GT I-Drive 3.0 XC Full Suspension

GT I-Drive 3.0 XC Full Suspension

[Mar 30, 2007]
alex kostecki

Strength:

This Bike is pretty cheap and simple. I think it resists alot to what you throw at it. I downhill and freeride and since i didnt have much money, i bought this one and it worked fine for me. Been going off 6 ft drops. The climb is fine, and although it wasnt made for it, the decend isn't that bad. The rims that come with is are pretty good, the I-drive system works pretty well keeping the chain taught and the seat an tires are pretty good.

This bike does tend to break a bit and i wouldnt say the suspension is amazing. I had to replace my cranks after the first month, and the bike ended up in my workshop every month, and in the shops workshop about 7 times in 2 years. That said, maybe thats because i was using it for other then what it was meant...

This bike is pretty versatile, and even though you might not necessarily feel comfortable doing it, it will take alot of what you throw at it.
Things i replaced are:
-The pedals (terrible)with the Tioga freeride pedals
-The tires (the Tioga Extreme XC tires are fine but wear out quick) with Kenda Kinetics
-The saddle (the seat that comes with it is good though) with a DMR tenth anniversary saddle.
-The grips (they're good but i wanted to change a bit)
-The rear derraileur (about 5 times!)
-And the rear rim.

The bike is good for some soft all mountain riding, and i would change the brakes as v-brakes aren't the best.
Oh and DONT BUY THIS BIKE FOR FR/DH... you'll be unhappy...

[Sep 27, 2006]
John Craig

Strength:

Strong frame, climbs very well, front wheel does not wander. For my purposes, the amount of shock and fork travel are perfect. Rides lighter than it feels. Great saddle.

The original V-brakes were a bit weak for my liking, also the front derailier was out of it's league,(Alivio) Yuck!

I have since changed the V-brakes to Tektro discs, of course the rims and hubs were also changed, WTB. New bars, seat post, pedals, shifters,XTR ft dr, Deore rr dr and levers complete the upgrades. I have raced this bike three times to three top ten finishes in my age group, 50+. I rode down shutes so tight,steep and fast, on a rim brake bike, I would have gone over the bars too many times to count. It handled all the East County of SD could dish. I am very happy with this bike as I have it set-up. If you find one, grab it. They are well worth the money. Plus being upgradable, you can build your superbike. Those of you who are considering a XC full-supension bike, look for this as a great first full-supension.

KHS Alite 1000, GF HOKORIKO II,

[Apr 07, 2004]
Michael

Strength:

Light weight, good looks, the stock equipment works very well.

None yet.

High performance all purpose, High speed low drag....This bike rules! It looks good on the trails as well in the back of my Dakota (same color scheme...matched lugage for the truck I guess). This bike works very well. The 100mm forks are about medium on the hard/soft scale. The rear Fox shock is also good to go, not a whole lot of travel but this is a moutain bike not a Suzuki RM250. The frame and forks will support a disc brake set up should you want to go that way in the future, I will soon. If you are looking for a good lower cost full suspension bike with awesome qualities, this is the one for you. I am glad I bought this bike!! I'm giving it 5 flamin' bowel twistin' chilis! SEMPER FI AND OOOHRAH!

[Sep 02, 2006]
Elliott
Downhiller

Strength:

Great frame, Decent components for the $$. Super fun Bike

Mine has rim brakes.

This bike is awsome for anyone getting into our sport. My skills have gotten much better just from riding this machine, and it cost the same as most hardtails. Components will need to be swaped as required, but that's the beauty of getting a great cheap bike. The iDrive system works great, this bike climbs as well as any hardtail I've ridden. Even though there is only 3-4" of travel it does a really good job of soaking up the trail. I can seriously say that I've done alomst all types of riding there is in my area on this bike: XC, DH, FR, skate park, some decent drops and DJ's. This thing is a beast. Now that I've had it for a while I'm gonna upgrade to a higher travel bike and also get something for park, but I will definately keep this one in my stable. Highly recommended if you can get it at a good price.

hardtail Fishers and Specialized.

[Feb 05, 2008]
Corbett

Strength:

This bike has taken everything I can dish out. Great welding and strength. It feels like a tank compared to my friends "carbon this and that" bikes, but it has held up through it all, mud, rain, drops, speed, etc. This was my first FS and it was way out of my league when I purchased it but it has made me a better rider. I upgraded as necessary-mavic rims, sram x-9 shifters and rear derailure, wtb seat, race face bottom bracket and crank, shimano clipless pedals, it needs new shocks because being 200+ pounds I have worn them out.

Heavy bike overall compared to what else is out there.

Great starter FS. Will whip you into shape.

[Jan 02, 2006]
CJ Grijalva

Strength:

Beafy Frame, great for beginners, good price for design and components, I-drive system, handling.

Not enough suspension adjustment. Only 3.5 inches of travel! Then again, it is only $750. Made me get into freeriding(if thats a weakness).

I guess I could be called a bike abuser. I know that this is a trail bike, but I use this bike for jumps, drops, skate parks, and mild downhill. I am only 135 lbs so I guess it isn't harming the bike. The fork is good for jumping because it is stiff, but the shock(fox vanilla coil) is too soft and bottoms out on one foot drops when tuned using the included 'perfect preload gauge'. I solved this problem by tightening the spring, which brought a slight 'bounce'(darn, no rebound control). But I don't care, I still love to ride. Other than the rear shock, the bike holds up great to my bashing-I dropped 5 feet onto a soft transition, bottomed everything, then kept riding(don't ever try that on this bike, even if you are as light as I am). I decided that my next bike will be a Demo 9.

At the top of the page it says this bike has 100mm(4") of fork travel and 4.5 inches of rear travel. For some reason, mine has only 3.5 inches front and back(I measured)! It might be because I got size small frame, but I'm still disapointed at this rip off. I might get a new shock, but I'm afraid it will mess up the I-drive mechanism.

When riding trails with my friends, I usual fly past everyone, stop and let them pass me, then repeat. I love flying past them on the downhills, jumping a good 20 feet, then popping a good hundred foot wheelie on the way to the truck. None of this I could have done on my old bikes(walmart cheapies).

If you want an inexpensive or entry level trailbike that can take a mild beating, this bike is great for the money.

mongoose something(returned it the next day).

[May 14, 2005]
Steve

Strength:

I have made sevaral up grades but for the initial bike set up its about the strongest for the money, under a grand. It is vert agile, strong easy to operate, and when tunned rides better than my yeti arc that has all xtr componenants.

Seat post has to be cut, so it wouldnt bottom out.

I would highly recommend to a first timer in the sport that wants to spend a lil amount of money.

GT i-drive 2.0

[Mar 27, 2005]
Fil A

Strength:

Good shocks, solid frame.

Brakes aren't the best, front deraileur.

I love this bike. I've had it about 2 months, and I've ridden it on average every second day (if not more). The stock suspension is surprisingly good. The rear shock especially seems to be quite firm which I like, but others have thought maybe a softer spring is in order. I weigh about 160lbs though, so take it with a grain of salt. Saddle is good. The shimano alivio front deraileur isnt the best. I have had some trouble shifting here.

This is my first "real" (ie not from k-mart) bike, so I might be a bit inexperienced riding real trails. However I've been on some pretty hairy trails with this when riding with more experienced friends, and its been great. Everyone who's ridden it has liked it too.

Excellent value for money. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking to get into mountain biking but doesnt have too much scratch to throw at it.

Giant VT2

[Mar 23, 2005]
Shoddy

Strength:

Versatile....jumps, downhill, climbing....it does it all. This suspension works great, the rims(Syncros) and the front shocks(MZ Comp) are holding up as well. I'm 6'5", 230 lbs and so far, this XL frame has helld up well.

Front De-Railer(low end Shimano) and the front hub(ball-bearing)generic maybe.

It's a great bike for little money. I ride with guys on Marins, Ellworths and Klein and the GT hangs. The only problem I ever had on the trail was the front de-railer. It's my first bike and I won't be trading it in, but I may upgrade the components from time to time. Best bike for the buck IMHO.

[Dec 01, 2004]
Quentin

Strength:

It'is pretty light, the suspension work pretty well, they can take nice drops and gaps. I have jumped 6 stairs with it and the landing was really smooth.

no disc brakes, alivio set up isn't great but they are working pretty well at the moment.There is no lock on the suspensions.

This bike is really nice, the suspensions are workin pretty well and you can do nice gaps with it they will take it. it is also light, it is good climber and downhiller. if you are just starting like me by this bike, of course the suspensions don' have a lot of travel but they work just fine for a beginner. don't be affraid to do drops with it the bike is gonna take them (not to hight do, it is not a downhill bike). The suspensions don't need to much care just wash the bike after using it so that there won't be any mud stuck in it.
Its a great bike, if you are a beginner just take it!!!!!