Motobecane 400DS XC Full Suspension

• M-Wings Riser Bar
  • Stem and Micro-adjust Seatpost
  • CST ATB Blackwall tires

mike bird   [Jan 22, 2013]
Strength:

Inexpensive full suspension. Good looking bike.

Shimano Alivo group does not perform to expectations.

I bought this bike online from Bikes Direct. Easy to assemble out of the box. I'm happy for what I paid for. Necessary upgrades are pedals, tires. Bike rides well on trails but because it has only a spring and not a shock, it bounces when riding on the street. Takes a lot away from the pedal stroke. I now use mine as a winter bike in Minneapolis. Put a studded tire on front to help pucker factor on the ice. Real drawback is under 30 degrees bike will not shift at all. Cables collect moisture and stop moving. Front forks freeze up too. All these things can be fixed with upgrades so why not buy the better setup to start. Bottom line is you get what you pay for and I would recommend it for entry level FS buyer.

brf4n   Weekend Warrior [May 30, 2012]
Strength:

Cool looking frame, very beefy

Rear coil shock

I bought this bike as a backup when I crashed my Fantom Pro DS. This is a great bike for the money, and once it's tuned properly, it rides really, really well. However, it is mandatory to replace the spring shock with an air shock - there is just too much bob while biking with the spring. I got a Swinger 3 Way for eighty dollars to replace it. Total, I spent $520 on this bike, and I could not be happier. The lockout is really good (the fork is amazingly rigid after turning it on) and it is very ridable through trails. During those times, on trails, the bobbing while pedaling is not very apparent, and the spring does it's job well. It is just while riding on roads that the bobbing is annoying.

xtrailer   Cross Country Rider [Jul 04, 2010]
Strength:

Excellent bike for the money. If you will do just cross country this bike is perfect as is. Light, good breaks, tough rims and shocks. I ride it 2 - 3 times per week in some tough terrain in the Alafia Park on Blacks and Double Blacks. For these demending trails I upgraded the front fork to Marzocchi Bomber 44 Air 140mm tarvel and the back coil to a Fox Float with 2.75 inch travel, all from ebay. Now I have an awesome bike which can take any terrain for $800.

I recommend it.

mstguide   Weekend Warrior [Nov 14, 2008]
Strength:

Good bike for the money. I enjoy it as much as my Giant Ht.

Cracking noise. (probably the head area)

Good for the money is surviving daily crashes and deep water pretty good so far. Definetly not a copetition bike, but good for some abuse.

"if you don't want to pedal don't buy a bike."

Similar Products Used: Mongoose junk, treks ht, giant ht.
David   Weekend Warrior [Apr 05, 2006]
Strength:

Cheap full suspension

You get what you pay for, bent the wheel in 3 places on my frist ride on easy trails. Have to constantly adjust things.

I should have spent the money on a higher end bike

Similar Products Used: First mountain bike
anthony   Downhiller [Apr 26, 2007]
Strength:

It is a really solid frame i have the 2008 model its gold but i have to say for the money i paid i couldnt have gotten a better bike. i weigh 190 pounds and the frame seems solid under me

the front forks need upgrading but they are decent for a beginner but i am past that stage i have a giant vt2 also so this is a bike im going to upgrade and keep it parked for a while except on when im going somewhere i havent ever downhilled before

It is worth the money and its the best bang for the buck