GT i-Drive 4 5.0 XC Full Suspension

• Bottom Bracket: Truvativ sealed cartridge Power Spline
  • Shifters: SRAM X7
  • Spokes: Stainless steel 14 gauge

ydelacosta   Racer [Jun 26, 2011]
Strength:

Solid frame

Overall weight. After replaceing just about everything i have it down to 22lbs.

As others stated, great full suspension bike ready for myriad of upgrades. It does have that "creak" since as far back as i can recall, but with an iPod, it never becomes an issue.

Similar Products Used: Specialized rockhopper
josephcuiba   Racer [Aug 30, 2010]
Strength:

Brakes. Handle Bars. Saddle. Frame Design.

Stupid God Damn Wish Bone Piece. Ive fabricated a piece out of......what is it like....1/8 steel. but i keep breaking the bolts. Its annoying. Oh yeah tiny pedals. Too thin rims too. yea i really cant complain too much, you get what you pay.

Tis a good bike, but the design flaw of the weak wishbone kills. you get what you poay for. i really wish i had the funds for a decent road bike. I mean i really enjoy riding this bike. i dont hate it at all.

Similar Products Used: na
keithski   Cross Country Rider [Jun 18, 2010]
Strength:

The i drive is excellent, this bike steers and holds the bumps just great.

Non for me.

This bike was a 4.0 but I love it so much that I have upgraded all of the componentry, it is now simply awesome. I fell in love with i drive with my last bike which was an i drive 5 2.0 which I also upspeced and someone made me an offer that was too good to be true so I sold it. The i drive to me is the best handling sus frame that I have used, yes GT have now made the Force, but this bike is now so good I dont have any need to change it, unless someone else makes me an awesome offer !!!.

Similar Products Used: Mongoose Teolcali Elite, specialized, Giant.
billtimmy@yahoo.com   Weekend Warrior [May 16, 2009]
Strength:

Price. I-drive full suspension flattens the trail and climbs like a hardtail. The rear shock is a basic Fox Float with no adjustments other than air pressure but that's okay because the I-drive system doesn't require a pro-pedal or lock out.

It's a little heavy, mine is an XL that weighs in at 33 lb. But I paid a cheap hardtail price for a good full suspension bike!

This is a great ride for low bucks. I will probably upgrade to a Force 1.0 in a few years. I am definitely sold on GT and the I-drive system!

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rockhopper
jaredhhhh   Weekend Warrior [May 11, 2009]
Strength:

light weight good for climbing well balanced great for those just getting in to mtbing not too expensive feels very sturdy i-drive is great technology

umm the cables wear the the paint alot but not a whole lot

great starter bike looks good

Similar Products Used: santa cruz nomad
orion1   Downhiller [Mar 17, 2009]
Strength:

cheap, light weight, great starter bike

back wheel kicks up when hit drop and jumps not stable in the air at all bike is made to stay on the ground. and rims are very unstable after awhile

its a great bike for a beginner mountain biker but i would not suggest it if you are a aggressive rider who like to push it downhill. but for me i am so surprised how well it stood up to my abuse i could take this off six foot drops to a flat landing and it would be fine all you would have to do is be a smooth rider and land on the back wheel.

Similar Products Used: giant trance 1 and 2
Patrick   Cross Country Rider [Jul 25, 2007]
Strength:

Pedals like a champ - I was amazed at how much faster I could pedal up the rough stuff. It has a very low center of gravity which really helps it track down the twists and gives it lots of stability on the rocks. After tweaking the shifters they work very well.

Weight & Components - I already ditched the fork and will slowly replace the other components over time as need. Brake rotor came bent, but straightened easily. No good place for a water bottle... but I have a camelback.

This is a lot of bike for the price. It pedals like a hardtail, but is smooth.

Similar Products Used: Previous bike - Trek Y frame.
Christopher   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2007]
Strength:

The bike has a strong frame and is a great price for a full suspension XC bike.

You do get what you pay for. The tires and front fork were the first to go on mine. The stock fork weighed 5.9 pounds and was as basic as you can get.

All in all I would recommend this bike to anyone who is looking to get into full-suspension cross country riding. The price is great and there is a lot of room for upgrades across the board. A new fork and new set of wheels does wonders for this rig.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale F400 and F600
KTB   Cross Country Rider [May 22, 2007]
Strength:

SOLID, SOLID RIG! This is my first XC full suspension and although I have only had it for a few months - it's living up to most of my expectations. Smooth as silk along roots and rocks and jumps right over logs - heavy but fun to bunny hop with!

Heavy! At 31 lbs. it's not as light as I would like for it to be, but it's a frame to upgrade. The basic Manitou Trance fork weighs 6 lbs on its own. Have already upgraded the SPD pedals to a lighter version and will upgrade the fork and wheel set when the cash comes in.

I am 5'6" and female. Bought a medium frame which felt a little big at first, but once I got on the trails was happy I got this size. I ride more BMX style on the trails (stay low on jumps and fast, love tight turns)and amazingly I can control this bike like I want to.
For the price, this is exactly what I wanted. It shifts great, sucks up the little jumps I manage to pull off and allows me to bomb down hills and roll over logs with ease.
Buy it if you need/want to upgrade from hardtail, but don't have major cash for the next price tier. Don't buy it if you want a light, XC race ready rig of course. All in all, good value for the money.

Similar Products Used: None really...knew what I wanted from the start...can't beat the i-drive technology and history of the brand name.
Scott Curtis   Weekend Warrior [Nov 04, 2006]
Strength:

It has just about everything I wanted for under $1,000. The brakes, drivetrain, fork and shifters are a major upgrade from what I was accustomed to.

The pedals. They're kind of cheap. They are wide on one side and narrow on the other, so I'm always having to spin them around while riding. I will probably replace them with Candy C's (which are on the I-drive Four-3.0) or something similar. It is a little tall. I am 6ft and have a medium frame bike, so I am able to stand over it, but a frame design closer to the I-drive Four-1.0 would improve this. There is only one attachment point for a bottle cage, and this is on the bottom of the downtube, so the cage is more exposed and the bottle gets dirty. This is not a problem if I just use a hydration pack, but there are times when I also want an energy drink, too.

This is my first full suspension bike, an upgrade from a hardtail that got too beat up on the trail. The I-drive system works as advertised. It pedals great and climbs better than I do. I have more confidence on descents, especially on rocky sections. The cockpit feels good to me, and I have a good view of the trail without straining my neck. It feels nicely balanced and is comfortable to ride. The mechanical disc brakes work fine, with good control and modulation and have gotten me out of trouble in situations where I would have had to "involuntarily dismount" on my old bike.

This is a cross-country/trail bike and is intended to be ridden as such, i.e keep the tires on the trail and not go flying through space. It is probaly not as suited for racing as it is not a super-lightweight racing frame, but it feels solid and durable, and actually weighs about the same as my hardtail.

I am very happy with this bike and I don't regret buying it.
(Although Performance lowered the price $200 AFTER I bought this.)

Similar Products Used: I tested a Giant Trance 3, Iron Horse Warrior SE, Cannondale Rush. I really liked the Trance, but it was too much $$$. I also considered a couple of Kona products, but I didn't get the opportunity to test ride them.