Giant Yukon FX XC Full Suspension

Make the most of your off-road excursions with this smooth-riding trail machine. With a lightweight yet durable ALUXX aluminum frame, 4 inches of rear suspension travel and a plush suspension fork, Yukon FX can take whatever the terrain dishes out.

• SR Suntour XCM V3, 100mm suspension fork, Giant Air rear shock
  • SRAM X.7/X.4 shifting
  • Hayes MX-4 disc brakes
  • Giant S-XC2 alloy rim/Formula disc hubs, wheelset
  • Color: Black/Blue

Alex   [Jul 23, 2014]
Strength:

I picked this bike up second-hand for a great deal. The reviews all over the web for this bike were positive so I went in with an open mind. I love the unique shape of the frame that allows the front wheel of the bike to really stay on the ground during intense climbing. Also, the stock Dart 2 works really well and the lock-out was fully functioning until the day I got rid of the bike.

The MX4 brakes just don't get the job done. I had them very well adjusted yet they still wouldn't even lock up the tires. My new bike has the BB7s and it is night and day difference. Also, the stock Nevegals don't like sand and are very slow-rolling in my experience. The bike is slightly heavier, but for such a great value there has to be some compromise.

This is a tremendous all-around full-suspension rig if you're on a budget. I see it as an excellent first full suspension bike and you could ride it for a number of years. Definitely a good candidate for initial upgrades, then once you need to upgrade frame just swap over those components. Your first alternation should be the brakes and tires. Otherwise you could ride the bike as is for a very long time.

SuperSlow35th   [Feb 03, 2014]
Strength:

Uses the same geometry as the higher end bikes so the fit and finish is spot on. Has a slew of name brand mid range components. Bike is very forgiving which is great for a beginning rider. Even though its labelled an XC bike, it has put up with every ounce of abuse i've put it though.

A little on the heavy side, my large framed 2010 weighed in at just a hair over 33 lbs. Rear derailluer skipped shifts and fell out of gear alot after the initial purchase. A trip to the LBS for an adjustment seems to have cured it. Front fork leaves a little to be desired, but still excellent for an entry level bike.

All in all, its been and continues to be an excellent bike. I have since replaced the wheelset/tires with Pure XCR wheels from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse and a set of Geax Saguaro tires. This dropped just shy of 3 lbs off the total weight and with it all being rotating mass it feels like a totally different machine. The front fork will most likely get replaced with a 100mm air unit.

halld15   Racer [Oct 10, 2013]
Strength:

smooth ride, little pedal bob unless you're cranking it out of the saddle, air sprung rear shock

derailleurs, chain drops into space between frame and cranks, heavy (medium is 33 pounds), not a very adjustable fork, mechanical disc brakes instead of hydrolic

Overall, a decent bike, but you get what you pay for. The rear derailleur had to be replaced on my bike after bunny hopping it in a parking lot, not even on the trail, and the front fork does'nt go through its travel as smoothly as a lot of other forks. It is also rather heavy, but it gives you a good ride and with any strength will get you where you need to be easy enough. Overall it is a decent bike but it could be upgraded to decent affect. I race mine and do just fine, but it could def be better with a different fork and some hydraulic disc brakes.

mmontini6289   All Mountain Rider [Jun 12, 2013]
Strength:

Price/ Value
Comfort
Handling

Forks
Weight

In June of 2012, I began looking for a full suspension all mtn MTB to replace my hardtail, and went to my LBS. I wanted something nice, but was on a limited budget. The salesperson said that the Yukon FX was the first nice full suspension bike they had seen for the price. I took it for a test ride and was in love with it. I also tried some other more expensive bikes, and yes, they had nicer components and hydraulic brakes, but I simply couldn't justify spending the extra 1, 2, or in some cases 3k. I purchased the Yukon and have ridden it almost exclusively on local single track and downhills. It has handled everything I've thrown at it with ease. No breakages, no adjustments and no hastles.
Granted, it is a $1000 full suspension bike, so something had to give. The front fork leaves a little to be desired, but the mechanical disc brakes are good, and the driveline is pretty solid. It is on the heavy side, but honestly, it doesn't show it's weight on the trail; it handles downhill and singletrack very well, and uphill climbing characteristics are good. The tires grip well in the New England conditions that I have been riding in, both wet and dry. Overall, a highly recommended bike for anyone looking for a nice full suspension bike on a budget.

Similar Products Used: Giant Rincon SE
george   [Sep 18, 2012]
Strength:

Excelent downhil behaviour for the money.

Seat, pedals, tires

Since i like recreational downhill, this does the job. It's a cheap full suspension alternative, but the handling on downhill is not bad at all. Runs smootly on thight and rocky sites.

TrailBlazinKC   [Jul 31, 2012]
Strength:

Giant rear air shock, SRAM X7 front derailleur, frame.

Suntour front fork, pedals, seat.

Bought the 2011 Yukon FX brand new from LBS in March '11. Thrown everything offroad trail-wise at it in the Kansas City metro area (Landahl, Swope park, Shawnee Mission park). This bike has taking everything I have thrown at it in stride. I beat it up a couple times a week and it still performs great. The one thing I didn't like was the front fork. No adjustments except for a pre-load dial. I have upgraded the seat, pedals, tires, and added a bash guard. Plan on upgrading the fork when I get some extra cash. Any mountain biking noob who is starting to get serious about the sport should definitely check out this bike as a starter bike. Great price for a full-suspension bike and upgradable.

citiznkain   [Jun 11, 2012]
Strength:

- gear ratio
- front lock out. I actually enjoy locking out the front fork for going up the trail.
- push-push shifters are easy to use and work great
- the air shock is quite nice if you set it so a zero camber. you don't get to much sag when going up trails

- cable disc brakes feel off a little, but i'm comparing this to cantilever brakes.
- i don't like the plastic tabs used to mount the cables to the frame.

I switched over from a Trek 3700 Hard tail that had a different gearing ratio. switching to this bike was an upgrade for me. of course I pretty much went from one entry level bike to another. but it's a great bike.

rockymtbiker   [Jun 11, 2012]
Strength:

hard to beat $900 for a dual suspension ride these days.

The derailleur is a bit weak. The seat and seat post are a joke. The seat was comfy, but flimsy. The seat post is not adjustable OTHER than height. You'll need a new seatpost.

Other than being a bit heavy & having a few weak components, I like it & that is all that matters. It is a nice ride on some of the best and hardest mt bike trails here in Michigan

huffster   Cross Country Rider [May 21, 2012]
Strength:

This bike has taken pretty much everything XC/AM I can throw at it. The frame, rear suspension, brake components, wheelset and most of the drivetrain have been trouble free except for normal wear and tear.

The bike is on the heavy side. The stock front coil shock did not hold up and I recently replaced that. The seat only has a single bolt clamp and that has become problematic not staying tight, so that had to be replaced. The stock Kenda Small Block tires were really bad in anything wet/muddy, but probably fine for dry/hard-pack conditions and or road riding. They had to go too.

This is a XC bike by design. Its not a downhill bomber. Depending on your definition of All-Mountain, I think it fits that bill. I've gone through things like brake pads, tires, rear derailleurs, spokes, etc. But I view these all as standard wear and tear in a rough sport like MTB'ing. Just the front fork and the seat are items I felt were sub-par. This is a great price tag for a full-suspension bike. I bought it used on Craigslist for $650 from someone who tried MTB'ing and found it wasn't their thing. It was about 3 months old and mint.

John   All Mountain Rider [May 09, 2012]
Strength:

Versatility, weight, suspension, durability, and PRICE!
Comfortable geometry too, but that's an opinion

Stock fork is not so great, stock pedals are bad, no rear-lockout, and it's not so good for road riding.

The Yukon FX is seriously awesome. I've had mine for a few years and its been everywhere from bike parks (did great at Whistler!) to cross country races and everywhere in between. It's even pretty good at jumping around urban areas.

I do a lot of downhill and cross country riding. The Yukon FX is somewhere in between. It is BY NO MEANS a downhill bike, but it does an excellent job making it down rough trails and jumps. It made it through a week of Whistler like a champion and has since done a great job at other bike parks too.
Mostly though, I ride cross country. The Yukon FX is not as light as more expensive cross-country bikes but it is still very manageable. I ride cross country almost every day and have no problem peddling this to the top of mountains quickly.

Lately, I've been doing a lot of urban riding, jumping off of ledges, stairs, ramps, etc. and the Yukon FX is perfect.

The bike isn't 100% perfect though. The stock components are fairly low quality. The Rockshox Dart failed after about 5 months of hard riding. I upgraded to a Rockshox Sektor and it is so much better. I was not a fan of the stock pedals. The stock disc brakes do a great job, but I've upgraded to hydraulics.

Overall, if you are on a budget but want a great bike that can do anything, the Yukon FX is a good choice. I HIGHLY recommend it.