Ibex Bicycles Ignition 2 XC Full Suspension

• Tektro Io Disc Brakes
  • Factory direct price: $599

• User Reviews (38)

rbh261   Weekend Warrior [Aug 30, 2008]
    Strength:

First full suspension bike. It's a 2008 model. I love it. Front and rear lockout for road riding. Great brakes. WTB Velociraptor's are stock tires. Tuned near perfect upon delivery.

I wish the manual covered the suspension in better detail, but the info is availble on the Ibex website.

This is my first full suspension. I am on a tight budget, but I feel I got a great value in this bike. Customer service was great when ordering. Overall quality, fit and finish is impressive at this price.

Clifford Maass   Weekend Warrior [Apr 09, 2006]
    Strength:

Maybe the oversized stem and bars and shock.

Disc Brakes, Brake Levers, frame,

This bike is pure junk if you ride hard. The brakes never stays adjusted or stop very well. The frame looks very weak at the bottom shock mount. I mean come on cast aluminum and I wish I had noticed that before the purchase. The way they have run the cables is a joke. The rear brake cable will hit your leg unless you tie strap it to the frame. I am an ace bike mechanic and have worked in couple shops in my younger days. I help all the guys I ride with maintain their bikes. I thought I was getting a deal when I bought this bike. I guess after I spend the extra cash for Avid Disc brakes. Get a buddy to custom make me the bottom shock mount when it brakes. Then this would be a good bike.
    I went with this bike because of the price as a have a small son and I watch my money. I guess I should have known better as you get what you pay for. After I buy the brakes and brake levers I will have closer to 900 in the bike.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale, K2, Mongoose and GT before Walmart
    davy   [Jul 07, 2007]
    Strength:

good front suspension, disk breaks, lock-out rear suspension.
    its a tough bike. i got the lime green and it is SWEET. the lime green looks awsome.

sometimes the disks squeak.

this bike is amazing. i was going to get a gary fisher wahoo but then i saw the ibex. i was still going to get a hard tail ibex then i saw the dual suspension. the colour is great so is the price. im 15 and 135bl and 5 foot 5 . its great i got the 16.5 frames and my dads like 6 foot and he got the 20.5 and its perfect for him. this is my first real bike and i love the bike and i love ibex

Similar Products Used: ????????/
    Xaqori   Cross Country Rider [Jan 05, 2007]
    Strength:

fork, frame, pedals

brakes stink! tires

very good for the price, good for novice & intermediate riders

Similar Products Used: fisher tass
    adam V   Weekend Warrior [Apr 30, 2007]
    Strength:

Awesome Lime green color, Great components for the money, Very well made bike. I am still amazed at the level of bike for what I paid.

None found yet

I have been mountain biking since I was teenager and decided to try a full suspension iBex ignition 2. One of my co-workers bought an ignition 1 and was so impressed with it I had to get one for myself. I paid the same amount for this ibex ignition 2 as I did my Cyclepro(Schwinn) 18 years ago and the difference is well. uh, dramatic! I easily assembled the bike in about a 1/2 hour and took it out. It felt really squirrly at first and I almost crashed after jumping off a curb since my toe clip jammed right into my tire. I almost endoed the bike. My foot rubbing the tire when i turn just didn't seem right so after close inspection I realized the forks were backwards. Doh! They did this in shipping to get the bike to fit in the box. I mean never having a bike with any sort of suspension I didn't notice the forks were backwards. Well, that was easily fixed and wow! what a difference. Other riders really comment on the cool Lime green paint color on my bike. It really looks cool in Lime green.

The bike is really solid and shifts super smooth compared to my old 18 speed MTB. I think this bike is about the same weight too as my old hard tail. I love the disk brakes but I can't say I really like the rapid fire shifters. My old bike had them and I didn't like them then either. I upgrades to grip shifters on my old bike and I am really used to them so a whole new set of sram grip shifters and derailers are next on my upgrade list. Other than that, the bike is excellent! Full suspension rocks! I am ready now to take on a whole new realm of terrain now.

Similar Products Used: 1989 - Cycle pro - Hard Tail Mountain Bike
    1987 - Mongoose Alta Pro - Hard Tail Mountain Bike
    Erik   Weekend Warrior [Apr 18, 2007]
    Strength:

Solid construction, brand name components, rear shock lock-out feature, nice geometry, very responsive, provided multi-tool (nice extra), reliable, excellent value for the price.

This is a third follow-up review after about 10 months of use; still no problems with the bike, no mechanicals, hasn't let me down on the trails once. Yeah, brakes could be easier to adjust to prevent rubbing, but that's about it.

I've now ridden over 1,300 intermediate and advanced trail miles on this thing in the past 10 months and it just won't let me down! Shifts like a charm consistently, loves the twisty single tracks of LI, and climbs well. I keep seeing all the $1,000, $2,000, and UP bikes around me on the trails and, I'm sorry, but my IBEX for the money is a heck of a value.

Similar Products Used: Various hardtails in the $300-500 range
    Erik   Weekend Warrior [Jul 06, 2006]
    Strength:

Solid construction, brand name components, rear shock lock-out feature, nice geometry, very responsive, provided multi-tool (nice extra), excellent value for the price.

None so far.

This is my third mtb and my first full suspension. After a LOT of local and internet research the Ignition 2 seemed to fit the bill for my next step up into a more rugged, responsive and FS bike. Shipped fast and arrived in fine condition. Assembly was easy though I needed to reroute the front brake cable which was passed through the forks the wrong way by factory. As with any new ride, plan on spending some time and the first few rides tuning in the drivetrain, shifters, brakes and forks. Now that I have it tuned for my typical rides, I love it. I ride intermediate to advanced trails 3-4 times per week, with a 1,035 tail miles logged so far this year. In the short time I've had the Ibex I already feel more confident traversing trail sections that gave me problems on my other bike. Shifts smoothly, brakes well, handles nasty terrain with confidence, seat is more comfortable than I imagined, handles steep hills better than any other bike I've ridden. This bike seems very satisfactory for beginning, intermediate, and even advanced riders (though riders with lots of hard core experience may prefer one of the more advanced Ibex models with upgraded components). It's early yet, but so far I am very impressed with the bike and the Ibex company. Definitely a bike I should enjoy riding for a long time!

Similar Products Used: Various hardtails in the $300-500 range
    Chason Trasport   Weekend Warrior [Mar 14, 2004]
    Strength:

Strong frame, good component selection, good fork, and disc brakes.

Front derailluer. I changed the alivio f/d to a XT and it shifted much better.

Great price for a great bike. Had a little trouble with setup but once I got that out of the way it performs almost flawlessly. Great fun downhill but not exactly the best climber. Great for a beginner and even a seasoned rider. Definitely a good all around cross country bike. Can't beat what you get for the price. Will buy again but definitly step up to a Apogee.

Similar Products Used: Giant, Cannondale, and Specialized
    KI   Weekend Warrior [Aug 02, 2006]
    Strength:

Cheap and durable

Setup and weight

Don't expect to have a great ride with this bike until after several attempts at setup. I've found the Alivio front derailleur to be pretty worthless, allowing only 2 chainrings to be used without problems, you pick the two. It also takes a while to figure out how to dial in the Tektro IO brakes.

After the first 7 or so moderate rides I've had a few other problems. The non-driveside crankarm fell off and I lost the hexbolt holding it on. Ibex sent me a replacement in about 2 days. The bottom bracket came out about 3/4 of the way on the driveside. I think this might be because it was spinning backwards on my roofrack for 400 miles, but I'm surprised by it. I'm tired of it and am replacing it with an LX crankset and BB. The Tektro brake mountings came loose after 2 hard rides, but nothing that a hex wrench on the trail didn't fix.

I am basically happy with the bike, especially for the price, but you have to practice due diligence in inspecting and tightening everything for the first few rides. My girlfriend laughs at me because I am always fiddling with it while her 3 or 4 year old Tassajara just goes. With the new crankset, and changes to the rear shock and front derailleur it will be great.

Radek   Weekend Warrior [Jun 19, 2006]
    Strength:

Frame: lateral stiffness is amazing (most of full suspension bikes have perceptive flex, not this one) the geometry seems magical, rides like a hardtail on asphalt, very confident on trails. Good hubs, rolls like a roadie. The fork is way above anything generic, eats small stones easily (I went with the soft setting suggested in the manual and it gives motorcycle-like ride). Surprisingly good seat.
    Perfect bike for anyone stepping up from a generic, confident, safe ride with good looks. Makes an impression it is built to last.

The disks are uneven (not bent, more of a varying thickness) need fairly frequent adjustment. OTOH, even when it's possible to hear some rub in the workshop it's not perceptible on the trail. Still, these disks beat even the best rim brakes.

Amazing bike for the money. Looked at several options, for that money I could only get a hardail with this component set (Jamis Komodo) locally, decided to give Ibex a shot - no regrets! The shipping is surprisingly swift, the bike was at my door (in Canada) on day 5.

Similar Products Used: Costco Quantum FS, several generics.