Kona Dawg Supreme XC Full Suspension

• Rims: Sun S.O.S. Welded
  • Saddle: WTB Laser V Team

[May 06, 2014]
Dan

Strength:

Tough as you like frame at a great weight and price. (I paid £500 for a new 2010 frame in the sale in 2012)

Only the odd size of seat tube limiting dropper post to a 27.2 with shim. The original Fox RP23 rear shock never felt like it could do the full range of my riding without changing pressures between rides, it was either too stiff for the rough downs or too soft for the climbs. Solved by a RS Monarch Plus High Volume. The high bottom bracket can make you feel like you are perched on top rather than 'in' the bike - but gives great chain ring clearance. Front end tends to lift during steep climbs, but that is more down to my individual set up than the bike itself.

My second Dawg, my first was a 2006 Primo, that did everything. 100 km Enduro races, UK winter rides, Lakes rides, Fort William DH track, though I would have liked a tad more travel than the 130mm I had on the forks then! I then bought a 2010 frame, the next size up as I was always a little compromised on the L. The build on the 2010 is heavier, as I have moved to RS Lyric forks (160 mm) from the various 130 - 150 32mm forks I destroyed on the Dawg. The 2010 bike isn't perhaps the most sophisticated ride out there, but it is absolutely bomb proof for my AM (all season) riding. I run Mavic DH rims, Hope hubs and Maxxis Dual Ply High Rollers which make it slower rolling than some but I am a committed if not accomplished rider (riding through rather than over things if you get my drift) and the Dawg just keeps coming back for more. The biggest improvement over the early Dawgs is the frame bearing/bush set up. I used to destroy the top hats in 3-6 months, but the 2010 frame has only really needed a couple of sets.

The paint has seemed to mark in some places in a couple of odd ways (egg shell like cracks), that doesn't really concern me as my bikes aren't pretty for long.

I think if you want an All Mountain blast you can go far wrong with this machine. It is very capable and also very difficult to break.

[Mar 24, 2011]
JOSEPH BUHAGIAR

Strength:

Great frame very durable

nothing really

Great Bike...throw anything AT IT

[Aug 10, 2010]
causey1910

Strength:

excellent all rounder super fast and stable on jumps and over the ruff stuff the xt break are super keen

me lol

cool bike...................................................................................................................................................................................................

specilized stumpjumper

[Jun 24, 2010]
bikeforlife
Downhiller

Strength:

Very durable, not to heavy, good brakes, plush suspension

the paint, the cranks sometimes gets loose

Great all- around bike, ive used it for cross-country, downhill, freeride and more, i got it for a very cheep price, its awesome

Specialized Enduro SL comp

[Jun 07, 2009]
nurseman

Strength:

Strong, durable, looks awesome, smooth ride, plenty of clearance, great design, everything about it is awesome

The paint, I would really like to have anodized paint.

Awesome bike. Great for probably any type of riding. It will last me the rest of my life and I am pretty sure that I will love it until the end!

k2 lithium 4.0, Gary Fisher hiFi Delux (demo)

[Mar 24, 2009]
Roger S.

Strength:

I have never ridin a mtb that has the same carving sensation as my snowboard. quick response,good hill climber and not to heavy

$$, I knew the Dawg Supreme was the bike for me, but the prise of bicycles are crazy

Spend the extra $$ and get a fun but aggresive bike. The only problem is the '09 is $1500 more then my '07 was (better parts) but the bottom line is $$$

Cannondale Super v 2000

[Jan 19, 2009]
lonestar_cycles

Strength:

Up or Down--it can do it with ease. Enough travel for the big stuff and not too hefty for the quick single track.

The wheels--ditch them and get a nice hand-built pair.

Bang for the Buck--Pure smile generating machine. Also the guys at Ozone could not be any nicer or helpful.

Marin Wolf Ridge, Trek Remedy, Specialized Enduro

[May 14, 2008]
Darren Toombs

Strength:

Excellent all rounder. If you can only have one bike for all types of riding then this is it. Build quality and strength superb as you would expect from Kona. RP23 shock suits the bike well. Climbs very well and descends pretty well too. As good a downhiller as you will get with 5 inches of travel. Very easy bike to throw around. Beef it up with some Pikes and an e-thirteen as I have and it makes an excellent all mountain bike.

Front end can wander on technical climbs. Fairly expensive if you buy within the current year model. I waited and bought a 2007 going cheap.

If you can only have one bike this is a superb all rounder.

Kona Dawg Primo, Iron Horse 6 point, Mountain Cycles Fury