Intense Spider XVP XC Full Suspension

Intense Spider XVP XC Full Suspension

From the make of the top downhill race bicycles in the world, comes revolutionary Spider XVP.

Featuring the patented VPP suspension design, the Spider XVP has been reffered to by many as the best cross country specific bike ever made. A superior climber, torque sensative ascender and traction master.

[Feb 01, 2014]
OSchmidt
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Climbs with a vengeance, descend great for what it is, VPP works great.

The one of the rear pivot bolts shattered(mostly my own fault). Not perfect for technical descents.

I purchased this bike last winter off of craigslist and have loved it ever since. I race XC in the fall and the bike has taken everything that I threw at it. This bike has no problems with the exception of one of the pivot bolts having a tendency to back-out and later snapping. I have used the bike on several DH trails and aside from the short travel it held on pretty well. All in all a great ascender, a pretty good descender.

Bionicon SuperShuttle, Schwinn Rocket88, Santa Cruz Blur SL, Trek Superfly 100

[May 21, 2010]
stomper

Strength:

Gr8 trail bike, vpp works well, found it twichy at the start as my other bike's the Tracer but the bike's fully sic.
Bought it for xc raceing endro rides. Last few weeks the only bike i've riden.

a bit loose on the fast decents

Got the tracer for fast desents and big trail rideing and has been left in the shed of weeks. The Spider is an a gr8 ride quick up hills, handles swichbacks with ease. Bought as a X demo haven't looked back

Intense Tracer VP, Cannondale Rize.

[Jan 31, 2010]
Addison Hinrichs

Strength:

I really enjoy the vpp suspension I dont feel like i lose too much energy at all on the long climbs. I dont Feel that i need a lock out or a propedal I don't get alot of pedal bob.

not Completely steady on the big rocky descents but none the less it still holds a line nicely!! also bearings do need to be replaced more often than other bikes

this bike holds a line very nicely and climbs excellently good quality. i prefer intense over any other brand, good quality bikes. this bike is for someone who wants a bike that can climb, but also descends well enough to be versatile.

[Apr 14, 2009]
frana

Strength:

climbs well. rp23 lockout works great. Suspension soaks up bumps very well. Minimal bob when seated and not locked out. No problems with linkages or bearings. Linkage issues have been solved according to another user who I corresponded with.

Only thing I notice is on fast semi-rough descents, stiffness could be better.

Great XC bike. Smooth riding with VPP suspension with 20% sag. Great quality, no issues with the frame. I bought just the frame from Jensonusa. Highly recommend

02 GT i-drive

[Mar 29, 2009]
teledaddy207

Strength:

this was my first new bike in 20 yrs, I'm am wondering why I waited so long, but 4 kids came first, I averaged @ 100 miles a week August, September and October, never had to so much as tweak a thing, followed Jenson.s unpacking info and Rockshock and Fox set up. I 'm looking forward to Spring

the brakes don't modulate as well as my old XTR V's, Juicy threes, but I took the package knowing I would slowly trade up

very happy with my investment, this bike handles all I thro at it w/ ease, the ability to lock out front when climbing or on smooth trails is nice and adjust both front and rear shock on the fly is wonderful, still tweaking both shocks, previous Noleen was limited in adjustemnt

so far no bearing issues on frame

my last bike was a K2 Razorback and I loved it's suspension design, my son is now riding and racing that, bought used w/ a raceface XTR mix

[Feb 16, 2009]
Red Spider

Strength:

Light & Strong Easton Frame, stable downhill, good climber
USA Handmade

Bearings need to be replaced after 6 months

Fast & responsive frame, better than Anthem on downhill (but the frame will cost you almost double if compare to Anthem)

Giant Anthem (good value)

[Aug 10, 2008]
George

This is a follow-up to a previous post. I have been riding this bike for greater than 9 months. I ride 30 miles or more a week and I have raced the bike a bit. I bought a monoblock rear pivot..this updates the frame to 2007 spec. The frame has been great. I was worried that the pivot bolts would continue to loosen/creek. This is NOT a problem. I love riding this bike. I think this is a great bike for long rides. I also have a giant anthem. The giant is lighter and I think it climbs better. The bottom bracket of the giant is too low and is always smacking rocks/roots. I have been riding a friends specialized epic and I might like this better. Still, I would strongly recommend the spider!

Trek fuel ex9, giant anthem 1, specialized epic

[Jun 10, 2008]
zaskar1

Strength:

control comfort

i got the special deal sram setup with the ok reba race front and fox rear, still was not cheap, but is worth the $$

i was concerned that the wheels were too heavy and the limited travel of the suspension

my reservations were unfounded, as this bike climbs better than my 24lbs hardtail, an old gt zaskar race bike and sticks to the trail on the climbs and descents so i have to be careful as not to go too fast as i have absolute control

my only regret is that i didnt buy this sooner

the guys at trailhead in san jose were extremely helpful

i dont understand the negative reviews this bike has received as it is made in the usa, so you should buy this one to keep the jobs here

klein manitou

[May 03, 2008]
Dan

Strength:

efficient suspension

the seattube BB weld has cracked on all three frames I've owned.Tire clearance

I am so disappointed that all my frames have not lasted more than 12 months and I don't do any crazy stunts. They tell me that I don't have enough sag so I guess I'll have to soften it. I bought this to save my HT and my HTs last longer. so now I have to purchase a crash replacement at a discounted price and the economy is failing is so is my bank account.

Trek Fuel. Cdale Scalpel

[Oct 02, 2005]
Tom Primosch

Strength:

The Spider is a stiff and stable platform. I never feel any bob from pedaling. That makes it an efficient pedaler. However the VPP handles bumps very well.

The bolt that attaches the lower suspension arm to the bottom bracket can back off if not maintained correctly. You must make sure the bolt's thread are totally dry when you torque the bolt. I've learned a little loc-tite 242 solves the problem.

The spider is an efficient pedaler that handles bumps well. It is also stiff side to side. You can't go wrong with this frame. I use the bike for racing and trail riding. It handles everything from technical decending to powered climbing with ease.
Yes, I've had to tighten the rear suspension bolt on occasion. But it is easy to check if it is loose and there is a fix.
One thing I give Intense high marks for is there warranty service. My Spider came with a hollow suspension bolt. Intense has since done away with these for solid ones. Within 24 hours I had a new bolt and replacement bearings which I didn't even ask for. After cracking the frame this year right before a race, I called their warranty people again. The invited me to that drive to there Temecula facility and pick up a new frame. These guys stand behind there stuff. It might sound like I've had issues with the frame and should be upset. I'm hard on my bikes and have cracked my last 2 non-Intense frames. I was waiting weeks for a replacement. I've never had better service on any other product than I've had with my Spider. I must say I've never been without my spider for more than 24 hours thanks to their warranty people.
Bottom line, if you want a race and trail ready setup, the Spider is a great choice.

Gary Fisher Sugar 2+ and Santa Cruz Blur, Titus Racer X