Giant NRS Composite 2 XC Full Suspension

Giant NRS Composite 2 XC Full Suspension

For scorching speed and sizzling looks it's hard to better the Giant NRS Composite 2. This off-road rocket boasts a feathery carbon frame that bounds up climbs while its front and rear suspension devour obstacles on the way back down.

[Oct 14, 2011]
afullsodacan

Strength:

Practically no pedal bob, climbs like a champ, lightweight, stiff, fast, little chainslap, FOX SHOCKS, great value now that it is a few years old

Front fork is only an 80 mm, back shock also does not have a whole lot of travel, a lot of people feel that the brakes this bike came with weren't that great

This is by far the best and nicest bike I have ever had. I have only had it for a couple weeks, but the few times I have ridden it, I have been very impressed. As far as pedaling, it is like a hardtail, but when it comes to bumps, it still gives well. It is fast, easy to control, and I feel like I can climb with it quite a bit better than my last bike. I have also finally gotten to see why Fox shocks are so popular--because they are awesome! The only drawback that I have seen for this bike so far is that it is pretty much limited to XC because it does not have a whole lot of travel--but that is fine for me because XC is all I really do.

2005 K2 Crush

[Sep 27, 2005]
Tony Clemente

Strength:

This bike is fast. I sold my NRS2 and got this bike and love it. It points and rides the lines I want it to. The Fox front and rear combo are excellent. I normally want 100mm front but with the bike set-up I have the 80mm is sweet.

I am just afraid to scratch the carbon frame. I actually just purchased a Trance for my trail bike to prevent this poblem.

This bike is a Hard tail minus the butt beating.

[Mar 14, 2006]
Doug

Strength:

Everything that's great about riding a hardtail with the benefits of 3" of rear travel. The bike is light, fast, corners well, and doesn't bob.

The cables wear through the finish quickly, the So1e disc brakes are not very well designed and had to be replaced. The bike comes with Hutchinson Python tires which are great for racing, but I wanted something with a bit more aggressive tread for technical singletrack.

Highly recommend this bike for anyone moving from a hard tail to a full suspension but wanting to maintain the stiffness and agility of the former. This bike can handle anything from racing up to technical singletrack with small drops. Wouldn't want to hit any big jumps or drops with it, but it's perfect for everything else. Had this bike have shipped with better brakes and internally-routed cables, it would be a dream.

Klein Attitude Comp

[Oct 14, 2005]
Aaron Martin

Strength:

Light, great climber, nimble, very fast

The sole brakes just are just plain dangerous. The bike is almost to pretty to ride.

Follow up on my first review. After several trips to Performance and a letter to their corporate office I was finally give a new set of hayes 9 brakes that have worked very well. the so1e brakes were giving me the same issues as others have had and on one trip to the shop the bike was given back to me with brakes that did not work. I complained and they were replaced. I have since made upgrades. I got some wheels built by dave at speed dreams and shaved almost 1.5 pounds off the bike. Other upgrades have me down to under 24 pounds and the bike is more responsive than ever.
The carbon has proven to be strong. I have had a few severe crashes one of which involved a head on impact at high speed that put me in the emergency room. I was more concerned about the bike but it came through without a scratch. I am 200 pounds and I have been riding an average of 50 miles a week since I got it so it has taken a beating. The only problems I have had have been a result of my crashes or other screw ups. besides the brakes the bike has been very solid. Passing people on climbs is very satisfying. The shocks have required no adjustments or maintenance. the allen bolts at the rear wheel on the chainstay have a tendency to loosen and creak but a drop of blue locktite ended that problem,

I have tried them all

[Sep 28, 2006]
Eric

Strength:

The stiffness of the carbon frame completely negates the factors for which I sold the aluminum version of this bike. I was always flexing the AL version of this NRS at the bottom bracket, could feel it with every pedal stroke. I'm not a small guy, and not hard on equipment either, but the AL versions were too light for me. I loved the suspension design though, and it does really well in the kind of environment I ride in.

Should have come with a 100 mm front fork instead of an 80.

I owned and rode extensively a 2001 NRS 1 (aluminum) for about 2.5 years. It was a great bike and I really enjoyed it. What I didn't like was that the frame was so flexy. I took a gamble after being without a good full suspender for a couple of years and bought a C2 on e-bay. The stiffness of the C2 completely resolved all of the issues I had with the AL version. So I kitted it out with full XTR. It's really a sweet bike to ride now. I just wish it had a 100 mm front fork instead of the 80 mm Fox. Maybe one day I'll upgrade. Or I can just ride the 7" travel squishy bike next to it. Overall, the C2 is a great bike. A few choice upgrades makes it outstanding. You don't need full XTR. Shifters and rear Der make a good start.

2001 Aluminum NRS

[May 18, 2006]
Scott

Strength:

The NRS C2 frame is light and responsive. There is virutally no bob when climbing and you loose very little power through the pedal stroke in the full suspension. Through the rough stuff the carbon frame soaks up all the vibration usually associated with hard terraine. This thing is amazing!!!

So far I've had a few problems but nothing my bike shop wasn't able to support. For instance... The Hayes Sole disk brakes kept backing out over long rides... I put some blue locktite on the screws but it kept getting all over the place. This seized my brakes and had to be serviced by the shop. Next I had problems with the front Fox fork. They had to be sent back to Fox for servicing and to add insult to injury, Fox was unwilling to warranty the fork. They sent a $150.00 bill for a product that was faulty and barely a year old. And finally, the Easton EA 50 seat post that came stock with the bike literally fused with the carbon frame. It had to be released with prolink... Somehow when I'm riding the sweat trickles off my forehead and on to the seat post. The salt completely corrorid the post. I've never seen anything like this. Despite these problems the bike is by far the sweetest ride ever.

The bottom line is that this amazing frame was combined with a terrible component setup. But nevertheless, the bike, with a few upgrades is everything I could possibly want in a high performance mountain bike. The manufacturer could have put a better set of components but it would have increased the cost of the bike greater than $3000.00 this would have excluded many people from buying in at that price point. So, when you buy, try to negoitate a few upgrades and be prepared to spend a little to creat the ultimate bike. Remember your getting a carbon composite frame. With a few upgrades you will have a very fast bike.

Santa Cruze Blur XC

[May 16, 2006]
matt H.

Strength:

well to start out with i bought this frame, then put custon wheels on it, rock shox JUdy4 fork on the front, and i got hayes disc barkes on it and, and a fox float r shox on the back! this bike is all custom! this climbs great!it kicks a hard tails ass at every thing! climbing, it has no bob, and the shox works so good on the down hills the parts on it are insanely nice the hole thing is awesome ive been riden a hard tail sense i was 10 which was 5 years ago and this bike is the best mtb in book!

none jus have 2 clean it alot cuz i love it so much!

this bike kick ass!jus about anything made by giant does!

rocky mt. slayer, and the Giant anthem!

[Dec 22, 2005]
Todd McCarthy

Strength:

Light
Sexy Carbon fiber
Geometry
Ride
Climbing ability

The cables and brake lines wear throgh the finsh quickly. The Sole brakes are not good if you are going to ride hard. I would not use these brakes if you are going to RACE the bike.

Great bike for the money.

Truth, Blur, Epic

[Dec 22, 2005]
Milwaukeehaze

Strength:

Lightweight, plush feel with no "bob", handles like a hardtail, and looks cool.

Only the Hayes So1e brakes.

This bike is awesome! I have owned 3 hardtails...2 Trek 8000's and a Klein Attitude and all were excellent bikes, but moving to a FS bike was the best move I have made! This bike eats up every bump with ease and handles like a hardtail, but will save my back on epic rides.

As you can see from the bike setup section, I have upgraded almost everything except for the frame and shocks and it comes in at just over 25 lbs. My Klein was 24.5, so this is awesome for a FS bike.

The bike came with some decent components, but the Hayes So1e brakes were terrible. I had the Hayes HFX-9 on my Klein and they were good. So, I upgraded to the Avid Juicy 7 and they rock!

If you can get your hands on this bike for a decent price like I did, go for it because it will be the best investment you make in a bike.

Only hardtails

[Jun 20, 2005]
Neil Ireland

Strength:

Suspension-Fox front and rear are extremely well balance and rear "zero bob" works as advertised. Light weight...Carbon Frame

Brakes-Hayes Sole. These brakes leave a lot to be desired. Initially, I was adjusting them (tightening cable back up to get lever pressure back) after every ride. A pain in butt. Finally a little lock tight and I have eliminated this step. However, they are single piston hydraulic and my Avids on my previous bike had better stopping power and less headaches

Overall, this is a very nice ride. It is quite light for a FS ride @ 27lbs. Climbing is also very quick for a full suspension and I have not felt compromised in comparison to a hardtail in the least. While the suspension is fairly tight, it is very sufficient for XC riding or racing in that it compresses where needed without getting jarred out of your riding position over bumps. I mentioned the brakes are mediocre at best for a disc. This will likely be my first upgrade.

I must mention that this ride is very quick too. It seems to perform best while going fast and also in tight singletrack. Overall a very worthwhile investment. If you are interested in a bike you can race, either seriously (may want to upgrade a couple of things) or for fun, this is a great buy. Will be interesting to see how well the Carbon holds out...

None-I am a devoted Giant customer