GT Sensor XC Full Suspension

A Lot of us shave our legs. A lot of us don't. Just because you've exchanged your spandex for baggies doesn't mean you don't want a bike that climbs like your hardtail; just because you don't armor up doesn't mean you don't like to decend like a madman. The ultimate trail-bike, the Sensor takes agility, responsiveness, and effciency of a cross-country race bike, and adds more travel and a slacker geometry for inspired descents and more predictable line choices. Are we claiming a little bit by calling it the ultimate trail bike? Maybe. But then again, Mick did win Sea Otter's Dual Slalom on it.

• Frame: Hydroformed, 6061-T6 aluminum, 120mm travel
  • Fork: Fox Racing Shox 32 F RL Fit, 120mm travel
  • Crank: SRAM S1400
  • Rear Shock: Fox Racing Shox Float RP23 BV, 120mm travel
  • Brake: Formula RX Disc w/ 180mm rotor

James Haag   [Aug 05, 2013]
Strength:

I've forgotten how low on the totem pole the components are on this bike. The climbing is very fast, and the downhills are smooth. The tires are great, the brakes are solid, and the shifting is still smooth after two years of owning this bike.

I would pin two weaknesses on this bike.
1. The tires are 26" and I'm on track to join the 29er crowd in a couple of days.
2. The rear suspension does not have a lock-out, to me the rear lock is much more useful than the front when climbing.

Even considering the weaknesses, I have became a better rider with this entry level bike. If you are just getting into the world of mountain biking and want a full suspension, I recommend this setup. I have used this bike as a gateway to the world of higher end bikes, and I've enjoyed the two years I spent on this bike learning how to ride.
FYI: This review is for the 2011 model of the Sensor 4.0.

Daniel Dix   [Jun 24, 2013]
Strength:

The frame feels very stiff over flat terrain and uphill, yet the cushy suspension kicks in at the right places on downhills. The front and rear suspension seem great to me for entry level. The brakes also seem very solid

Drivetrain components are weak. I wore teeth off of the crank in about 100 miles. I replaced the pedals and tires immediately. It is a bit heavy.

Great all around FS XC bike! It can handle moderately heavy downhills and climbs nearly as well as my hardtail. The value is awesome and it is a really fun ride. I basically kill mine on a weekly basis and it is still in great shape. I bought mine brand new on clearance for $900! Expect to upgrade some parts over time.

Vespasianus   All Mountain Rider [Dec 25, 2012]
Strength:

The suspension system. Plush everywhere with great pedaling manners

Little to XC.

Demoed this bike for a weekend and came away very impressed. The suspension system felt bottomless and was plush in every condition. Even with the plush suspension, the bike pedaled great. Without question, the ID system is one of the best systems out there. The bike was a little too steep for me and felt a little fragile but overall, this is a great bike.

Similar Products Used: Specialized FSR, Titus Motolite, Santa Cruz Blur, Turner 5-Spot, Pivot Mach 5.
MaDeuceUSMC   [Oct 25, 2012]
Strength:

i-drive, brakes, looks (mine is orange), tires.

Rear shock, entry-level components, heavy.

Did a lot of research on this bike. Purchased knowing I'd have to upgrade components over time. However, I love the i-drive geometry, especially now that I am running a Rock Shox Monarch Plus RL shock. Almost no loss of power when standing up or pedaling uphill, even with no lockout. Also upgraded to SRAM XO drivetrain, rockshox reverb dropper seatpost, and switched out everything that was All-Terra (wheels, seatpost, stem, bar). Never heard of this brand, but it must be a GT-specific off-shoot. I do like the stock shimano hydraulics on this. They were noisy and stiff at first, but after a few hours of break in, they are really smooth and responsive. With good components and suspension, bike is lighter and serves as a pretty good all-mountain rig.

PeterCherry   [Oct 01, 2012]
Strength:

Sexy bike :P

X-Fusion shock i shoved it up megans arse and put an RP2 on

GT sensor 2012

The bike is amazing!!! had it for a couple of months now nearly jiz**d when i first saw the bike it looks like it came from heaven...

X-fusion shock updated for an RP2 for free got rid of that peice of sh** and shoved it up Megan Collins ar**

Emily Batty SMD

Megan Collins wants my di** hard

Sidiro   Cross Country Rider [Aug 16, 2012]
Strength:

Looks good, priced right when on sale, components are entry level but seem to do the job. Upgradeable and will only get better.

Heavy (my XL frame is about 34.5lbs), wheels needed truing from day one. Grips look awful but do the job.

This is my first FS bike coming from a hardtail, I researched the crap out of this bike. My determining factors were price (I got it for $1300 ($999 plus tax/shipping) shipped to my door in Canada), technology like iDrive, and an overall nice looking bike.

First impression is... This thing rides as smooth as a Bentley compared to my hardtail. It's much heavier but everything works in sync. I had to adjust the front derraileur and some linkage to suit me better but I think I'm going to be happy with this bike.

The rear shock lockout is good, and keep very things tight for my many road commutes.
Overall a nice bike for under $1500, if you want a better bike you're probably looking in the $2200 and up MSRP range.

Good bike, no regrets. Will upgrade as things start to wear down. I'm happy.

Similar Products Used: XC Hardtails, road bikes
Darren   Weekend Warrior [Aug 04, 2012]
Strength:

Everything, I find the independent drivetrain (I-drive) absolutely exhilarating, the front suspension and rear shocks perform outstanding, it's such a smooth and comfortable ride, I have come off this a few times due to no fault of the bike, but it still rides perfectly and looks and feels in great shape. Just a few minor scratches The brakes are awesome too... Top notch.
I normally ride a hardtail which is slightly better at getting full power into climbs, but this is just as good, with the I-drive you can push into a climb without the bounce.

I really cannot find any.

I was very reluctant to purchase this bike at first, due to a very poor review from a well known MTB website, However I did take the plunge as i got the bike on offer and have never looked back, Don't believe the negative reviews this bike is up there with best.

Mike E.   [May 29, 2012]
Strength:

Good drive train and suspension. Good brakes. Love the seat.

Grips wear quickly, rear rim bent after a few months of riding.

I got a great deal on this bike at Performance by complete luck. It was the "deal of the day" for $899. Can't beat that deal!

shawnsterthemonster   Weekend Warrior [Feb 05, 2012]
Strength:

Solid on the climbs, descents, and everything in between. Great handling. Sick suspension design. The i-Drive is ingenious.

None so far. I wouldn't say I'm an extreme mtb connoisseur, but I've been riding for several years, and this bike will not disappoint.

This bike is an incredible bike. I have been nothing but satisfied with it's performance. It's an amazing climber, with solid a great suspension setup. Easy to handle, excellent control, awesome on the downhills, etc. All around great bike for a variety of riding. Obviously, you'll pay more if you want the more high-end components, but this bike's stock setup is solid for the average rider. GT is coming back, people!

Sdgreen   Weekend Warrior [Jan 20, 2012]
Strength:

iDrive suspension, value, comfortable ride, crazy orange color

none noted although I am not to keen on the grips

iDrive works as advertised. a little squish while standing but that's about it. If i pedal on on pavement and lockout the rear shock it feels like my tire is underinflated. no creaking in the suspension.

component set works well for this entry level full suspension bike.

brakes are smooth and quiet

Climbs and descends very well.

I would buy this buy again and do not hesitate to recommend it as an entry level full suspension bike. The value is hard to beat.

Similar Products Used: (None) First full suspension bike.