Giant Anthem XC Full Suspension

It is the world’s first no-compromise suspension, with total pedaling independence, zero brake jack and complete suspension activity, three key fundamentals. The Anthem is built for speed with its 3.5 inch travel and amazing agility achieved through meticulously pared down weight, lightning fast geometry and wide open cockpit.

Skyler Shylock   Cross Country Rider [Oct 19, 2014]
Strength:

Lightweight and agile.

None.

Love this bike, now that I am looking for a 27.5 upgrade, I appreciate the value of this bike even more.

kevin   [Jul 01, 2014]
Strength:

strong uphill climber, lightweight, smooth gear transitions, easy tuning suspension fork

tire grip can be improved during wet weather conditions

On riding, feels featherlight with excellent control/handling response. the bike is very good on uphill climbs making it seems almost effortless with the sram xo rear derailleurs where shifting up of 2 or 3 speeds can be instantly achieved. The front rockshox fork allows easy adjustment of the hardness of suspension required. The rear fox float suspension can be adjusted as well allowing the bike to perform like a hardtail if required.

For speed runs, this bike might not be as fast due to maybe i'm running on a 26" anthem. But overall still an excellent full suspension bike.

rj2   Racer [Feb 26, 2014]
Strength:

I purchased a used 2013 Anthem X Advanced 1 29er. Met all three criteria: Light, strong, and cheap. Originally retailed for $4,800, got mine for $2,550 shipped. Really is

No warranty, no shock setup instructions, oversized steerer tube could be limiting

You can buy a game. I tested this bike at it's Sea Otter launch and finally rode a bike that was significantly better than my 24.3 lb NRS. I've raced it twice and finished 7 and 6th vs. guys almost six years younger. That's huge when the group is 45–54. Once I converted the wheels to tubeless, and swapped the bars and seat post for carbon, it's only a half-pound heavier than the NRS. Can't wait for a carbon wheel set and Shimano's 1x11 to make it a real KOM machine.

Blue&Yellow   Cross Country Rider [Sep 14, 2013]
Strength:

Superb rear suspension, light for a full suspension bike, very good geometry, stable when you want it to be stable, flickable when you want it to be flickable, very good built quality - no quality issues so far.

Weighs more than a hardtail? Carbon fiber doesn't like rocky crashes? Struggling to come up with something.

Amazing, amazing, amazing. I've been riding mtb's for 20 years or so, did a bit of racing just for fun. Still pretty fit and ride around 10h/week. My style is smooth and fast XC - my motto is that if it looks slow and unstressed it probably means you picked the right line and didn't waste energy. I usually pass everyone on the trails...

Still - I feel that there is no pride lost when I say that this bike is better than me... that should give you some idea as to how good the SL1 is. This bike is so composed and well mannered that it's almost impossible to get it out of shape, and it's saved my ass on more than one occasion when I know that other bikes would have sent my flying.

The geometry is very interesting - the bike seems to be stable when you want it to be stable and flick-able when you want to flick it. I've been tacking very technical and fast trails between pine trees and then the bike feels agile and loose, I've been sliding down steep rocky hills and then it's been stable and secure, I've been attacking boulders and rocks and then it almost feels like a trials bike. I have no idea how but whatever they did with the geometry clearly works.

The full suspension works very, very well in my opinion. In the beginning I played a bit with the different modes but now I just keep it open. The performance hit is minimal and it's nice to know that the bike responds exactly the same way all the time. As all full suspension bikes you might have to adjust your riding a bit, it rewards a smoother approach with more sitting down and spinning rather than standing up.

The only problem I have with the bike is that it's so God damn good and so God damn smooth that it almost feels too easy - lol. Sometimes I take my old hardtail out for spin just because it's actually fun to be a bit more active with the body, stand up a bit more and get get my teeth shattering - lol. But I know I'm faster on the anthem - much faster.

Dan   [Jul 22, 2013]
Strength:

Light, fast and pretty to look at. All XTR equipment and very reliable.

None with the exception that the bike is way too good for the current riders ability.... give me time though!

After months of considering other bikes made by Specialized, Lapierre, Santa Cruz etc, etc. I stumbled upon this little gem. On researching I began to challenge what bikes were used by the successful professional mountain bikers out there and worked on the logic, if it's recommended by them, then it must be something special. Living in the UK, Liam Killeen is the UK No 1 ranked mountain biker in the country and his favourite bike is the Giant Anthem X Advanced SL. I have to agree with him since buying this bike. It's light, responsive, fast, and, although not a critical requirement of a bike, very nice looking! I managed to pick this up used at less than half the cost of its brand new price tag but if paid full price wouldn't be giving 5 chilli's - shop around if you're interested and you may be lucky. You can actually turn heads with this bike! It does everything it needs to with the utmost efficiency. Buy this bike and every ride will have you grinning cheek to cheek. You'll be flying past the competition. It does everything well, and just that little bit better than every other bike I've ever ridden.

xfimpg   [May 16, 2013]
Strength:

Climbs effortlessly, no bobbing
Very nervous handling, which can be toned down by switching from 2.1's to 2.5's

The fox float fork creaking... drives me nuts.

It's a great buy, not to mention lifetime warranty on the frame.

dan wiseman   [Jan 11, 2013]
Strength:

good allrounder, lightwieght, components

avid 7 brakes are crap, first job replace them

excellent bike reliable, fast, and for £1699 you can't go wrong

roxstar72   Cross Country Rider [Dec 23, 2012]
Strength:

lightweight, climbs like a hardtail, descends well

stock maestro rear shocks needs periodic preventive maintenance..usual bubble on paint on the areas of bottlecage bolts(corrosion?)..poor head tube logo finish.

as a descendant of the Giant NRS(no resonance system),this bike climbs well with zero to minimal pedal bob.a great XC rig for its price.

Similar Products Used: Giant NRS
Shane   [Nov 08, 2012]
Strength:

The bike handles great and is very responive. Extreamly light and asends hill climbs like there not even there. Components work well and is a great cross country bike.

The frame design from the top tube to the seat has to much leverage (in my opinion) and reduces strength to the top tube weld, i have already had to replace the frame due to cracking on the top tube weld. My rear shock leaked 2 months in. Do yourself a favour and replace the tyres with something that grips soon as you get it.

The bike overall is a great bike to ride for trails (anything under a three foot drop off the bike handles great), climbing is second to none, however i would recomend going to a trance if you intend riding rougher or more techo style tracks where you need the bike to soak up the track, i found the Anthem tends to loose its stability once you really start pushing it through faster technical desents

Race Man   [Sep 17, 2012]
Strength:

This bike likes to get up and go when laying down power, active suspension when its needed over the rough, race feel, 10 speed gearing spot on for the bike, fork smooth, no need for a lockout on the rear it pedals so good, tires race ready and good in a variety of other conditions, bar width perfect for this bike, weight light and feels lighter to ride. Can convert the wheels to tubeless with rim tape and am classic valve stems.

Front der flexes too much so I put an XX on it and made the bike so much better, taking the bottom bracket spacer out and putting it on the non drive side helped as well. The head tube is a bit long so take the spacers out from underneath the stem. This may be more of an issue on smaller models.

I have raced/rode this bike for a season now and really like it. Not a trail bike but good for most tame to moderate trails as the suspension is quite active. This bike pedals under power better than other designs I have tried, single pivot, DW link, trek full floater etc. I have loved doing a race season on this bike with no mechanicals!!! not even a flat.