get what you pay for!!!! If you want a bike to show off your skills in climbing, sprinting and get you podium finnishes this is the bike. This has it all, Spains touch of finese through and through. I have this bike set up for me, you could easily shave a couple more lbs. I have purchased a second frame just incase something happens to my other... and oh yea orbea has a limited lifetime warranty. Does it get any better?

Nothing compares.... Hands down the best.... Multo Bene!

[Sep 13, 2007]
Brandon

Strength:

Light weight, great handling, unique

Integrated headset, no full carbon in the US that I can find

I love this bike. I've gained much needed confidence and speed since getting it. It weighs about the same as my Felt, but has 3 in of rear travel to smooth out the trail.

I absolutely love this bike. The only thing I'd change when purchasing would be to get the full carbon model.

Thanks to Get a Grip Cycles in Chicago for sponsorship!

Felt RXC

[Jan 18, 2007]
Den

Strength:

Very Light and laterally stiff.

Not as smooth as some designs. This is not a trailbike.

This is a lightweight XC racing bike with 85mm of travel. It is great at what it is designed for, racing. My bike built up a little over 23 lbs with pedals. Which is only about a pound more than my ti hardtail. It climbs as well or better as any XC bike I have ridden. With the rear suspension active, there is very little loss to bob, and if the climb is smooth, lock the handlebar mounted lockout and climb like a hardtail. It will handle any descent you're going to find at your typical XC race. The cockpit is long and the handling stable. 85mm of travel soaks up the smaller chatter and takes the edge off the bigger hits, but won't eliminate them. Some people want to compare this to the Scalpel because of the flexing carbon main pivot, but note that the OIZ has a Horst link (rear pivot on the chainstay in front of the rear axle) and thus a more linear and slightly rearward travel path, like a Specialized 4-bar (FSR). I like this system much better than the Scalpel's "single pivot." A great race bike.

Intense Spider, Specialized Epic, Ventana El Fuego

[Nov 02, 2006]
Ryan

Strength:

Very lightweight, less moving parts. Climbs extremely well. Fairly stable descender with 100mm Fox fork and the addition of Gravity Dropper post. This slackens the head angle by a degree and makes the bike a bit more stable. I'm not a fan of Manitou, but the S-type rear shock's adjustments work very well and seem to have a wider range of adjustability than an RP23. This frame is made in Spain and not shipped over to Taiwan-a very nice touch.

Zeus carbon bars scratch very easily as do any carbon parts. Headset isn't sealed very well and is integrated so options are limited.

The bike really moves and with the addition of the 100mm fork it is fairly stable on steep and sketchy terrain. Responds very well to out of the saddle sprints. Doesn't have the feeling of any slop in the rear end, I don't feel any side to side flex even at 200lbs fully geared up. My only real complaints are I don't care for integrated headsets and would like to have the option of putting a King headset on the bike. The marring on carbon products can take away from the bling factor of a bike of this caliber.
It's also nice to be able to order derailleur hangers and other parts online from Orbea. The lifetime warranty on the frame is a nice addition as well.

Santa Cruz 'Superlight', Ellsworth 'Truth', Rocky Mountain 'ETSX-70', Titus 'Moto-Lite'

[Sep 26, 2006]
Papas

Strength:

Cheaper than the Scalpel. Suposed to be light

Unstable in cornering. Easy to break (mine has and no support from dealer).

Looks very much like the Cannondale, but from a brand that has only made a little name in road cycling. Those guys have no experience in MTB or XC. After having tryied both Oiz and Epic in same course i was much faster and stable on the Epic. The weight even though the Oiz is claimed to be lighter it was the same. My Oiz frame broke by a little rock that was lifted by the wheel at the carbon part and is not covered under warranty.

I give it 1 chili for the value as it only last a period and is not a serius brand and 1 chili for the support and handling.

Ideal Race Pro, Specialized M5 HT, Specialized Epic

[Sep 20, 2006]
Eagle

Strength:

Great rear end stifness and no bobbing. The bonding of the rear carbon chainstay adds to the coolness factor of the frame. Light for a full sus bike.

None that i can think of.

Bottom line is that while i tested many bikes and reviewed several others, the guys at www.cycliststore.com were more than helpfull to fit me properly on my new bike. As they are cyclists themselves, they really know what they are doing and most important they have respect for the customer. IMHO its the best bike shop in Greece!

PS. as far as to the unhappy customer all i can think of is that he must be some really angry competitor

Specialized Epic S-works, Giant XTC, Scott Genious RC.