Kona Dawg Dee-Lux XC Full Suspension

• Fox Float 100R, 100mm travel fork
  • Fox Float RL, 4.0" travel rear shock

• User Reviews (23)

bshindurling   Cross Country Rider [Apr 09, 2011]
    Strength:

Construction, Components (for the money), it climbs, it descends like a sled, and the Fox suspension is crazy plush.

For its day, this bike was the shiznit with 4x4 travel, but for a trail bike these days, it's pretty short. I'm also on my 3rd set of brakes. The stock Hayes brakes were never very good--the Hayes strokers that I upgraded to only lasted 2 seasons, and I'm finally stoked on a set of XT disc brakes.

The construction in Kona frames is crazy solid. I have shown this bike no mercy over the 7 seasons I've ridden it and have found essentially zero flaws in the construction. The pro pedal in the rear shock makes it climb as strongly as it descends.

OakeyDokey   Cross Country Rider [Sep 11, 2007]
    Strength:

This bike is sturdy. It takes a beating and keeps on going, and I'm never worried about it breaking while I'm hammering trails It also comes with a nice component package for the price. Plus, it is sooo plush.

A little sluggish uphill, but once you get the susp. set up correctly and get used to full susp. (if you're coming off a hardtail)it doesn't do too poorly. One gripe I have is that the chainslap on this bike is out of control. It's almost better to ride downhills in the middle ring to lessen it.

This bike is a blast to ride. I used to do alot of cross-country racing, and I never thought I would go to full susp. but it's awesome. I still have my hardtail for smoother trails or when I just want to hammer some uphills, but the Dawg is my primary trail bike. It handles pretty intense terrain (I don't do big drops or anything like that, this bike isn't suited for it and neither am I) and doesn't give up. I am coming off of a back injury, and I haven't been able to ride for almost 8 months. I got on the Dawg today and rode for the first time since. It was spectacular. This bike is a rocket on the downhills, climbs pretty well, and corners like it's on rails with some nevegals on it. It's not a new Ibis, or Moots, or even a flagship Specialized, but this bike rocks. When you buy a Kona, you've just bought yourself more bike for your dollar than any other manufacturer. I am 100% happy with this bike (besides the chainslap!)

Similar Products Used: I've been on alot of different bikes, most recently a Giant Carbon Hardtail.
    Crusty   Weekend Warrior [Aug 19, 2007]
    Strength:

Looks, solid, all-around performance

Kind of heavy, mediorce fork, problems with transmission

This is a great looking bike that does everything. I think it's alittle bit heavy for XC so not sure why it's classified as one. I can't really climb with this bike, but maybe because I am tired or too fat? I have some problems with the chain getting caught and stuff but could be because its too dirty? I don't like the Marzocchi fork because it's the lowest model, but I guess it can be replaced. It does the job though.

Similar Products Used: RM Slayer, Specialized Big Hit 2
    BROCKO TACO   Downhiller [Apr 03, 2006]
    Strength:

Geometry, handling, pedaling, stiffness, durability, suspension, looks.

Wheels and tires, lightweight rims and worthless, pinchflatting nokian tires. Hubs wore out on me in about 6 months. Upgraded to Tioga 2.4's and mavic 219 and problem is solved. Handlebars are a little narrow, but that's an easy fix.

This is the probably one of the best all around mountain bikes. When I was looking for a new bike, I wanted one that worked for my riding style on trails. I like hitting every kicker possible and every drop I can. This bike has the best geometry and ergonomics. It climbs like an XC bike, but decends with grace. It is easy to manual and is a good dirtjumper. Two words; CONFIDENCE INSPIRING. If you want a bike that can crank out the miles, and catch air, look no further than the dawg dee!

Similar Products Used: Nothing like it.
    Mike   Cross Country Rider [Dec 03, 2006]
    Strength:

This bike is awsome! I just wiped out, I am broke, but the bike is fine. Really tough bike! Great suspension allows you to climb with ease. This is my first full suspension and I will never go back to a hardtail. I read the reviews on this web site prior to purchasing the bike. I agree with all the superior comments.

The only weakness I can think of is the tires. Wish they were a little tougher for the terrain.

This is an awsome bike. Really can handle anything you can dish out. Friends really like the bike. This is a really solid bike, one that I plan on having for a really long time. I really enjoy the sport of mountain biking and since I have gotten this bike, I wanna get out there even more.

Similar Products Used: Fuji, marin
    Chris   [Oct 03, 2006]
    Strength:

Very durable bike. Handles more than I have the cahones for. It likes to fly on the downhills. I find it climbs better than my hardtail. It is sooo much easier on the bod even though I am riding 2x as hard.

Tires and grips are slippery. Other than that it has no other weekness

I tried many different bikes, and was frustrated by the lack of demo bikes. I wanted something that could take my mass. I got on the Dawg and it just seemed right. It may just fit me well (XL frame for 6'4" 34" inseam) but I seem to have better control and balance. There is little bob on climbing and downhill is a dream. Once the tires are replaced, it corners great. Point and shoot. The Hayes 9 Disk Brakes are unbelievable.
    I hit some mid sized jumps and 3' drops, but I would not do anything huge with this bike, get a Stinky or Coiler or SC Heckler if you want the huge tricks. Kona has told me they classify this bike as a X-country bike. I have not had any issues with the frame and I feel very safe.
    I wanted a bike that will take a beating without a ton of repairs. I have been riding hard 4 times a week 1-3 hours each ride since I took delivery in February and I have yet to have a repair (knock on wood) beyond a derailleur adjustment, a truing of the wheels, and a Brake pad replacement.
    Great all-round bike. Do not get it if you are going to go big; it is not a hucker. Get it if you want to be able to do most stunts and still be able to climb.

Similar Products Used: Tried Cdale Rush (too much bob), Gfischer Cake (chain suck on demo ride in parking lot, not good), Santa Cruz Heckler (price)and more. You can not beat the feel of a Kona on the trail.
    Paul Mercado   Weekend Warrior [May 15, 2007]
    Strength:

I like the 5 inches of suspension front and rear. I've tried to bottom out the front fork and I still only get about 4 inches. I just like the feel of this bike compared to other XC bikes, probably because its also an all mt. bike and has freeride capabilities. The shimano XT derailers are also nice. I also love the hydraulic disc brakes.

Maybe just the seat post clamp.

I only got into MTBing last yr. I really , really enjoy riding this bike, especially as of late. I thought I was given the wrong frame size at first , but I think now this is how it is supposed to fit. I,m getting more into some downhill runs and jumps and I can say that this bike can handle anything I throw at it. Because I am new to mountain biking I have put my bike through a few falls and the only thing I,ve had to fix is my odometer. This bike is takin it like a bike is meant to! I am really happy with my purchase.

Similar Products Used: This is my first real bike other than trying other peoples bikes. I started w/ a walmart special last yr.
    Gurra   [Apr 08, 2004]
    Strength:

Light, fun, excellent fork, durable

hubs, chain & cogs a bit cheapo

Used to drag my old Stinky around but its a HEAVY bike! This is such a versatile bike, light but confident, enough travel for my riding, nice angles and a joy to ride! The Fox fork is just great! Feels like a really nice M-zocchi, but lighter... Changed the specs cause I had some "bling-bling" stuff lying around, no need really. Recommend it to anyone tired of the "freeride-has-to-be-atleast-8inches" craze and looking for a great bike for the all-day experience!

Similar Products Used: Kona Stinky Dee-lux ´01
    Brad   Cross Country Rider [Sep 24, 2006]
    Strength:

Strong frame, balanced geometry & suspension, good components, decends well, plush.

A little heavy for cross country, not the best climbing.

This is a great all around trail bike. I have the Kona Bear Dee-Lux with 4" of travel front and back. Copyright issues force Kona to change the name to Dawg. Kona later changed the suspension to 5" front and rear. I imagine the newer Dawgs are even plusher.

James Collier   Cross Country Rider [Oct 30, 2006]
    Strength:

Good value for the money, rugged, reliable, comfortable and most especially wide grin generating.

A little heavy and I want to replace the stock saddle.

This is my first FS bike and I love it. I was looking for solid, reliable bike that wouldn't take to much TLC on my part to perform ride after ride. I chose the Dawg because it was sold at the LBS 2 miles down the road, had excellent reviews and felt like "my bike" as soon as I got on. I was trying to decide between the Cannondale Prophet 600, Kona King Kikapu and the Dawg Dee-lux. I chose the Dawg over the King Kikapu to get a little more travel. Ride after ride this bikes produces wide grins.