Norco Faze XC Full Suspension

• Refined Trail geometry with slacker 69 degree headtube angle for 2011
  • Super light weight triple butted M6 aluminum frame with 120 mm travel
  • Fox Float RL 120 mm travel with 15 mm through hole dropout and Fox Float R rear shock
  • Shimano SLX 10 speed gearing

Ben, middle aged dad   Weekend Warrior [May 01, 2016]
Strength:

I have the 2014 with fox evo air shocks front & back. Great value, for a reasonable price I have slx disc brakes, xt shifting, duallie 29er with 100mm travel front and rear. Love the lockout switches for climbing and the ride to the trailhead. It has opened up all kinds of technical lines that were unrideable on my old 26er hardtail. Drivetrain , suspension pivots and brakes have been super reliable for the last year of hard riding, even after I've left a fair bit of aluminum shredded on rocks in the area.

Bottom bracket is low, so flat pedals were out. Couldn't clear small roots until I put spds back on. No remote for the fox shocks, no drop-post (although I gather from reviews that this may not be a bad thing). Doesn't have the latest mtb fashion, like rear thru-axle, tapered head tube or wide rims and tires. With the exception of the rims, I couldn't care less and don't notice any shortcomings in the handling. And wheels only last a couple of years at best anyway.

Great xc and trail bike at a price you can justify to my wife and kids. A monster on the trail.

Similar Products Used: Old hardtail
Jay   [Jun 17, 2013]
Strength:

The MTB is really light and has the agility to make sharp turns from left to right. The suspension system performs well and up hill climbs pretty easy without a sweat.

Front Shocks are not that stiff.

Great bike for all terrain mountain Biking to achieve the ultimate outback adventure. This bike will never fail you!

Cameron   Weekend Warrior [Jun 15, 2012]
Strength:

Geometry, Triple Butted M6 Aluminum, Razor sharp feedback, Weight, Brakes, Climbs & Descents. Components (MY08) Shimano XT,Ritchey,WTB,Mavic, Fox RP23 and RS REBA Race makes the 08 Faze 2 a very solid build.

Style, or lack there of. Very basic.. simple pearl white paint with blue text. It does not "catch" your eye.
Would have preferred a Fox fork adjustable travel (personal preference). However RS REBA Race is dual air, very light and feels good once its dialed in.

I've got a 2008 Norco Faze Two. Retail was $2999.99+tax. I paid $1400.00 Pre-Owned through pinkbike.

Norco has jumped around a little bit with the Faze two as far as components each model year has different variations. The bike lasers around no problem and feels lightning fast pedaling hard through single-track. The build fits very well and inspires confidence where ever my bike trails may take me. The build is race ready out of the box if that's how you chose to ride it. I use mine as a XC weekend warrior + commuter and love every minute of it.

It is a truly a fast bike at only 28lbs w/o pedals (SIZE L). With a lighter wheelset+tubeless+clipless in you could find +/-25lb quickly, and shed even more if you upgrade with carbon bars,stem, seatpost ect.

For a "XC Enduro Series" categorized bike, its preforms with confidence in every situation I've faced yet. ProPedal RP23 is stiff yet forgiving, and climbs easily thanks to ProPedal and Norco's use of "Specialized" Patent Horst FSR design. I maybe would have preferred maybe 5" of F & R travel, but that's pushing towards an All Mountain build and would have the same composure, climbing capabilities and sharpness that Norco really nailed with the Faze Two XC Enduro Series.

chris   Weekend Warrior [Nov 03, 2011]
Strength:

Weight, components, geometry, tubed and light wheel-set (don't waste time with tubeless). Proven Alloy frame (I have broken 2 carbon hard-tails and I am not a heavy rider (70kg) - so I prefer to stay away from carbon period).

should come with a dropper seat post and it could have a talas front fork (eg. Giant Trance SL 0).
Lacks Kashima coating.
Advertised as triple butted but double butted is stated on the frame - a very weird oversight.
Suspension BOB which isn't a problem for me - but it exists nonetheless.

Who should buy it: Trail riders, people who like to ride easy through to tough trails and have fun.
Who shouldn't buy it: weight weenies who are looking for racy bikes with race geometry that aren't fun to ride and those scared of suspension bob.

Comparison to other bikes:
In my experience, this bike is much better then the Merida OneTwenty or Trek Fuel, and MUCH MUCH better then the POS Maverick, however, it is very close to the Giant Trance and looses out with the Trance when value for money is taken into account.
Performance wise and where money is not an issue then the Specialized StumpJumper is king (without the brain), followed very closely by the Giant Trance and the Norco Faze in 3rd place.

About this bike:
Geometry is awesome and allows blitz descends. The frame is compact enough to allow capable climbing during tight turns, which often are not easy for me (6.1ft = large frame bike), but on this bike I can make many tight turns without stopping.
I am of the opinion that one should just ride and not play with switches/knobs to lock shocks, etc. Hence, when left unchecked there is a lot more bob from the rear than on a Maverick, but then again the rear suspension actually works really well where you need it; downhill!
Bob isn't huge issue on any of the bikes I mentioned - no matter what the sales devils tell you, BOB isn't a huge problem and you barely notice it when you ride (well this is me 70kg). If you want no bob but a really POS dually look at Maverick or the complex Specialized Brain (which reduces performance and is expensive to fix). Something has to give.
The front fork could be a Fox Talas, but I heard that most riders of these "marathon" 120mm travel bikes actually leave the Talas on 120mm anyway. Still it would be nice to have the 140mm up front for those scary "if you need it" moments. But a dropper post is much better here anyway.
Finally make no mistake, if you cant get a discount and you are comparing RRP (what I like to call Recommended Rip-Off Price) then go for a Giant, you will get a much better spec.

Components:
In my opinion this bike has the best components.
Drive-train:
Shimano XTR rules all; I have ridden/used; SRAM XX, X0 and X9, FSA (cranks only).
Brakes:
Shimano XTR rules all; I have ridden/used; Avid (Juciy 3, 5, 7, Elixer), Tektro, Magura - all rubbish.
Suspension:
Fox Rules all; I have ridden/used; RockShox, DT, Maverick, Manitou - all much worse.

Value = 3 Chilis when considering RRP
Overall = 4.5

To end I am extremely happy with this bike and I highly recommend it. I thought I would share my comparison with you guys, which details approx 10years of riding most weekends and the occasional race.

Similar Products Used: Maverick ML7.5, Giant Reign, Giant Trance, Giant NSR, Trek Fuel, Merida OneTwenty (demo only), Specialised StumpJumper & Epic (demo only)
Den   Cross Country Rider [Aug 01, 2011]
Strength:

great value for the dollar. Good Climber, love the remote lock out for the front (faze 2). Little to no bob on the rear when climbing, yet it remains active in soaking up the terrain when seated in the climg on rough fire road or trail.

Not fure if the weaknesses are more the builder of the bike or the bike it self. After some minor tightening and adjusting it resolved most of the issues I had. I still get a funny feel on the bottom bracket when climbing and just today there was a strange knock in one of the pedels when climbing. When it goes in for the first tune up since purchase i will have the BB inspected. Either way it has not affected the performance. The only other weakness is there was no quick lock lever for the seat post, at this price point I was a littel surprised (not a deal breaker.)

Great value for the dollar. This will be my bike for years to come. Great climber, road rides, aggresice XC, decends good when you soften the tire pressure and suspension. I would recommend this to friends, I have been riding for over ten years and this has been the best to date for my style of riding.

Similar Products Used: Prophet (which sucked and I would stear anyone away from purchasing. There was an issue with the lefty fork and whne I took it in I was told it needed to be replaced after only riding it for a short while. The cost to replace or fix I was told was going to be around 900 to 1000, as a result I bought a new bike. I wrote cannondale about the issue with the fork and got no response. I later learned there was a recall and had the bike fixed which I learned cost only 5 bucks. AVOID CANNONDALE, if looking at these reviews to get info for a new ride, the Norce product has been much better with better product support.) Norco atomic downhill bike, Norco Fluid (very similiar, but heavier. Specialized,, Hard Rock.
Liron000   Weekend Warrior [Aug 05, 2010]
Strength:

Great suspension, light

The FSR suspension is good- but i prefer a full lock option for the rear suspension as well...

The bike are very XC oriented. As an aggressive XC rider i am not looking for speed, but more comfort and ability to tackle harsh single track terrain. off the box these bikes are not perfect for that cause. But once i switched to thicker tires, installed a bushgard and replaced the 100mm stem to a 70mm stem- the bike offers everything i want. They are light, give me the ability to ride XC, but when i want to go LOCO- they are right there for me...

Similar Products Used: My first full suspension bike
thesaints949   Racer [Jun 11, 2010]
Strength:

stiff through linkage, aggressive angles

SPD pedals/317 wheels

This is an update from my first post. I raced this bike really hard last year and again this year-everything from Ontario Cup to Crank the Shield 3 day stage race. This is a great ride-plain and simple. You can race it out of the box, and you can make it lighter with some upgrades. Highly recommend this bike to anyone.

Similar Products Used: Jamis Dakar Expert, KHS XC 904 team, KHS XC 909 team,
meadsy   Cross Country Rider [May 28, 2009]
Strength:

Stiff rear end, No bob feel when riding, Great climber and turner
The XT bits.
Built to last

Overall weight, rims Mavic XM 317
Brakes not as bitey as expected - Elixers

Absoulutely great trial bike! Not light enough for a true XC racer, though the handling is. The fairly high bottom braket is great for getting over things yet does not feel out of place when spinning.
I choose this Norco over a Stumpjumper because of value for money. Both have the same suspension set up which works and is no passing fad. I also wanted an aluminium framed bike. Cabon has a bit to go in my opion for mtb use.
The forged linkages are built to last and make the rear stiff as.
The bike turns tight when you need to yet is stable on decents.
I like it lot just wish it was a bit lighter.

Similar Products Used: Specialised FSR, Trek fuel, Norco Charger
thesaints949   Racer [Apr 08, 2009]
Strength:

Very Stiff through the rear linkage, spec'd out very nicely for the price. Love the frame geometry. Great tires.

Not crazy about SPD pedals--would have preferred Cranks of Time.

This is a great bike. Much lighter and more responsive than the Dakar was, stiffer and more durable than the KHS (broke the KHS frame). The new XT components are great. It came with Mavic 317 / Schwalbe Racing Raplh wheels (Still good value), but I put my tubeless wheels on to race. I really like the frame stiffness and geometry. It allows you to set your suspension allot finer without having to factor lateral flexion through the linkage/frame into the mix. I find that with the MP23 propedal shock and SID race, I was able to set the bike up for racing (stiff) and get it tuned in very quickly. You can race the bike right out of the box. 4.5 chilis overall because I'm not an SPD pedal guy.