Kona Kikapu XC Full Suspension

Kona Kikapu XC Full Suspension

[Feb 01, 2012]
DonQuix78

Strength:

Simple, effective design, so a piece of p**s to work on. Solid frame. Still looks the part (after a few upgrades). LOVE the geometry.

A little dated now, obviously, so the stock components feel primitive. Pedals are rubbish.

An absolute bargain.
I bought this as my first full sussie and after a good few years out of serious riding. I got an absolute minter, bog standard, not a mark on it for £250. It's the best money I ever spent! Although the technology's 6 years old now, it's still more than capable for most casual riders. The pedals need to go, they're useless, and the Marzocchi forks feel less than plush - though they're perfectly competent for weekend XC riding. I stuck a pair of Recon Silver on and it instantly felt better. The brakes, too, aren't bad (Hayes MX-2) but again an upgrade to hydraulics makes a world of difference to the feel. The Fox Vanilla coil, however, is solid and the only reason I switched to the air shock is because I was offered it at a price I couldn't refuse. The XM180, by the way, isn't recommended for single-pivot frames (which Kona's faux-bar linkage basically still is) but it works a dream.
Overall I've spent another good £200-300 on upping the spec of the Kikapu and the result is a bike that you simply would not be able to buy for the £550 it's cost me. It's an oldie, but a damned goodie!

[Aug 23, 2011]
samwise108

Strength:

Super durable bike and easy to work on. Not much of mine is stock except the bars, seatpost, rear shock, and brakes. Rear shock is bomb proof and is simple to adjust. Frame can take a hit and keep going!

The front fork lacked adaptability and was getting on in its years. The brakes are decent but nothing like the hydros on more pricey bikes.

I have ridden hardtails for much of my life and when I went to Moab I rented some real high dollar full-squish bikes and knew I wanted one but didnt have $2k to shell out. I found this little number on C-List for 300$ and went for it. The bike was pretty trashed with no chain, a broken front axle(!), crap tires, worn out fork, bad rear cassette, bad bottom bracket, worn out cables, and a crummy seat. The frame and other components were in really good shape so I went for it. I spent the winter building it up using middle-of-the-road parts and my overall bill still came in under 600$. It goes to show with a little work and some minimal cash this bike can come back from the grave and still manage to leave my hardtail riding buddies in the dust. It may not be a high dollar whip but for a poor college student who rides on the weekends and some afternoons, its a sweet bike!

Kona Dawg Deluxe(rented), Santa Cruz Nomad, Trek Singletrac (1993!)

[Sep 08, 2008]
mattwhi

Strength:

Solid frame easy to ride XC, handles ok for decents

Rear Stock shock I find to be very hard, a front shock with a little more travel would be nice

when I first purchased the bike I was very happy but after given the bike some hammer on some tough XC trails I found the brakes to comepletly give up (scary decents with no brakes) hence up upgraded front to hydraulic, this year the bike seems to be slowly falling apart upgraded the components slowing. bottom bracket and headset creek allot which is anoying

nothing similar - Commencal Supreme mini DH

[Aug 03, 2007]
Ricky G-money

Strength:

Nice looking gold frame! Looks very sturdy, all components work great. Front shocks are starting to feel a little softer after a few weeks of riding which is nice. Price is great for full suspesion bike with disk brakes! This bike will get better with age (as suspension is upgraded). Loving this bike so far..

Seems to have a creeking sound coming from headset, bottom bracket, or frame sometimes.. when riding which is a little anoying at times. Chain SOMETIMES hits frame when landing from a small jump (jumping off a curb, or small obsticle) maybe a better rear derailur will keep it from doing that, I'm a noob so maybe thats normal.. Rear fox vanilla shock feels little stiff.. it will definitely be my first upgrade. Feels a little heavy, higher quality components will solve that.

Sweet bike for the price! Perfect for a begginer who is broke and wants a descent bike. You wont find much close to this quality for the pirce. Gets you on the trails! As you get better you can upgrade componets, frame is worthy of keeping around for a long time and it has a 4 year warranty.

1998 Marin Riftzone; 2003 Specialized rockhopper.

[Jul 21, 2007]
Paul McElhone

Strength:

Really plush ride after a few hundred miles bedding in.
Excellent spec for the price.

A bit on the weighty side, but I onlt notice this when putting it on the car.

Fantastic bike for the price (I paid £600 for the 9spd deore version). Although it seems heavy compared to my old Hardtail this isn't at all noticeable on the trails. It climbs like a demon, and seems to find oodles of traction going up no matter where you point it. The forks and rear shock took a little while to bed in, and okay, they're not particualrly adjustable, but at the moment they seem fine. The Fox shock eats bigger bumps, and is starting to be more responsive over the smaller stuff, yet with barely any noticable bob on seated climbs. The bike is so sorted that it's rare I have to climb out of the saddle so I don't get bothered by it bobbing about then either.
Point it downhill or on twisty singltrack and it's just got a HUGE grin factor. It handles fantastically and the riding position is perfect for me (5'10" on an 18" frame).
In short, I love this bike.

Kona Fire Mountain, Specialised Hardrock, Trek 6500

[Feb 05, 2007]
Jonny

Strength:

Unbelievable value for money, reasonable components for the price, nice feel when riding.

Slightly heavy for true XC bike, but at this price and being a full susser its par for the course. Pedals that come with bike are useless, throw them out and if you like flatties buy V8's!

I really do love this bike. Its just a great bike to ride and very much an all rounder for trail riding. You could ride long XC loops on the Saturday and tackle steep, technical trails the next day no problem. When I want to ride for a long time I put the seat up and when I want to tackle tricky descents I just drop the saddle down. The bike has never let me down. Im going to try 130mm forks on her, might not be the best idea, but I fancy seeing how much it can handle. The only criticisms I have are that I find I have to adjust the Deore rear mech frequently to keep it running sweet. Also I got rid of the mechanical discs, they were okay but nothing matches the feel of a decent hydraulic.

Specialized Rockhopper Comp - similar in that it is a similar price and an XC rig, but of the hardtail variety. Also tried Kona Dawg.

[Jun 12, 2007]
J

Strength:

-good price
-good geometry
-it's a Kona

-weight
-stock components are iffy - build it yourself or upgrade

If you can get a good deal and then put some decent components on it, you won't be disappointed.

[Feb 14, 2006]
Tobbe

Strength:

It's a Kona! And, in the EU spec, it comes with clipless pedals and disc brakes (deore mech). It rides like a good full suspension bike, stands up to abuse and is great fun overall!

The saddle is horrible. The tires are a compromise in any condition. The overall weight!

Value for money! I sold my 1998 King Kikapu because it was getting old and needed too much attention. Went on my hardtail for half a year, but something was missing. So I went for this budget - but brand new - bike. And I'm really happy with the way it rides.
If you want to go full susp without spending a fortune, try this one!

Kona King Kikapu, 1998 year model.

[Apr 07, 2004]
Justin Higgins

Strength:

Really Great Value
Frame feels solid
Brakes stop like they should

Balance between forks and rear shock seems weird, front is too hard or rear is too soft.
Standard rear spring bobbed a lot up hills for me, swapping it has fixed this but made things a bit more firm all round.

I've reviewed this in the 03' section before there was an 04' section but I've had it for a bit longer now (1500km) so I thought I'd give it another burl.

This is a great bike, but I've run into a couple of little things:

Forks went really notchy and horrible, this turned out to be because I had the pretension turned down to nothing to get the most travel out of them, putting a little bit of tension back on made everything smooth again.

It's worth upgrading the chain, I guess most bikes come with low quality chains and it's a cheap upgrade to something good, feels heaps better.

I only upgraded the shifter pods because I smashed up the deore ones on there.

Cabling seemed to wear quickly, it is very dusty where I ride though.

It's great fun to ride, suspension makes longer rides much more pleasant but is too hard to really soak up big hits, this is good up hills though where it's a lot like riding a hard tail. It's quick through single trail and lets you rattle downhill at a decent pace too.

Where you really see the value of the full suspension is on flat but bumpy single trail - it lets you get in a lot more pedaling because the wheels are on the ground for more of the time compared to a hard tail. I am much faster through sections like that than I was on my old hard tail.

For this money you can't go wrong with this bike, if you need a hardcore XC race bike then I'd spend a bit more and get something lighter but if you are looking for an intermediate mountain bike that can go hard, this is it.

None.

[Nov 30, 2006]
Tommy Fuchs

Strength:

Popular suspension design that is good all around.

After riding for about 6 months I noticed a crack in the seat stay. Kona only offered to replace the bolt-on seat stay. After about a year I noticed a crack where the top tube meets the seat tube. Kona should now replace the entire frame but I will have to see. I am a 6' 170 pound rider on a 20" frame. I am not a heavy rider for my height and I would have thought a Kona would have held up better. I do not ride crazy stuff, just XC and single track. I have never dented a frame (can someone tell me how in the hell you dent a frame).

I'm not sure if I just got a lemon or if there are more frames with bad welds on them out there. I have a friend with a Kona Stuff he beat the crap out of for years with no issues, this is one reason I bought a Kona. I thought it was what I wanted at the time. The rear suspension was not as plush as my i-drive was but it did seem more solid. I was discouraged when the first crack appeared and have had my eye on a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR ever since. My FSR should be here tomorrow and the kikapu is going back to kona. The kikapu will be put back to stock once I get the new frame and put on ebay soon there after. So look for an all new Kona Kikapu soon on ebay.

GT Outpost, GT i-drive, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR