Merlin 4.0 XC Full Suspension

Merlin 4.0 XC Full Suspension

The Works 4.0 is the culmination of intense research and testing to find the ultimate XC bike. Built around durable Merlin titanium MTS front triangle and matched with an ICT four bar link suspension system from Ellsworth are guaranteed a plush, proven ride quality. The Works 4.0 offers a performance partnership never seen in a titanium full suspension bicycle.

[Feb 22, 2009]
leandro valderrama

Strength:

Super light, fast, plush, very comfortable if you set it up right. To all Iloilo bikers (mountain bike or road bike), if you want to properly set up your bike, Master class bike mechanic Jimmy Ng can do if for you at value shop.

none for now...

Quite expensive but a very nice bike if you can afford it.

khs 604

[Jan 17, 2009]
the_pilot

Strength:

Beautifully made, light, supple suspension, great traction, lively feel

A little flex in the rear triangle, fiddly rear mexh cable routing

Really love it, I wanted a short travel light susser after my S-works enduro. which was too far away from a hardtail for me, it just flatenned the trail, I needed something that felt more like a comfy hardtail for all day use, but also Ti for the feel but more for the longevity.
The ICT suspension system is very low energy loss and provides great climbing traction, the bike builds up light and is very fast XC, just what I wanted. I wouldn't have paid the list price, but I got it for less than a new alloy Truth in perfect condition so well worth it for a bike for life. I ride a hardtail for the rough stuff (On One Ti456) so I am a bit weird. I managed to speak to the other guy on here from the UK, it convinced me to get one and his review was spot on.

Cannondale prophet, specialized epic, Specialized s-works Enduro

[Jun 10, 2008]
Scott Bays

Strength:

sweet ride

durability

Follow-up to post 8 months ago. As you can read below, got this bike because they could not make a Niota Ti for me that would not break (tried 4 of them). This is a very sweet ride until it too broke on the seat tube just below the lower support. I just don't understand it, I'm not over weight at 6'3" 195lbs. Guess I just can't ride a ti full suspension. Still waiting to see what they are going to do at American Bicycle Group.

niota ti

[Jul 26, 2007]
James Kenningham

Strength:

It's a Merlin so it's beautifully built (particularly the front triangle), and should be extremely long lasting (the front triangle at least). Very supple suspension action, which feels particularly helpful on steep rocky climbs where you can just sit and spin. Good down hill too, but with only 100 mm on offer one still needs to come off the saddle on really rocky descents. Good mud clearance. No squeaks or rattles yet, but I have only used it for one week (albeit a very tough, wet, muddy week in the Lake District).

I must admit that some of the things I've heard on here & elsewhere about Ellsworth (who make the aluminium back end) did make me think twice about buying this bike. But Andy at Alf Jones' Cycles knows me well & reassured me that with my history of not breaking bikes I'd be unlikely to have any worries with this one.

The only significant disappointment I've had relates to the way the back end was assembled. None of the (aluminium) bolts had any grease on the shafts or heads, & no threadlock on the threads. Completely unacceptable on a bike of this price on sale in the (wet & muddy) UK. The Merlin website contains no advice regarding maintenance of the pivots, torque settings for the bolts, or shock set up. The Ellsworth website is slightly more helpful. I have tried to raise this with Merlin in the US via email, but have not had a reply. I spoke to a chap called Simon Styles on the 'phone in the UK earlier this week, but have still not received any useful information.

Not a big fan of their new decals. I like the old discreet white ones.

I love the ride & quality of the welding. Yes it's expensive, but I've long been a big fan of all things Merlin & Ti. You just can't beat the longevity of a good quality Ti frame. My 10 year old Merlin Taiga spent many weeks in the Alps, banging on the side of a chairlift on the way up, with never a dent & only the odd slight scratch. Bit disappointed with the short comings in the way the back end was assembled, the lack of information from Merlin & their customer support so far. And that's coming from a guy who has bought 3 of their bikes!

If anyone at Merlin is reading, please get in touch.

I don't have a great deal of experience with full suspension. Did try an Orange 5 in Glentress last year. Thought it was good, but the Merlin 4.0 is much more supple, especially on uphills or when breaking - I guess it's just a single pivot vs true-4-bar thing.

I've had a Merlin Taiga since 1997 and loved it. Prior to that had an Orange P7 and Saracen Kili Flyer Comp.

Also have a Merlin Extralight road bike.

[Oct 14, 2007]
Scott Bays

Strength:

Buttery smooth, climbs well, decends even better, Ellsworth rear end

So far none except cost, but I guess you get what yo pay for

After my Niota frame broke 4 times, and extreme haggling with american bicycle group (shame on you guys), they finally gave me the Works and it rides even sweeter than my Niota did (and it was a sweet ride). I'm reviewing only the bike here and not ABG (parent co. of Merlin and Litespeed), so in my opinion buy the bike but beware the company. Just hope the Works holds up.

Niota Ti, Santa Cruz Blur