Giant NRS 3 XC Full Suspension

Giant NRS 3 XC Full Suspension

Giant's NRS 3 can help you ride further, faster and finish every ride less fatigued. It sports Giant's top-end ALUXX aluminum frame with NRS suspension technology that improves comfort, preserves momentum and increases control.

[Feb 20, 2012]
caseybones

Strength:

I love this bike and I've been riding it for 10+ years. I was a triathlete cyclist turned XC mt biker years ago, and was looking for a great hill climber. I am 5'3" and don't weigh much over 100 lbs. Today I am much more of a weekend warrior, and this bike fits the bill for my past avid cycling and my present day needs. It isn't a cushy ride by modern day full suspension standards, but then again if that is most important to you then maybe you need a beach cruiser.

For me the 'small' frame, 16", is too big. I would have preferred a 14 or 15, but this was the smallest they made in those days for these full suspension. Yes, much has changed, but I get a lot of satisfaction out of this bike, and it still climbs like a monkey. The bike is a little heavy, but unless you are racing and can tell the difference of a pound or two, it isn't that important. My other biggest gripe is this model is pre-disc brakes. The current brakes aren't bad and don't need adjusting too often, but they are what they are - old school.

If you find one of these used that has been taken care of, and you don't want to spend a lot, buy it, because it's a great deal. You don't need a lot of modern bling to have a great ride.

[Aug 19, 2010]
hookooekoorider

Strength:

Great geometry, climbs great, fast

SID shock, Pilot fork

A fast cross country full suspension bike. Switching out the Rockshox SID shock for a 2005 Fox Float R with Propedal made a world of difference, and I didn't even need to buy new reducers for the shock (amazingly they were the same size). Now, there is much better small bump compliance and the bike doesn't kick me out of my seat when I go over medium/large bumps, plus there's still very little pedal bob. The Pilot also had to go...tried an 80mm Marzocchi at first, but then decided to with a 100mm RS Recon fork. The 100mm fork makes it a much better all around cross country bike and barely changes the geometry. The bike was very flickable with the 80mm fork and a little less so with the 100mm fork, but that is actually desireable as it was maybe a tad too twitchy before. I also offset the change in geometry by getting a longer stem. In my opinion, the geometry change is negligible and definitely outweighed by the superior bump compliance of a 100mm fork. Also got disc rims and disc brakes, but that's not critical for the kind of riding one would do with this bike anyhow. I have a Giant Trance 2 with the Maestro suspension, and I actually like riding the NRS more for cross country rides...it climbs better and is faster.

Stumpjumper hardtail, Giant Trance 2 (maestro suspension)

[Apr 17, 2010]
wazi_woo

Strength:

Well designed full suspension

Have stopped making them. Parts becoming harder to get (rear shock).

Wow, can't believe how good this thing is. Been a hard tail rider for a long time. Got this bike for a bargain second hand, done less than 1000 miles in its life and never been raced. Brilliant.

Hard tail before

[Feb 22, 2010]
soulknight

Strength:

Climbs like a mountain goat.

RS Pilot SL fork. It's heavy and only work moderately well. The fork will be my next upgrade. Frame was built as a disc ready bike yet lacked seat stay guides for disc brake cable. I know thats a small issue but its all about attention to detail.

I bought it new from the local LBS. This bike is not an all terrain assault vehicle but that's not what it was designed for. It was built for climbing and finesse. It will get you to the top quickly and back down the other side with relative ease. The NRS set up is still one of the best in my book. I will continue to ride it until the frame cracks.

Giant Hard Tail & tested various other soft tails.

[Nov 14, 2009]
trarahumara

Strength:

The frame! Awesome. Even though the bike is 6 years old, the frame and suspension system is still up to today's standards;
The bike demonstrates good stiffness and little flex.

Slightly on the heavy side, but I overdid it with triple treatment (slime, heavy duty tubes and liners---you feel it in the rolling resistance, but then again, I've never had a flast.
While a solid bike, it's geometry keeps it from being fast and maneuverable.
Front sprockets ok but not the greatest

A good choice for weekend warriors that want a bike that'll take all sorts of punishment and abuse. Great for steady pushers rather than speed freaks.

Proflex Beast

[May 06, 2008]
BUDI INDARWAN

Strength:

I bought nrs3 1 year ago and mostly use at mountain area with variable surface,up till now i have no complain,this bike works well on me,i'm 167cm/68kg's,on flat surface this bike feel comfortable lite,uphill feels like hardtail bike,downhill a bit scary,but since i change with rockshox tora it feel great,for manouvering fantastic,the botom line this bike is worth it with the price

comes with shimano lx rd and fd,deore crank,avio shifter,

Good bike for xc

[Apr 11, 2006]
Matt Smith

Strength:

Great climber, good handling, virtually no 'bob'.

Fork not too hot.

I've only owned this bike for a month or so but i'm impressed enough to write a review already.
Don't get me wrong, it's by no means the best bike on the market but at £470 (in a sale) it is very good value for money.
Other full suspension bikes I have riden do seem to suffer more form 'bob' when climbing out of the saddle but the NRS remains pretty solid. It is no slouch on the downhill sections either, although travel is a little bit limmited at both ends (then again it never claims to be a downhill rig).
The only criticism I have is the front fork is a bit low budget although they are better on the higher spec bikes in the range (dam my short arms and deep pockets!).
If you want a full suspension bike on a budget I would recomend it without hesitation.

Scott FX, Giant Trance.

[Mar 17, 2006]
Doug

Strength:

Fast and light. Very little bob.

Weak components especially the fork, and crank.

This is a follow up review. I've had this bike for 2+ years now. It's still riding great. I was going to upgrade the shifters and wheels, but I'm saving the money for my next bike. Anyway, the bike and components have held up very well, so I can't justify spending the dough to change them. My main suggestion, CHANGE THE FORK. For $200, a good fork will make all the difference. I've burned through 3 chains, but that's basic maintenance stuff. After riding for a while I realized the stock handlebars were kind of wide for me. I chopped 2 inces off and it's more comfortable with the narrower stance. I guess to conclude, this bike has made me a fan of Giant mtn. bikes in general. Oh yeah, just a word of warning. Make sure you set up the suspension for your weight. I broke my arm while trail riding because I had the rear shock setup for the road. When I landed a jump, the shock acted like a spring and threw me over the handlebars. (Don't do what I did kids.)

Klein, Trek Fuel, etc.

[Mar 05, 2006]
Igi boy

Strength:

Low cost but durable.

Squeaks when not properly maintained. Internal paint corrossion on allux....is this warrantable?

Value for money. Not dissappointing for first FS bike. Upgradable. Durable, can withstand 2-3ft. jumps(make sure the air pressure is correct for your weight).

None, this is my first FS bike.

[Feb 26, 2006]
Jake

Strength:

A little squish without the weight. An efficient climber. Perfect for cruising the singletrack. Fast and comfortable.

Don't sneeze too hard or the paint will come off, and the stock tires will lose their nugz. Mediocre componentry.

For the advancing biker on a budget, this is the best choice. I traded in my old hardtail and got onto this bike with Avid BB7s for around $1000. The truth is, it's hard to find a decent full suspension XC bike for less than a grand. I honestly think that this is the most efficient concept for a full suspension XC bike. Don't wait to upgrade the brakes, though. I rode the stock brakes for one season, and then put on the bb7s, and it was a whole new experience on the downhill. This bike fits like a glove now, and I don't know if I'll ever buy another one unless my frame gets mauled by a kodiak bear.