Mountain Cycle Zen XC Full Suspension

• TT length 22.3"
  • Wheelbase 41.6"
  • HT angle 71°
  • ST angle 73.5°
  • Chainstay length 16.875"
  • BB height 12.5"

fselker   Cross Country Rider [Aug 15, 2011]
Strength:

Nice cross-country bike, looks cool.

Broke chain stay on two rear triangles, but was riding pretty rough (e.g., jumping stairs) and I'm 185lbs. I reinforced my third triangle and it's been good for years. Main pivot can develop play due to poor bolt choice in their design - you can fix it if you're mechanical.

Nice bike but a heavy guy riding technical stuff can break it.

I got spare stuff when they stopped making them - still have a new rear triangle, replacement suspension bearings, and derailleur hangers, in case anyone needs them (f selker at g mail dot com).

Similar Products Used: Stumpjumper
MarlinAbuser   Weekend Warrior [May 06, 2011]
Strength:

Made in USA, lightweight, art like welds

This bike is a smooth and quick. I know my set up has a lot to do with how good the bike rides but I bought a frame that looked new for half the price of what a beat up Santa Cruz would've cost me.

Similar Products Used: Niner Rip9, 20 years of hard tails/rigids
Mark Audette   Weekend Warrior [Feb 04, 2011]
Strength:

No suprises, agile, smooth on bumps, climbs well.

None discovered in 5+ years.

Much to my dismay, my first MOHO I purchased in 1999 broke in 2005. I wrangled with MC for a warranty replacement. They had no MOHOs in stock anymore. First they wanted $800 for a new frame... after some violin playing they reduced it to $500. I got it the last week MC was in business in Oregon. The front derailleur is apparently specific to the Zen and no longer in production (?), so I bought the last two I could find from a shop in Michigan. The rest of the parts swapped over. I've been casual riding for 5 years but ran my first 6hr race in Lakeland, FL this past weekend. All day in the saddle and it handled like a champ. Would love to upgrade to disc brakes, but that's costly as the Marzocci is too old... would need to be replaced. If you have access to good parts for cheap and come across a blank frame, go for it. Awesome bike.

Similar Products Used: Mountaincycle MOHO CXS R-series
Cracker69   Cross Country Rider [Sep 17, 2008]
Strength:

Nice well designed single pivot. Unbelievably durable paint, exclusive - you don't see these in Wisconsin. Nice welds

I think constraining the placement of the front derailleur with the suspension swing link mount could have been reconsidered. Setting it up is a fiddle requiring a shortened Alan key and much patience.

Despite being enamored with my Zen from the outset, I have waited to submit a review until I'd been riding the bike for a while. I'm 215 lbs 5'11" and ride mostly tight single track, some longish climbs, some bumpy descents. The Zen can handle all that I do very well. The frame is quite light and despite some reports to the contrary is solid in the rear end - just keep an eye on your main pivot and make sure it is snug. I have come to know how this bike will behave more quickly than my other bikes as it hands me no surprises, tracks great and climbs very well (in the saddle). On the downhills it responds to very minor body input, but is far from twitchy. The rear end will only accommodate 2.1-2.2 inch tires but I do not consider this a limitation as I have no desire or need to go larger. I have found that the handling improved with more air pressure than I normally carry in the rear shock (250 psi) and maximal rebound damping. Overall it just a cool and somewhat rare bike. The new Jamis Dakar has a design that is almost an exact copy but can carry none of the mystique of MC and will not match the customer service which is fabulous at MC.

Similar Products Used: Haro VL 120 (cool but quirky), Motobecane fantom comp (thoroughly cool-I really miss my fantom).
jrcxu   Cross Country Rider [Jul 04, 2008]
Strength:

Lightweight, great design, climbs awesome, minimal pedal bob, continuous cable housing, oh and it looks sweet

rear tire clearance, not an issue in dry CO

Great bike, too bad they dont make these anymore...oh wait, you can still buy them, but they call it the Jamis Dakar XCR now (they're not as cool looking as the Zen though). I highly recommend getting your hands on one on these and racing it, or hanging it on the wall. Or better yet, sell it to me.

Mountain Cycle is the best bike company in the world, and yes, they're still in business. Send them an email telling them to bring back an XC bike.

Similar Products Used: Mountain Cycle Moho STS, Trek 6500 & 7000, Kona AA
Timur   Weekend Warrior [Jul 03, 2007]
Strength:

1. Good price for frame+shock
2. Strong frame
3. Nice painting (black ano)

1. Very little mud clearance in the rear
2. Very little room for bottle/lighting accu.
3. Cabling mounts locations are not yet perfect...

Frame-shock does work good (oh, shock stuck in the beginning).
And God is in details: nor mud clearance, nor bottle mount location allow to call this frame "perfect".

P.S. MC does not produce XC bikes anymore.

Similar Products Used: Jekyll, Gemini, FSR
Tricky Dicky   Weekend Warrior [Mar 11, 2006]
Strength:

Wow - stiff frame, medium size with shock & headset cups in place weighed in at 6lb 5oz (painted version). OK in the mud too surprisingly as there aren't any small gaps or holes for the mud to get into - just a big shelf behind the BB where it all collects and falls off! Top quality build. Linkages all tucked nicely out of the way and plenty of adjustment for the seatpost to be useful too. Good BB clearance & standover height. Amazing to ride but amazingly simple too!

Linkage bolts come loose on 3rd ride. Now loctited up and checked regularly. Parts of frame (gusset for seat post) are mud & water traps plus I get a lot of water retained near the BB. Decals are utter rubbish! Front mech is a pain to set up but fit and forget I suppose.

I can't believe how nice it has been to jump on bike (210 lbs; guessed at 150psi/115psi shock pressure) and just ride and not have to faff about with settings. Bargain 2nd hand as no-one knows what they are :o)
I took a chance on this one as there weren't many reviews around last year - and I got a much better bike than I was anticipating. Go and buy one if you're a proper rider who wants an all day bike.
You'll also get noticed a lot as people have no idea what these things are!

Similar Products Used: I-drive. Test ridden plenty of other stuff too.
Axel Kiebooms   Cross Country Rider [Mar 04, 2006]
Strength:

You don't have to be an engineer to see the building quality is top notch. Simple suspension design and can handle a lot of situations.

Had a problem with the 5th element shock in the beginning ( it lost air when sitting on the bike ) but one phonecall to barracuda was enough to gett a new one, witch is working fine now.

I ride this bike for a year now and everytime I like it more, if you want a well build , simple FS bike this is it.

Similar Products Used: Litespeed Hiwassee
Sean   Cross Country Rider [Feb 19, 2006]
Strength:

Quick up hill, stable downhill. Solid bike yet light weight. Overall great XC bike!

Nervous about reported problems with 5th element shock but no problems thus far.

Compared to other bikes ridden, a great value for a bike that well out performs all bikes tested.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Blur, Cannondale Phrophet 2000, Specialized Stump Jumper FSR Expert Disc.
ANDY DODSWORTH   Weekend Warrior [May 11, 2007]
Strength:

Build quality is fantastic, top welds and features. Climbs like nothing I have ever ridden. Goes down well too.

Mud clearence is not good for UK trails, 2.1 is really the max you can use on this bike in the UK

Amazing bike for the money, great quality, rides perfectly, most of all its fun and trustworthy, no nasty suprises. Only draw back is it is deffinatly a UK summer bike due to mud problem.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Heckler.