K2 Bike Apache 5.0 XC Full Suspension

• Shifters: SRAM X-7 Trigger
  • Crankset: Truvativ Firex Giga X Pipe
  • Chain: KMC Z9000
  • Wheelset: Sun DS2-XC double-wall rims
  • Tires: Kenda Nevegal 26x1.95"

levicall   Weekend Warrior [Jul 13, 2010]
Strength:

shifters, breaks, handle bars, light weight.

seat sucks, fork does not have lock out, no quick release on seat, no lock out on rear shock, TIRES ARE HORRIBLE, back hub bearings completely stopped spinning after a couple years, and crank bros eggbeaters tention is not adjustable.

alright for the money. if you have or get this bike, GET NEW TIRES.

rkrash   Cross Country Rider [Dec 23, 2009]
Strength:

Frame seems solid, fairly good components for the money I guess w/ a few major exceptions. No complaints about the brakes for me, except maybe the slight amount of drag u get when not braking.

WHEELS!!! Super low end sun ds2+xc/deore m475 hubs, with an sram pg950 cassette that weighs a ton. Wire bead nevegal tires to that weigh another ton. No lockout.

I can't believe none of the previous reviewers mentioned the wheels that came on this thing. The wheelset can b found for around $70. I decided to go with this bike because on the surface, with limited knowledge and not enough research at the time, looking it over there didn't really seem to be any comparison around the price I paid as far as components go, and coming from a proflex 4000 I was a big fan of k2. Well, I knew I didn't like this bike the first time I took it for an extended ride. But after a few solid rides I can tell you for sure that my '98 k2 proflex w/ rim brakes blows this thing away. Faster in every aspect. Proflex is a pound heavier but feels much lighter on the trail (again probably mostly due to the wheels, and the proflex still has the stock sun rhynolite rims w/ lx hubs, much much lighter then these crappy wheels on a model 8 years newer!!!). I think this bike has serious potential with a lighter wheel setup but do I really want to start spending money for parts on a brand new bike that I've ridden four times? I have to second the recomendation for Rocky Point Cycles, Awesome service, couldn't b more helpful. Should have just spent the money to upgrade the proflex, would have been half the price, damn disc brakes. Bottom line, this thing is a bear compared to my old clunky proflex. Should have shopped around more, hopefully rocky point will do something for me aswell.

Similar Products Used: '98 k2 proflex 4000 (still eating up the trails, what a beast!)
Dwight   Weekend Warrior [Jul 21, 2007]
Strength:

Great price, good setup for beginner/intermediate riders, light weight frame for price.

Brakes!

Fantastic bike for price. Excellent smooth ride. Upgrade brakes as soon as you buy this bike.

Similar Products Used: None, my first
Adam   Cross Country Rider [Mar 21, 2008]
Strength:

Price, mid level componentry, decent weight for the $. Had the bike for about 6 months now and have had no issues with it to date. Before I bought it on line I read a few reviews commenting on the Hayes Sole brakes needing constant adjustment. I set them up when I got them and have not heard a peep since. SRAM drivetrain shifts smooth and the Manitou suspension from and rear is responsive and works well. The Sun Rims are tougher than I thought and have not had to true them up.....yet. I tossed the OEM grips for ODI lock ons and put egg beaters for my paddies.

Nothing out of the ordinary noticed yet.

If you are looking for a work horse and not a racer, this is the hardware to have. You can get it now for $849 at Randall Scott since it is an '06 model (retailed for $1800+ I think) but who really cares.....they all look the same with mud on them and get you on the trails which is what it is all about anyhoo......

Thomas Lamourine   Weekend Warrior [Oct 03, 2007]
Strength:

very light frame for price!! top notch parts

rear susp bearings wear out fast

love this bike. get all the top notch parts on it for less than the big name bikes. I had purchased the iron horse warrior pro and hated it!! was always a workout to get it moving!! the front shock on the IH always flexed in corners so bad the brakes squeeked!! Rocky point cycles took it back after 3 months and gave me full credit toward this K2!! (great shop if you are on Long Island) LOVE this K2 rode a IH Azure? also and though it was OK still not as good as the Apache!! I do agree with the other reviews on the brakes... get the Avid BB7's

about the only bad thing is the rear suspension bearing have dried up and seized after a year,.. but then I didn't really take good care of them either