Giant Trance 0 XC Full Suspension

• Chain: Shimano HG 53
  • Cranks: RaceFace Deus LP
  • Rims: Mavic CrossMax ST

Surya   Weekend Warrior [Dec 05, 2013]
Strength:

Amazing bike!! I bought this bike from Tredz, and we done a price match to buy it for £900 ($1450) and it is absolutely outstanding, i have done: Ywal, Penyhdd ect... And it has gone through these tracks like a tank! Looks amazing, feels amazing, and is really smooth. Tires are massive and chunky. 27 gears is loads!

Nothing at all, except pedals, i would reccogment buying the nukeproof pedals with this bike.

Amazing, buy this bike if you are going to buy a full sus. I really do think this bike is amazing, all the people i meet always say: "Nice bike!" or "Nice bike, how much did you pay for it?" This bike is %100 worth buying.

Similar Products Used: Scott aspect 940.
denton an all mmountain rider   [Jun 18, 2013]
Strength:

great tires, good seat, awesome brakes, good for going up steep hill or going down some gnar hills and for the price you cant beat it

both shocks squeak, seat post

overall it is a great bike had it for 6 months and love it, very hard on it and it is still going, cant beat it for the price!

Swhyte   [May 03, 2013]
Strength:

Ride, confidence inspiring handling and value for money

None for this money

Cannot fault this bike. Ive added a 130mm sektor fork, wider bars, shorter stem and a chain device. It eats descents, great all rounder!

950sm07   Cross Country Rider [May 03, 2013]
Strength:

Good components for the price, great geometry, Maestro suspension is unbelievable.

None so far

My first FS bike after a 26" HT and a 29" HT. I kept the 29" HT and I was thinking on buying a 29" FS. I wasn't sure about the 29" on the technical trails and I test rode the 2013 X2 26" on a 20 miles ride and I was sold immediately. I did the body scanning at the LBS and they set up the bike perfectly. The Maestro suspension worked like a flying carpet and I loved everything about the bike. One week later I had my own Trance X2. Since then I am riding it on the local trails and after ~200 miles I am very happy with it.
I hope I won't be disappointed with it in the long term.

marvin rouge   [Apr 02, 2013]
Strength:

Plush full susser which prefers steep techy downhill territory.

I had an XL and really this was a bit small for me (my new bike is XXL). As a result of the high seat post I found it very hard to get front to rear balance right - bike didn't really handle properly unless I had the front suspension harder than the rear - but this tended to sit me over the back wheel too much. Then the front end was overly skittish. I also had to work really hard to get my weight forward in the corners or the front wheel would wash out.

This exacerbated a very poor climbing capability. Repeat, this bike does not climb well. With the wimpy pro pedal in the Fox Float R and no lock out, there is a lot of bob going up hill. Very tiring bike to ride for this reason.

Overall, this bike promised a lot but in the end disappointed. I suspect if it sized me better then I might not have been so disappointed. Also, it might not have disappointed so much if the terrain in my area was steeper. So this is probably not an entirely fair review.

Bottom line: don't buy one of these too small, as it exacerbates a tendency to be over the back wheel. And don't buy this as a XC bike, only use it for AM where you have steeper terrain.

efdeel   [Feb 26, 2013]
Strength:

great price - performance

my 2012 trance, have avid alexir 1 brake set....its not perfect, i change it to shimano deore 569

overall its greatttt bike. for AM, i also change stock stem to funn 45mm for better steering in downhill

P Mac   All Mountain Rider [Jan 12, 2013]
Strength:

Great all round trail bike, climbs and descends equally well, positive handeling, 15mm front axle.

Low bottom bracket clearance, press fit bottom bracket started creaking after 3 rides, cheap grips.

Very capable all round trail bike that dose most things very well. Perfect for the Perth hills except the lower BB height causes a few pedal strikes in the rocky terrain.

Similar Products Used: Giant Reign
thredbo   All Mountain Rider [Jan 09, 2013]
Strength:

plush, looks awesome, descends great, xt rear derailleur is great, light

Paint scratches easily

I bought the 2011 Trance in early 2012 for $2500. This is the first dual-suspension bike that i have owned. I am impressed how easily this bike climbs and I love the buttery smooth suspension on the descents. The XT rear derailleur shifts really smooth. It corners great. I couldn't be happier with this bike. if you want a good, reliable, well-performing bike than this is the bike for you.

Sin city biker   Weekend Warrior [Dec 08, 2012]
Strength:

Picked up a 2008 X2 medium at the end of the calendar year for a good price. First full suspension bike. After riding the hell out of this bike for 4 years, the bike and it's components have held up well. Basic tuning, cleaning, fork and shock rebuilds have kept this bike going strong. I am not lightweight by no means (220 lbs). Handles technical single track and rock gardens well. When descending at speed it handles and keeps a good line. Climbs like a billy goat! I have an tried and true wtb velociraptor mounted on the rear and with the maestro suspension it digs in like a tank tread. Just a great all around xc bike. The Fox fork and shock with maestro suspension shine together.

Stroker ryde brakes. Heavy wheel set.

Can't go wrong for the price. Solid. 3rd Giant MTB bike. They build them to last.

Similar Products Used: Giant ATX770, Specislized Rockhopper.
Dandyboyo2   [Oct 24, 2012]
Strength:

Strengths: Excellent Price for Component ratio, Acceleration, Frame & Design, Lightweight, Reliable stopping brakes, most other components...

Overall this bike has one formidable strength which is: being all round good in every aspect.

unfortunately I have found some weaknesses in my time of riding the bike, but I would just say these weaknesses can easily/cheaply be fixed.

The first weakness I noticed was the seat & post, (Although I fixed this quite easily and at a cheap price)
The seat post was far too high for the bike, I bought a medium size frame and noticed when I lowered my seat as far as it would go I still needed to be 6ft 10" to even touch the floor. I did however take my bike to my LBS (local bike shop) and the cut 3" off my seat post. However that was not the only problem with the seat as I noticed the quick release for the stem was very flimsy and awkward to adjust. The final issue is the actual seat. after riding around an hour my but began to go numb and was quite painful when all I wanted to do was have a nice ride home. I would suggest upgrading the seat straight out, unless you're more of a stand up person, because the seat itself isn't too bad on the eye.
Second weakness I found was the front brake, when testing this on my first day I came to notice a loud squealing noise when slowing, which does in fact make me feel a little comfortable using it when people are nearby.

My third weakness is the tires/inner tubes, after my first day of riding I got my bike home to be cleaned and noticed a piece of plastic stuck in my tire, so I pulled it out; the inevitable happened... My first puncture, I wasn't too fussed about this however, when undergoing the mending process I noticed that the stock tires and inner-tubes are remarkable thin. the tires are too pliable and have no bulk to allow them to hold a structure against my grip, this is the first/second thing I would recommend upgrading on the bike as it seems to me that punctures may be a regular occurrence with the stock wheels.

After noticing the trance x4 almost first in my search for a decent mountain bike I always seemed to go back to it as i felt it had fairly adequate parts for the price which were more affordable than other bikes, such as the Specialized FSR Stumpy.
However I managed to come across the Trance x3 and decided the extra quality of components was worth an extra £250 over the Trance x4.

Excellent Price for Component ratio. (Having bought the bike 1 year + later than it was release) I managed to get the Trance x3 for £1,449.00, which I feel is a superb price for the bike it is.

The frame and design on the Trance x3 is stunning, such an attractive bike.

This bike makes climbing look effort less, the 10-speed drivetrain allows precise changes which provides the rider with versatile climbing over any type of hill.

Acceleration on this bike I feel is immense, a couple of revolutions of the pedals creates so much momentum!
I can easily reach car familiar speeds in gear '12', less than half of the bikes' top gear...

The Fox Float suspension on this bike is great, I have no need to slow down when I approach a curb as I can glide up it with minimum discomfort due to the great quality suspension, this bike takes bunny hops and jumps to an extreme level. :)

After buying the Trance x3, I fully 100% support my decision on bike choice.