Mongoose Canaan Elite XC Full Suspension

• Handlebar: Easton EA50 Lo Rise, 25.4 mm
  • Stem: Easton EA50 6 deg angle

[Jul 06, 2011]
CrozCountry

Strength:

This bike is comparable to $3K bikes in terms of frame and kit. This makes it the best deal you can find, especially if you find it on sale. Freedrive system is the best rear suspension I ever tried, comparing to Blurs, Giant maestro, rocky mountain element, Marin Quad SC, and a few others not worth mentioning.

Older models had a frame issue around the connection of the seat tube and top tube. The newer frames added an aluminum triangle there, so problem gone. Would be nice to get nicer wheels, but at this price no other bike comes with nicer wheels. Not a big fan of centerlock discs.

I was very impressed by the frame design. After owning and testing a few other rear swing arm designs, this is the best one I have ridden. The freedrive system works really well when you paddle, and it works the same in all gears. The rear axle path is basically a high single pivot, like downhill bikes.

The combination of high single pivot and very effective anti bob is the best of both world, and is just magic. This suspension is the best combo of downhill performance and paddling that I ever tested, though this is not a dedicated downhill bike. I don't feel the bottom bracket movement, probably because the rear travel is not as long as downhill bikes, where this should be more noticeable.
The freedrive system plain rocks.

The frame has so many good things going on for it.
First of all, its beautiful. Two long triangles and high tech looking rear suspension.

The shock lockout is easily accessible and visible from top, unlike other frame designs that put it upside down or burry it in an aluminum cage.

Good standoff clearance. Pretty important if you want to have kids.

The geometry is super. Slightly longer means you can ride fast for hours comfortably. It also means that riders that should normally go for a large can live happily with a more nimble medium, which is what I did.

HUGE ground clearance, more than any frame in that league. That was my main reason picking this bike over the Giant Trance X, there are too many giant frames with dented down tubes out there. You can ride over obstacles and logs with a clear mind.

The combination of high single pivot that has awesome bump absorption, great anti bob system, and high ground clearance means you can ride through obstacles like no other bike. If the pedals are not hitting it, you can ride through it. You can also climb over big rocks in a steep uphill. Just paddle hard and go straight through. The bike is a champ climber for rocky terrain. I climb what my friends walk, I just pedal and let the bike do the work.

Upgrading:
Pretty difficult without shelling huge amount of dollars, since the build kit is already top. I would start in that order:
Replace large chain ring with bash guard, to make the best technical climber even better.
Tubeless
Handlebar/stem
Wheels.

Upgrades should be rather expensive because the stock components are already good. Fork for example weighted 1.6 KG on my scale. Hard to beat that weight. I put the wheels last since the bike comes with decent wheels and you need at least $500 to get something lighter, and for $500 it's not going to be much lighter and probably not worth spending.

Weight of the frame is inline with top of the line dual suspension frames. Carbon is lighter than aluminum.

I got the bike for the build kit, but fell in love with the frame. One of the best designed and executed aluminum frames out there at any price range. The only thing preventing it from being the absolute best I know of is the weight. If you can live with an extra pound, this is the bike to have. Shave that pound from the wheels and reach nirvana.

Santa Cruz Blur, Giant Trance X, Rocky Mountain Element, Marin Quad XC

[Sep 23, 2010]
Trailhead

Strength:

My review is for a 2008 Canaan Elite. Great XT components (which have been lowered in the following two years), light weight for a full-suspension, rides well.

Frame cracked after 5 trail rides. Like a previous reviewer it cracked on the back where the RP2 shock connects, so obviously there is an issue there.

This seems like an awesome bike especially for the $$$; however, there seems to be an issue with frames cracking after reading many of these reviews. I had only ridden mine off road 5 times with NO WRECKS and it failed. Also, since mine is 2 years old (bought last years model in 2009) there were no white frames to replace it with so I got a red 2009 instead which I do NOT like as well.

GT Hardtail

[Jul 25, 2010]
smoothsteel

Strength:

Light, great suspension, handles and climbs well

paint scratches easily
a lot of gunk can accumulate in "busy" swingarm area
Looks kinda funny

Killer value for this lightweight crosscountry machine. Swore I would never go full suspension, but I actually climb faster on this than my old ti hardtail.

mongoose ti hardtail

[Oct 24, 2009]
Sir Robin

Strength:

Nice ride, very nimble. The geometry gives you a great downhill feel. Great components, great value

Broke my 2007 frame along the top bar by the seat post from fatigue. (Me being 210 lbs and riding several times a week may have contributed to this.) Mongoose/Performance was apprehensive about replacing the frame claiming the seat was too high but eventually gave in and replaced the frame and rebuilt the bike for free. (Lesson - If you break your frame lower the seat before you turn it in, although I ride within the seatpost limits.) The 2008 frame they replaced it with has a reinforcement "triangle" between the top bar and seat post bar which acknowledges the weakness in the frame. Another thing I don't like is the "busyness" of the suspension above the crank. It makes cleaning and lubing of the crank area difficult. One more - the top bar is a bit high as the frame is made from standard tubing and therefore does not curve. Tough downhills where your "ride the bar" may threaten your future family.

Great ride, great components, and great value. It looks Mongoose acknowledged and fixed (one of???) their frame issue. Not in love with the rear suspension configuration, for my next bike I will probably pay more for something more standard simple, and easy to clean/lube.

[Aug 18, 2009]
speddmn

Strength:

This review is for an '07. Great components. Hundreds of $$$ cheaper than the competition. 28 lbs mediun size. A fast, fun, 4in travel cross country trail bike. Don't buy if you like to do major drops, get a DH bike.

None for me.

I've ridden about 1500 miles of singletrack in 2 years on my Mongoose and still love it! However the '09s are priced a lot higher, no longer the great bargain mine was.
I've had no frame problems but I know that Mongoose and Performance dealers stand behind what they sell.
I'm still riding on the original Kenda Karma tires and they are great. Good traction, and only one pound each! Flats have been rare, still using tubes with only air in them (28 psi). Never had a pinch flat. Other than the crank problem that was warrantied, the rest of the drive train is still working perfectly.

Cannondale Jekyl

[Jul 20, 2009]
Miso

Strength:

Nice XC bike, if not broken. Actually the components are very nice, but the frame.

Mine cracked as well around the top tube above the seat/top tube junction, I was lucky enough to notice before it came off.

Despite being a nice bike, I rate it as poor, because a frame must not crack withing 6 months of low key usage (travelling from and to work in flat parts of London). I don't want to imagine what would happen during a race!

Pos: Mongoose offer a replacement after I had to send the bike in. Evans cycles offered me to change to another brand as I was not confident in this frame (and did not like the 2009 colour).

[Jun 24, 2009]
jmz2309

Strength:

Here are the good things about the bike. It weights 26lbs for a medium which is great. Having all the XT components (2008 version which is what I have). Being able to ride it all day with out wearing you out to fast. It’s not like most XC bikes where you feel like your riding on a knife blade.

this is the bad about this bike. I have owned it for about 2 months now about 100 miles on it and the frame is cracked. (I am currently waiting on the new frame now.) Here is what is odd about the crack: Fist the crack is on the frame above the back end of the PR2 fox shock. There should not be to much pressure at that point. (Is the metal weak that Mongoose uses?) 2ed I am only 135lbs at 5’7’’ so I am fairly small. What happens if someone bigger than I ride it?

The bottom line is a want to love this bike. I love riding it, like the components for the price. You wont find anything near this price point with the same components. But the Frame broke. I am hoping they don’t take to long getting me a new frame. Maybe this is a once in a blue moon kind of thing (lets hope). If I was to do it over again I would buy this bike as long as it does not brake again for me. This is my second Mongoose I had the 2008 Teocali and loved it that’s why I upgraded to the Canaan Elite.

[Dec 15, 2008]
mannnu81

Strength:

I was attracted to the XT package and weight of this bike. under 30LBS for LG. i havent weighted it, but compared to my old K2 Lithium 3.0 its a feather.
For the price, im not sure you can get a better package. I also like Performance's lifetime service for free on the bike . Handling is good, best bike i had so far, but i havent owned very many.

white gets dirty fast, also scratches make it look ugly. Medium seemed too small for me, felt clustered, Large feels bigger than it should. Some reported cracked frames but Mongoose offers lifetime frame warranty, so im looking forward to a Canaan Team frame replacement.lol

2009 Caanan Elite model has only few XT parts, LXs mostly, its nasty pinkish red and MSRP $2500. 2008 model has XT all around and i snagged it at 1640 tax included and 10% back on my card for shoes etc. I say go for it if you're shopping in this price range. Bottom line, there might be better bike out there, but competitive pricing and an awesome package makes it a great value. BTW its got good reviews by cycling mags

bikes in order of ownership: Giant Rincon, K2 Lithium 3.0 and now Canaan Elite

[Dec 14, 2008]
Jono

Strength:

Umm...rides great when it's not broken

Frame

Where do I start with this one? This is my third review, my second broken Canaan frame, four months of no bike, and great support from Jenson and Pacific bikes. Given this is a bike review I’ll focus on the bike. This review is for the warranty replacement frame that replaced the first one that cracked around the top tube at the seat/top tube junction. When it’s working I love the way it rides, relaxed, smooth, quick steering but not too quick, predictable - but none of that matters if I can’t ride the bike. So my second frame (’08) has also cracked at the seat/top tube junction, but this time on the seat tube. I’m a 174lb (78kg) XC rider, commute five days a week, ride offroad 4 hours a week, and not that hard on frames (never broken a frame in my life except for these two) so I can only presume there’s a flaw in the design somewhere and the extra top tube gusset on the ’08 model appears to have transferred stress to the seat tube….

So while I love the bike when it’s working I can’t rate it highly while it continues to break.

On the bright side I suggested to Jenson that if the ’09 Canaan design hadn’t changed then we’d all be happier if the they replaced it with a GT Marathon – GT being a sister company to Mongoose in the Pacific Cycles stable – and they did good, sending me an ’08 Marathon 1.0. No shipping charges and no sending the broken frame back which is pretty important when you live in New Zealand and shipping costs are high. There was a problem getting the shock sorted out but all good in the end. 1 chilli for the Canaan, 5 for Jenson & Pacific bikes.

98 Marin Rift Zone, test ridden 07 Rift Zone

[Sep 15, 2008]
Da Newb

Strength:

I felt right at home first time out on this bike, and as far as component wise, it's comparable to other brands at sticker price well over $3K. At 26Lbs (medium) it's not bad at all, rake's kinda more of a relax position which really helps if you planning on riding more than 3hrs. I'm lovin this bike, if i ever considering of an upgrade on the same level, i probably will go for BlurXC, other than that, i wouldn't think it's necessary to switch brand..

Weak frame, 2007 models the triangle (welds) are bad, and mine which is 2008, the pivot points are bad.
The pivot point where the RP23 shock sits cracked (hairline) the second time i took it out on 3hrs ride (technical singletrack). Took it back to performance and still awaiting for words from Mongoose.
Might wanna switch to different tire set-up (small block eight came stock) for real life sittuation, stock tires only good for racing on hard surfaces..

Best bang for the buck as far as all around XC. As far as looks, it's definetely looks better than a rocky mountain..

Ironhorse Azure MKIII, Bianchi Hardtail single speed.