Giant 2001 Warp DS 3 XC Full Suspension

Giant 2001 Warp DS 3 XC Full Suspension

[May 19, 2011]
Frederick Alvarez

Strength:

riding this for 10 years with minor self maintenance.
great suspension, durability and precision.takes the bumps smoothly after you adjust the stock suntour fork and rear spring suspension. I didn't have to change my name to "Bob".

I sincerely can't think of any, haven't had any probs
it's taken a lot of abuse and still keeps kicking. I have had more trouble with the front avid mech. brake than with the warp ds 3.

I am partial to Giant or would have never bought this bicycle.
I am EXTREMELY happy with this and will get a Giant 29er sometime in the near future.
I've ridden it like a maniac almost every day of the season for 10 years and this heap has never let me down! You just cant go wrong with a Giant! I know of racers taking this warp frame and using it in the downhill.

I have ridden products from most of the other major commercial companies across the board in this price range and in my opinion, nothing touches it.

[Dec 18, 2001]
Alec

Strength:

cool colour, light frame, good rear sustpension(pitty bouut the the forks though), chunky tires for good grip

those damn suntour Forks they suck there stiff in the cold, sticky in the heat, and bottem out too much. if i where you id upgrade to better ones.

very cool bike, good for almost anything.

first dual suspension.

[Mar 23, 2002]
Pete T

Strength:

Huge tires - 2.4! Sturdy frame. Good rear suspension. Not too great, but once you upgrade a lot of the bike, it will work better.

Front fork, small rims, somewhat heavy, not good drivetrain

With the riding I do, I abuse my bike, and currently, I have broke my derailleur hanger twice, and I had to carry my bike back out of the woods. The real problem is the rims because they don't fit the 2.4 tires, which slip off easily. This is really my first bike that I own. It has been great with the riding I have done - North Shore, DHing, and basically Freeriding. There are better bikes out there than this, but for the value, it is a good full suspension bike.

Specialized Rockhopper FSR, Haro Extreme X.0

[Oct 28, 2001]
Brian

Strength:

2.4 tires, rear shock, stiff frame

front shock mushy, water bottle location (unless you like mud w/ your water)

I looked at alot of FS bikes in this price range. None came close to this bike. The bike rides really good, shifts great, and is geared good for hills. The suspension does a good job of soaking up the bumps and not beating you up. The front fork is a little soft, but I can live with that for now. For recreational mtn. biking, you can't go wrong with the DS3. Great bike, well worth the money.

1st FS bike

[Jan 24, 2002]
Clatyon

Strength:

Good Warranty Plan

Frame

Look here people, I liked this bike when I wrote my previous review as you can read below. But now, a few months later, I still like it but Something bad has happened. My rear triangle cracked clean open not long ago. It was replaced (the part) for free, but labor isn't covered. When this happened the bike dropped enough to bend my front derailer (which was independently connected) into my crank. The derailer was toast. So I rode quite a bit more cautiously--namely, I stopped wheelie dropping whenever possible and rode rather carefully-- Hey I should be happy, at least it was under warranty. But now I take my bike into the shop on Jan 24,2002 and there is a fracture in the middle tube in the front part of the frame where it connects to the downtube. So it will cost me again for just the labor. The upside is that Giant sent a whole frame (rear triangle and front frame) to my bikeshop because of last time, so at least they have the frame on hand. So, this bike is costing me more than anticipated. However, the crack may have been there earlier, when the triangle was replaced. Anyway, this doesn't happen to the average rider from what I hear at my bikeshop. But at least giant was good about it. Hey, now I will have a whole completelyh new bike from when I started. I still love my bike and hope to be riding it by next week. I still reccomend this bike to anyone.

[Jan 20, 2002]
Trent
Downhiller

Strength:

The rear shock is O.K. I like how it has the rebound control. The nice fat 2.4 motorapter tires.

The frame is crap. I cracked the rear shock mount in about 1 month. The fork sux it only works when it is warm. But not at all when cold. But it is a suntur what do yuo expect.
The crank could be a little better. I had to get a new one because the old one wore out.

This bike is alright if your not going to ride it hard, but if your going to ride like a man get a mans bike. Geting replacement parts is easy. When I cracked my frane I got my new one within a week. Giants slogan,"bilt to be ridden'" dose not fit this bike. I rode it and it fell apart. beginner down hiller don't by this bike It's not for you. It would be an aright XC bike thou.

[Jan 15, 2002]
Matt

Strength:

Strong Frame - great starting point for an excellent all-around bike. Incredible Value

Some low end stock components but ok.

I finally have 75 or so miles on this thing and it is awsome. I took my old components off my hard tail and this thing is now down to 28.5 lbs. It is rock solid, climbs great, decends even better and I had a great time building it. I posted earlier (in the 2002 model by mistake)as I was so jazzed after my first couple rides. I've had it out now 5 times and it is better each ride. I had some issues with the Manitou six fork I first uprgraded with and Answer came through for me (with an upgrade charge) but treated me as fairly as any big manufacturer can. Anyway, great bike for the money..awsome with some upgrades.

First full suspension bike

[Jan 06, 2002]
Vinny
Downhiller

Strength:

strong frame
nice rear shock
pedals good both up and down hill
I like the tires it comes with
a good bike for begginer downhillers
extremly nice when you have it souped up

the fork but it isnt to bad when it gets worked in I just got a new fork to fix that prob and thats all

This is a bad ass bike that you can throw around. It can take anything from dirt jumps to supper steep downhills just throw a new fork on this beast and your ready to take on anything. I love my bike.

gt i drive 2.0 kind of

[Feb 19, 2003]
mark shiels

Strength:

strong frame, 20.5 is great for 6 feet and up, even for smaller riders is fine cause of the low standover height, good tires,rear shock is great, good adjustability, 4 or 5 inch setting with rebound adjustment.

front fork is easy to bottom out for a heavier rider and it has no rebound adjustment,small pedals,crappy seat.

great entry level full suspension bike, with a few bucks spent in the right places can be a great bike for the average rider.

nothing comparable, just an old BRC bought in 1990.

[Mar 14, 2004]
Miles Webster

Strength:

Swallows bumps, good cranks and accesories. When I switched the forks it took just about everything.

Forks. I traded them after a while, but they still had enough time for me to despise them. Evil little sticks of metal they are

This bike was good when i started (I was about 12). But now i'm older and doing hatrder stuff so this bike isn't quite as good as it used to be. The frame packed it in after almost 3 years of faithful service. Good for a bit of technical, jumping, etc but not as strong as i would of liked