Haro Sonix VL120S XC Full Suspension

Read the Pro Review on This Product Here>>

• USER REVIEWS

[Oct 28, 2008]
    gorounds30

Strength:

The bike is light, fast and can take some serious hits despite a previous posting. I'm the type to quickly replace something if I feel like there will be a noticable improvement, but I haven't replaced a thing (except for the chain rings..read below).

The chain rings were flimsy, but I had them replaced after a Moab trip rendered the middle and large rings useless. The front derailer started off perfect, but I've had some difficulty with it lately (probably from a few hits here and there). The bike does creak, but really, who cares.

This bike is great for the aggressive XC singletrack rider. Climbs like a goat. Can take some hard hits on the front end sparing you the dreaded over the handlebars action. This bike is light, 27lbs, lighter than most other full suspensions I've seen (especially for the price range).

Trek Hardtail, Airborne Hardtail

[Nov 28, 2006]
    Brian

Strength:

Smooth and fast from the get go. Great XC bike that makes up for all my mistakes. For the price, you can't find a better bike.

Proximity of big chain ring to the chainstay. The underskilled rider sitting on it.

I wrote a review after a demo in the McDowell Mtns, it is in the VL120 Werx the 120S wasn't up yet. Well I bought the bike and love it. The R7 fork is great, it has saved me more than once from landing in a cactus. Climbs like a champ. I don't worry about the bike squating and taking power away when I stand up to sprint to a finish. The only problem I had was a jockey wheel on the derailer that locked up. Quickly replaced by my shop with no problem. The other issue is the big chain ring is really close to the chainstay. I managed to sling a rock into a tooth and bent it just enough to scratch a gouge in to the stay. I haven't spoke to Haro about it but if their previous service with my V3 is any indication, I don't think it will be a problem getting it fixed.

I set the suspension the first day and haven't touched it since. The shock has a lockout that you never need. Climbing, just climb. Sprinting to the finish, giddy up. Descend, point and go. Great component group. The front derailer took a little tuning to get just right to go to the small ring, but now it is perfect.

This bike is not for beating up and not maintaining. It is designed to be and is a XC bike. Like any race machine you need to take care of it. A little chain lube, keep the brakes and derailer clean, and your good. I abused my old bike. It put up with it because it was designed to. It was also big and heavy. Don't expect flawless performance when you don't take the time to maintain it.

I bought this bike one because of how it rides, and probably more importantly two. Haro is excellent in responding to their owners. Combined with a good shop you can't beat their customer service.

The race season begins Jan 28th here in the valley of the sun. I've raced a few pre-season rides, and had it not been for some bad luck, I would be doing quite well. Excellent XC bike that can be raced right from the get go without spending a fortune. Now I have no more lame excuses like riding a hardtail when races don't go my way. Podium, here I come. (Probably just jinxed my whole season.)

Specialized Epic

[Feb 26, 2007]
    Darrin Stein

Strength:

The frame is flawless and the VPL works just as described. I can visually see it bob just a bit when in the saddle, but I really can't feel it. Out of the saddle it's like a hardtail. The rear shock lock out is quick and easy to find when/if needed. This is my 3rd Haro since starting to ride Mt. Bikes back in the early 90's and they fit me perfectly.

None that I can find.

Great product.

KHS xc904r

[Oct 14, 2006]
    David Wilson

Strength:

It climbs like a billy goat. It's light and quick in the corners and it soaks up bumps like its going out of style. You cant beat the bikes geometery if you are 5'8" with a 30" inseam.

Juicey 5 brakes occasionally drag. Deore front derailer needs constant adjusting. Other than that I can think of nothing.

This is the first full suspension bike I have owned and I don't think that I could have gotten a better bike for my size and riding style. It's not a bike that everyone knows until you pass them on the trail. This bike is worth every penny I spent. I would give the Overall Rating 5 Chilis if it wasn't for the brakes and derailer.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/XC_Hardtail/product_124953.shtml, http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/XC_Hardtail/product_125018.shtml, and http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/XC_Hardtail/product_123343.shtml

[Feb 20, 2007]
    Kathy

Strength:

- Climbing stability: I was a little ambivalent about the geometry with the linkage in front of the pedals, but it works as advertised and stays steady on a climb, in or out of the saddle.
    - Suspension: I didn't know much about the R7 fork and wondered if its light weight would take away from its ability to absorb bumps. Not at all - and I'm riding over things I didn't before with confidence.
    - Weight - At just around 27 lbs., it's right up there with some of the lightest bikes, but it feels solid and has taken a fair amount of abuse without a problem.

Component level - while I got a smoking deal on this bike, I feel that for a $2600 SRP, they should put XT components all around. The front derailleur was problematic at first dropping onto the small chainring, but after adjustment, it's working fine for now.
    I also had some trouble with the front end lifting up at first because the geometry has the front end sitting up higher than I was used to. I've learned to counteract it and it's not a problem now.

I'm very happy with this bike. Until I saw it in my local Copeland Sports, I was unaware that Haro made mountain bikes - in fact, since I don't know BMX, the name wasn't familiar to me at all. I did some quick reading and saw it had gotten good reviews in the mountain bike mags. It was such a great deal (turns out the store was closing), I figured I couldn't lose. It's an 18" frame which normally would be too large for me (I'm 5'7"), but after adjusting the stem and bars, it fits perfectly. I've ridden it consistently since I bought it and love it!

This is a great bike for cross country riders who want a light bike for climbing, yet a robust full suspension setup that can take technical downhill abuse.

Gary Fisher Suger 3+ full suspension; demo'd Specialized FSR, Yeti 575, and Ellsworth Truth.