Giant NRS Composite 1 XC Full Suspension

• Fork: Fox FRL, 80mm travel
  • Headset: FSA Orbit ACB
  • Spokes: Stainless Steel, 14/15G butted

Jonathan Kibrick   [Jul 28, 2013]
Strength:

Efficient on uphill. Performance on the downhill with comfort.

None, only that they don't manufacture it anymore.

Buy one used if you like covering distance in comfort while doing the downhill with total control and comfort. High value bike. Bike was recommended by a friend who really knows and covets quality bicycles. This has and is my all time favorite mountain bike.

Beardo   Cross Country Rider [Jan 07, 2013]
Strength:

Durability, Handling

Small amount of bob but understandable for a 2004 bike, weight compared to new bikes

The bike has been brilliant and I've covered more than 12000kms on it, mix of road and off road riding trails all around South Australia. A few parts have been replaced in this time, but the frame is still going strong. Rock Shox Reba leaked after a few years, but had them serviced once and still working nicely. The bike is great for fine tuning to your weight and riding style.

rkj__   Racer [Mar 27, 2011]
Strength:

A great combination of efficiency and comfort.

Not a dramatic improvement over the aluminum version.

I love this bike. It sprints like a hardtail, but is much more comfortable. Cartridge bearings all around, and a Fox rear shock stay smooth for a long time.

I got this frame as a warranty replacement for an aluminum NRS. Honestly, I did not notice a significant difference moving to the carbon front triangle.

Similar Products Used: Aluminum NRS
Jakob   Cross Country Rider [Oct 13, 2008]
Strength:

Smooth, stiff, strong, light, nice look (i dont have the US-painted frame, but a frame in black only. Much nicer..:)

Out of production and replaced with a frame wich is maybe even better, but not that nice.

A fantastic frame.

Similar Products Used: Fuel 9,9
noguerol   Cross Country Rider [Jun 18, 2008]
Strength:

Very light, super finish, really effective anti-bob suspension.

None.

Absolutely great frame. Very light (2.5kg at 22,5") and very effective suspension system, with no bob when pedaling in the seat nor standing while offering true absorption of medium to big bumps. Top notch carbon manufacture with a very sleek gloss finish.

Steve   Weekend Warrior [Jun 01, 2008]
Strength:

A very well-designed suspension system/frame that allows you to build a light bike that won't fall apart. Superb Giant carbon layup as usual.

None.

I transferred many of the parts over from my 23.75 pound '99 DS1 to this frame. I also upgraded the fork and some other parts. This bike resolves many of the issues I had with my DS1; having to use my Risse Astro-5's lever to stop bobbing, and a few other small things. The frame is an absolute work of art per usual for Giant. If you want a plush-riding bike this isn't it! It is a great trail bike that does all it's advertised to do. I also like the fact that the shock and fork offer a significant range of adjustment. Plus the fork has an inch more travel than my old '99 SID. This bike may not be for everyone, but if you want a serious cross-country style ride then grab one of these while you can still find them. I found a frame/shock and didn't hesitate to grab it.

Similar Products Used: '99 XtC DS1
Steve   [May 24, 2008]
Strength:

Does all it is claimed to; like a hardtail until you need the suspension. I was amazed at how well it worked after wheeling through some local trails that I'd ridden with my old frame/fork/shock ('99 Xtc DS1/'99 SID/Risse Astro-5). Perfect bike for my needs and I got a deal on it too.

Clear coat easy to scratch, but I can live with that.

I wanted to drop from the 18.5" frame with my old bike to a frame with more standover. And maybe upgrade a little at the same time. I did that, and am still amazed at how well the NRS suspension works when it needs to, and how well it pedals when you don't need it. The fork is a huge improvement over the old flexy SID. Giant really offers some nice bikes, and I'm still kicking myself for waiting this long to get the NRS C1 frame going. The NRS may not be for everyone, but if it suits your rides it is a top-notch suspension design to say the least!

Similar Products Used: '99 XtC DS1
Mark   Cross Country Rider [Mar 09, 2006]
Strength:

Lightweight, easy to maneuver, really does what it says--NO PEDAL-BOB! I even had a Fox Float RL shock with lockout from another bike ready to swap, but haven't felt the need for it.

I wish the rear triangle was also carbon fiber.

This is a great carbon frame for a great price. To bad Giant isn't making it any more. Buy one while they are still around!