Morewood Zula XC Full Suspension

• SPI Lite - simple, refined pivot interface
  • 100mm [4"h] rear wheel travel
  • Enduro MAX sealed pivot bearings

Frankthelab   Cross Country Rider [Aug 12, 2010]
Strength:

Climbs well. Responsive steering. Confident and predictable in technical terrain at any speed. Geometry and weight suit all day riding and encourage speed. Relatively slack head angle, stiff frame and sorted suspension inspire confidence and encourage you to be more aggressive. Single pivot design is great for low maintenance riding in wet regions and the stays offer massive tyre and mud clearance.

The frame is exactly what I wanted and I'm happy with the build I chose but I'm resrving judgement on my choice of tyres for now.

I wanted a bike that felt more sure footed without losing the speed and climbing ability of my old bike. While I am not a racer, I didn't want a light weight AM rig that would take the fun out of my local trails which are flowing single track rather than big drops and jumps. I also wanted a bike that would stand up to being ridden every weekend all year and that could keep up with friends on hardtails if we're riding all day. A lot of thought and attention has gone into the Zula frame and while it feels light enough for an XC bike, it also feels very solid. The wheel base is shorter than my old bike but I didn't feel bunched up when climbing despite the shorter top tube. In fact it felt more efficient, as though I was able to transfer leg power to my pedals more easily. The more compact geometry and relatively slack headtube (for an XC bike) make me feel like I'm on a BMX when on the flat or descending. The bike wants you to get up out of your saddle and play. I'd read that this was more than an XC bike in reviews which is why (as someone who doesn't race) I matched it with a 120mm maxle fork, bigger, stiffer rims with more spokes and larger volume tyres. The result is a great compromise between something that is light enough to climb and ride all day with enough feedback to make the most of any trail and yet it has the strength and attitude of a bigger, heavier bike. It doesn't bend under pressure or feel nervous and lose it's shape. It inspires confidence and pushes you further. The single pivot design and excellent tyre and mud clearance make this an easy bike to live with come rain or shine. The suspension is easy to tune and I would challenge anyone riding a linkage suspension bike to find fault with the Zula's ride. If you are looking at buying a 26" bike from 100mm - 120mm then the Zula is well worth considering.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Sugar
OVERALL
DirtSA   Racer [Apr 22, 2010]
Strength:

Super stiff, responsive XC race bike that covers the ground efficiently and handles like a trail bike

none as yet

I am super impressed with the Zula. The finish on the frame is amazing, anodized bits, clean cable routing, clear coat over the stickers (this is new on the Zula as apposed to other Morewoods).

The bike uses it's travel well and feels more like a multi-link bike over the small bumps yet never blows through it's travel.

Descending I was really surprised that I quickly forgot I was on a 100mm bike. The thing that has always kept me away from typical XC suspension race bikes is the flexy feel that robs confidence. None of this on the Zula.

Winter is on it's way here in SA but I don't think that will keep me off of this one!