GT Marathon Pro XC Full Suspension

GT Marathon Pro XC Full Suspension

GT ID4 full suspension frame with monocoque carbon fiber front and rear triangles, 4” travel

[Jul 07, 2010]
costa

Strength:

lightness, love the seat, suspension fits bike perfect, geometry, fast and the fox rl remote comes in handy alot.

nothin

the bike is a great, it will survive anything you ride

[Jan 25, 2009]
JMB1

Strength:

Nicely equipped, shifts and brakes like a dream. Climbs nicely, Handles nice,

grips are way too hard and thin...I'm used to OURY grips...no gear indicator on the shifters...seat way to hard and uncomfortable. A little lite in the front end...but easily fixed with rider positioning.

As an ex-cross country racer in the expert class, I think this bike is awesome. I thought the 2002 I-Drive I had was nice and this thing blows it away. I just took it out on a two hour ride and could not believe how the improvements and the technology make this bike so much better. I will probably cover the downtube with thick clear contact paper to avoid rock damage. Climbs and descends well, wheeliest very easily when needed.

2002 GT I-drive 1.0.

[Sep 01, 2008]
wasso67

Strength:

Nice spec, very good at downhill, climbs very well, and a great value. Handles well once set up is tuned.

Noisy frame with all the popping. Difficult to get dialed in. Like any carbon frame, rocks don't do it any favors. Seatpost can slip if not tightened properly.

This 4 inch bike is the bomb. Can be an awesome XC bike, but can also do double duty as a trail bike. Nice combo. With the RP23 all is possible along the spectrum. Great downhiller, makes up for oh so many mistakes. For some reason I have trouble keeping the front end down on steeps, but that is probably rider error. Setup is key. First of all, do not run low tire pressures! This jacks everything up. I went tubeless and dropped psi to 30 rear and 25 front and couldn't dial it in. Finally went up to about 38 on the rear and 32 on the front-much better. MBA said to set the Fox RP at rider weight and run half that in the front. I am 162lbs., run the RP at 175 and the front at 75 and this baby is tuned.

Mooto-X 29er hardtail.

[Jun 23, 2008]
kootenayskier

Strength:

Easy climbing seated or standing. Fun and flick-able on the way down.

A bit of creaking

I regularly ride a Nomad, but recently had the opportunity to demo a few different XC bikes (see above). The Marathon climbed as well seated and much better standing than the others, but was in a league of it's own on the way down, not plush but confidence inspiring, feeling more like a 4X bike than a XC bike. The Shimano discs made for one finger braking, the Nevegals dug in, and the Odi lock-on grips are a small but important detail on a bike I could easily add to my quiver. (note: I don't know how much it costs, so my value rating doesn't mean much).

Trek EX-9, Gary Fischer Hi Fi.