Harvey Cycles Laurel Mountain XC Full Suspension

Harvey Cycles Laurel Mountain XC Full Suspension

It is a trail everyone raves about and this frame captures the essence of Laurel Mountain trail. There always seems to be downed trees to play on, rocky sections that will test skills, with rhythm sections to roll on, and, of course, downhill fun. The 5" travel, all mountain Laurel Mountain frame is designed to excel in all of these elements.

[Feb 08, 2012]
charlie225

Strength:

Just build up a Harvey Laurel Mountain frame with a Rockshox Ario RL.
Bought the frame at The Hub for $100.00 & so far so good!!!!

No so far!!!

BAD_ASS frame for the price!!!
I've hit tech and singletrack trails and no problems!!!

Giant, Marin, Yeti

[Oct 03, 2005]
Michael Murphy

Strength:

Excellent price/value equation. Fun and comfortable; great for all day epic rides.

Factory built Sun DS2-XC wheelset.

A lot of bang for the buck; at $1500, this Harvey model delivers a great ride without breaking the bank.
Very robust frameset is plush without being too heavy. Climbs well and is more nimble than I expected. Performance is comparable to peer bike at twice the cost.

The nice folks at Back Country Outfitters are a pleasure to work with. They quickly and courteously replaced a rear wheel that blew up with less than 100 miles on it. And how often can one deal directly with namesake of a bike? Looking for a great value? Look no futher than Harvey Bicycles.
Visit Backcountry Outdoors
18 Pisgah Hwy, Pisgah Forest, NC 28768
828-884-4262
sales@backcountryoutdoors.com
MM

Sanat Cruz Blur, Specialized FXR, Trek Fuel

[Jun 22, 2007]
Chris Eldridge

Strength:

Quality at a reasonable price. Solid frame with top-notch components and the best service.

None so far.

Great bike. I couldn't have done better without spending $3,000. Harvey does a great job standing behind his bikes. My buddy broke a bearing on the rear suspension last year while we were in Fruita Colorado for the Fat Tire Festival there. Harvey had the part overnighted to us. Who else does something like that?

K2

[Feb 21, 2006]
Jackson Amburn

Strength:

Frame strength, suspension setup, components, and value. You get what you pay for.

Paint job. Rims and hubs came loose. However, those are component issues not the bike itself.

Okay, Harvey has been bugging me for months about putting a review up here, but I needed a while to really test the bike and put it through its trials. It has passed with flying colors. Now, the bottom line: great bike for the money and you pay for what you get. The bike rides very well over bumps, ruts, and jumps extremely well and has very plush suspension. Trust me I have downhilled on it. It takes punishment. With 5 inches of rear travel, one would think that this bike is heavy, its not at all. Mine weighs in at around 28 lbs. The bike also climbs very well, and locking out the rear shock helps a lot!
Okay, now with the downfalls. The rims on the first day got loose, whatever, Harvey tightened them no problem. Second, rear hub became loose, simple tightening job did it well. Third, I broke one of the bolts for my rear shock. However, Harvey being the bike God that he is, sent me one in the mail for free. I was down for two days.
Handling, very good. It corners very well, however I noticed the bike is slightly top heavy and you have to make sure that you corner it correctly or the front tire may lose grip. Thats a user error issue though.
Trails: Wayhehutta- pure downhill with water bars, rock gardens and super fast berms. The laurel mountain stomps this trail. I'm clipped in the whole time on 20% grades and im confident this bike wont let me down, it hasnt yet. Tsali- great trail bike for tsali. Not much I can say. It handles technical stuff very well. Moses Creek- rocky and muddy. Great bike for it. Mud is mud, but the rocks, outrunning hardtails is a nice feeling and feeling your butt at the end is even better.
Okay, so it's a great bike and a great value, so who should really buy this bike? If you like pure climbing speed and xc racing, this isn't your bike. Get an epic, or an anthem. Now, someone who wants to dabble in a little bit of everything? Yes. All mountain? Yes. Some downhill? Yes. XC? You bet. If you are looking for a good value with awesome people backing their products go to brevard at backcountry. Ask for harvey.
One more thing, I will be racing this rig with some upgrades in the fall for the WCU bike team. Ill be doing DH and xc with the bike.

Specialized Hardrock, Giant NRS 1, and Specialized P-1

[Feb 20, 2006]
Meyrick Camilosa

Strength:

Excellent price, Bike is well balanced, light for a full suspension bike.

I've put on 50 miles of mountain riding with this baby in a week. The bike just plain awesome. It's very comfortable and tackles rocky obstacles with ease. My downhills are more faster now compared to my hardtail. I have more confident with faster cornering. For the price of what you get, you can't ask for a better deal. Also talking to Harvey was the best bike buying experience I've ever had.

Trey Y-22

[Jan 18, 2006]
Tom Ruark

Strength:

Bought as a complete bike. For the money, I think it's wonderfully rideable. Lot's of very plush suspension. My wife (it was purchased for her) simply refuses to ride her hard-tail anymore. The frame looks to be very nicely welded. The finish looks sharp (all black and no stickers!). I have ridden the bike at speed and can ride it as fast as my 21 pound hardtail pure xc bike. It grabs corners with gusto, and rolls over roots (major obstacle in FL) very easily, but without killing momentum. It's a great setup and Harvey is very cool to deal with (knowledgeable and a good communicator).

The manual for the rear shock answers very few questions. Not really a problem if you have half a brain and internet service. Actually, Harvey provided the info I needed!

It's pretty much like Harvey says, for the money it's a no-brainer. Nice components, great frame, great ride, damn fast, able to do reasonable drops without a hitch (it's not made for hucking off of houses and that's OK, because we ride our bikes up-hill too. You won't see us pushing a bike ever! Yes, we have hills in Florida).

Too many to list! Motobecane HT and DS with Manitou and SID forks etc.....

[Apr 14, 2007]
SM

Strength:

GREAT Value for a full-suspension bike; super strong yet light QUALITY frame; excellent ride; custom built to your specs.

None that I've found. I've hammered this thing over nearly every rock and log on numerous tough trails in 3 different states and it's held up better than my body.

You won't find a better value anywhere, period. Harvey is a great guy to deal with and he knows his components. I spent nearly a year looking at various full-suspension bikes by various manufacturers and stumbled upon Harvey's cycles while I was visiting my brother-in-law. I usually build-up my own bikes but when I saw what Harvey offered for the money, I knew there was no way I could beat it even if I put it together myself. The thing that sold me were the frames. These are GREAT frames for the money, folks. Solid, well-constructed frames, NKB series precision sealed bearings, etc. Go ahead and buy a MUCH more expensive frame from the usual mfgrs......I guarantee it won't be built any better. Also, Harvey stands behind what he sells.

Custom Built Hardtail w/XT components, etc.
Trek Hardtail - older frame upgraded w/XTR components, etc.

[Oct 13, 2006]
Ryan

Strength:

solid bike that i cannot yet outperform

maybe weight (but not for this price range)

i shopped around, did my research and for the price this is by far the best bang for your buck. Harvey is a joy to do business with too. i love the bike!

jamis dakar xlt
specialized fsr

[Jul 31, 2006]
Jason Parker

Strength:

The bike is lite and fast on the trails in Pisgah. The frame seems to be pretty strong. I like how simple the design is and the flat black finish.

I have enjoyed the bike thus far considering my style of riding. Harvey has always been very helpful and laid back in dealing with me as a customer.

Gary Fisher Sugar

[Feb 19, 2007]
Bill

Strength:

Comfort and stability of ride on rough terrain
Simplicity and ruggedness of frame design
Ease and range of adjustments of suspension
Reasonably light weight

Can't think of any

By far the nicest mountain bike I have ever ridden. Perfectly meets my XC/AM riding needs. If there are comparable bikes at this price out there, I don’t know about them. Probably the biggest advantage in buying a HarveyCycle is that Harvey will customize the component package to meet individual needs whatever your riding style – XC, AM, FR, DH or a combination. If you aren’t sure what you need then Harvey will advise.

Jamis Durango SX