Marin Rift Zone XC Full Suspension

Frank   [Dec 08, 2014]
Strength:

Unbreakable, great all rounder, good enough for trails and xc,

Have also fitted lightweight parts which do improve bike.

Russell   [Sep 20, 2014]
Strength:

Great all rounder, climbs very well, not fastest down hill. Good forks, better with carbon bars and light weight seat and post.

Cassette is a little dated.

Had bike 5 years , ridden many miles, not had to replace any bearings, needs light weight parts to improve.

keithouli   [Jun 06, 2012]
Strength:

build quality, reliability, looks

have not had any issues

only thing i changed on the bike when i bought it new in 2000 was to replace the forks with PACE EVO and shimano spd's
Have ridden approx 4000 miles , only failure in this time was bottom bracket changed once. Still on original headset (still good) . Rear suspension swivel is guaranteed for life and has given absolutely no issue.
Lacquered finish is still looking good with only a few whitish marks and when contacting Marin about these they said it was nothing to worry about, this was app. 6 years ago
Would recommend highly .

pulpwoody   Cross Country Rider [Dec 16, 2009]
Strength:

Great price. Lots of room for big tires, can fit 650b wheels.

Back end is very flexy, suspension sucks up the pedal strokes.

This was my first f/s bike, so I didn't really have a reference point. I got a great deal on it, and it fit me pretty well, so I got it. As the years went on, and as I started to understand bikes a bit more, the little weaknesses started showing. The big one was the back wheel flex. I think this was more a symptom of the hub and wheel set up rather than the frame, but the wheel flexed a TON. This was remedied, but not fixed, by going with a 10mm qr in the back. I felt like the suspension sucked up my pedal strokes. I tried to stiffen up the shock to compensate, but that just made the downhills too stiff. I felt the handling was a bit slow and on the steep climbing, the bike would get away from me and wander off. I rocked the bikes for almost three and half years, and did pretty well with it, so this is a bike/rider relationship. I was able to conquer some crazy technical and steep hill on this thing, and I used and abused it, until I eventually broke it. Marin was great with the warranty and sent me a brand new Mount Vision frame and fork!!! Great warranty department, but I'm selling the frame to go 29. This was a great intro to the full suspension world for sure, and I have no regrets about getting this bike. I beat the holy hell out of it, and it lasted as long as it could. Good beginner bike.

Similar Products Used: ridden lost of bikes
Greg   Cross Country Rider [Oct 21, 2008]
Strength:

Fast. Nimble. Great climber. Stiff rear end. Quick and responsive steering. Controlled but fun.

Bottom bracket height. Had a few issues with my Fox Forks but all Fox are not made equally. Also had to get my rear shock rebuilt as it packed down but Fox are famous for this.

Mine is the last of the good ones a 2006 model.
Great climber and nimble, fast and fun to ride. Guess you gotta decide is it fast XC/allmountain.... or Freeride that you want. The new shape is freeride in my books and I have'nt liked the ones I've ridden. But that's my taste.
Interesting though.....Marin are bringing out the "Alchemist" FSR. A 100mm fast XC bike. Kinda makes you think don't it!

Boneman   Cross Country Rider [Aug 14, 2008]
Strength:

The new, improved suspension design and the geometry. This review is for a 2007, the first model year of the "new" quad suspension design. I got a smokin deal 'cause it was a holdover from last year, and its pink!

Sizing; being 5 10, I fit right between the medium and large, and went with the medium. They should have made the large a little smaller, and made a bigger, XL size. I believe Marin did this in the 2008 model year.

THIS IS A SMOKIN' RIDE!
The new suspension design (2007) is much better and worth the upgrade over the previous (post 2007) model. The extra inch of travel allows you to handle anything a mountain trail will give you, and the new suspension design has gotten rid of just about all "brake jack", my only issue with the previous Marin suspension design. The new frame design also has a slightly slacker head angle; climbing was not effected, but it handles the descents much better.
I don't know what the others are talking about, the 2007 suspension is quite an upgrade from the previous, which I will admit was a great design (I rode it and loved it for over 3 years). However, after my first ride on the new design, I had no problem with selling my old one.

Similar Products Used: 2004 Marin rift zone, have demo'd trek full sus.
ade marko   Weekend Warrior [May 16, 2008]
Strength:

Great light XC - awesome on climbs and stable on descents, a good allround reponsive XC bike. 2006 model

Had issues with standard truvativ cranks, the bolt that fastens the crank arm kept unwinding even with use of lock tight, did notice this as a criticism of the crank on other forums, so replaced with XT hollowtech II crank set, Also rear WTB hub would not hold together properly and would cause rear gears to skip, so again replaced with XT. This could have been my fault as took the bike on downdhill course for a week in Morzine, too light and diffently not made for that sort of abuse.

great light XC, makes climbs easy and gives the control for the downhill,

Few parts wore out earlier than i would have thought but to be expected over time epecially if abuse the bike a bit.

Keith   Cross Country Rider [Aug 30, 2007]
Strength:

Firstly and most importantly the frame geometry is superb, a little high to get used to at first but now when I get back on my Hardtail it seems to be on the floor! The high front end gives you confidence when tackling more technical downhill sections, while the slightly higher Bottom Bracket means you may have your saddle a little higher than usual as well. The Fox F100R Forks and the Float Rear Shox are both smooth and require very little setting up (You will need a Fox Pump to set the sag). If you are looking for a full-on Downhill bike then the travel available may well be too little but this is not a downhill bike it's a X-Country bike that can handle the descents! The rear shox show very little sign of bobbing while climbing (it feels like a Hardtail) and performs extremely well on the descents. The rear triangle makes little to no noise when hitting the rough stuff and so far I have not felt any bottoming out of the shox or any inkling that it is out of its depth! The Juicy 5 brakes are the first disc brakes I’ve had (although I have ridden with discs before) once bedded in they are extremely powerful and responsive. As for the rest of it; the finishing kit (Mostly FSA) / the wheelset (Mavics) and the Groupset (mostly Deore/LX) it is all high quality stuff and for the money I think Marin have kept very good attention to detail. Obviously the Frame and Forks are the most important thing but at this price it’s nice to see finishing kit that you like. So where have I tested this then? Well if you know Cambridge, UK at all well you will know its pretty flat (although I have taken the bike for a play in any chalk pit/bombhole I can find! It has also been to Cwmcarn Wales which is probably a much better test as it puts the bike through high climbs with fast and sometimes technical downhill. The only other thing to add is that the bike looks absolutely stunning is only marginally heavier than my whippet of a hardtail and all in all i'm very pleased with my purchase.

During the couple of month’s ownership of the bike it has become extremely obvious that the paint chips extremely easily! I must admit I’ve come off it twice but both falls were silly fairly low speed falls and shouldn’t have been high damage! I have had some problems with the front brake rubbing after removal of the wheel (it seems to need adjusting every time I remove the wheel) although this might be me not being used to Disc brakes.

For a go anywhere all day riding bike you can't go wrong with the 2006 Rift Zone! It climbs as well as it descends and there seems to be very little penalty for me to go from a hardtail to a full susser. If you want to ride downhill’s all day long and are not really bothered by weight etc there are other bikes for you but for the X-Country/Trail user this bike makes a lot of sense!

Similar Products Used: TREK 8900 (1999 Spec) Hardtail
Tom   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2007]
Strength:

Fast, light, great full suspension bike. Great components, climbs great, descends wonderfully.

Moved from Hardtail to full, and this is just as fast and light. Love the bike. I can't believe anyone would go wrong with this bike.

Mick Lucas   Weekend Warrior [Jun 19, 2007]
Strength:

Very fast and nimble with a solid frame that's stiff and responsive. Great components and I got a discount for the 2006 model

Again this is for the 2006 model.....and again, at the risk of being boring, I also have demoed the new shape 2007 model and was not impressed.
This 2006 model is great for fast XC and all mountain. It can handle more than just XC and is argueably the best and stiffest frame that Marin has made. There are interesting little gussets in different places and a slightly different swingarm from the earlier models, also the geometry is tweaked to give faster and more positive steering I think. The rear shock is a Fox R propedal and has a bigger air chamber than it used to have which helps to provide a more linear performance and of course propedal and 4 bar linkage makes the bike climb like a gazelle. Fast single track it will simply eat up and basically it is a great all-rounder. Component choice is carefully thought out and very good. I got this on sale as it is a 2006 model and that is fantastic value for money for so much bike. ( what a classic vintage!)I really can't say enough about it because I am so impressed.

Similar Products Used: Specialized, Norco, Mountain Cycle, Turner and Ellsworth and Marin.