Gary Fisher Sugar 2 XC Full Suspension

Gary Fisher Sugar 2 XC Full Suspension

• Frame: Platinum Series ZR9000 double butted aluminum Genesis Geometry | b*link swingarm w/ carbon fiber stays
  • Wheels: Bontrager Race wheelsystem | IRC SeracXC tires
  • Componentry: Shimano XTR SGS rear derailleur + Deore XT shifters + componentry front derailleur | Avid Single Digit-5 direct pull brakes | Bontrager Race splined crank | Time ATAC clipless pedals
  • Suspension: Manitou Mars Elite w/ TPC damping (80mm travel) | Cane Creek AD-12 Air rear shock (2.8î travel)

[Aug 09, 2013]
andrew

Strength:

Reliable tough and able. I have been just hammering on this 2002 for 3000k and just love it. Treck replaced the rear triangle last year under warranty (can you believe it?). I'm a big dude 200lbs and have crashed this thing hard so many times and just picked it up and kept on going.

Chain sick when dropping into the granny under load. Not really an issue. I drop down maybe one or twice a season.

Heavy as compared to today's bikes, but tough. Does what it is supposed to do and still competes with the hard tail 29ers that I will upgrade too at the end of year. I do think I will part with this bike as it is the bike that I can set out on a 50k single track and M ow it will make it back. Climbs well, rips down hill well and weaves in the singles real nice. Good for a big clumsy beginner right up to a high end intermediate. I would drop 1k on one with xtr components with disk brakes. Oh and I have gone 1200 k on 1 solid tune up and it is shifting well, just needs brake pads. Economical tough And able. Great bike.

[May 26, 2011]
SORBA Biker

Strength:

Price
Rear Shock
Versitility
Speed

Stock tires for agressive riding
Age of componentry

I was able to grab mine used for only 500 bucks and it has served me well. First of all, Its better at climbing than I am. Also its a sturdy bike for sure, I've luanched it off many a small jump and have hit a few 3 foot drops. I am kind of worried about doing anything bigger than that on mine because I bought it with a small (mostly cosmetic)dent in the bottom tube. It can certainly handle the downhills well, although I would say cornering at speed is a bit tricky. Some of the drivetrain components are stating to go on mine but thats not bad for it being almost 10 years old. If you can pick one up for under 1000 I'd say go for it. If you have more money I would go with a newer bike. This is an excellent for XC to Agressive XC riding.

[Jul 03, 2002]
Robert

Strength:

Great Frame and components. Lighting quick down hill.

Rear bobs when I hammer down.

Great bike. I was a little skeptical at first about buying a Fisher but since she was one sale- I couldn't refuse. This bike rocks! I had a slight accident the other day my bike drop 15 feet or so down off of the trail. After spending a half-hour getting down to it and throwing up on trail- not a thing was knocked out of wack. This bike rips and I simple love it.

Cannondale Killer V 900, Super V 3000

[Jul 03, 2002]
andy

Strength:

Price, lightweight, mars fork, components (time pedals,crow bar, tubeless compatable rims.

had to have frame replaced immediately post purchace due to drivetrain missalignment, new frame is perfect.

This is an update on a prior review. I have been riding with the new frame for about a month and have fallen in love with this bike. On the tight New England single track I ride (no big drops) it is smooth and handles sharply. Climbing is unbelievable and downhilling is point and shoot. More rear travel might make it a little smoother on the really rough stuff, but would probably hurt the climbing and sprinting. As soon as I get done with a ride I'm already thinking of the next one. My back doesn't hurt, and my butt is happy. I also weigh 205 lbs. and have had no issues at this point with durability. This is an IDEAL cross country specific bike, comfortable enough for epic rides.

Klein Mantra, tried FSR, Jekyll, Giant NRS

[Nov 27, 2001]
Louis

Strength:

Light weight, Revised components for "02" model (Frame, seat,tires, bottom bracket and Front Fork)

It doesn't clean itself off after a ride!

I'm in love! This bike has made me a better rider. My lower back also enjoys what the whole ride experience brings. The bike absolutely climbs like a mountain goat and the stability of the ride allows you to desend at speeds unthought of on a hardtail.

It took a couple rides to realize that the setup instuctions for the rear schock are incorrect. The air pressure should be 45 to 60 pounds less than your body weight or else you will never even come close to utilizing the travel that is available.

I also decided to take the stock very light rims and brakes off and save them for race days. I just put on Mavic 317 disk rims and XT hubs for non race days. I removed stock brakes and installed Avid Mechanical Disks and a Solid Metal Jacket cable set. The Brake sets can be swapped in 30 minutes since they each have their own set of cables. There is a disk carrier bracket that Fisher can supply through your local dealer that mounts to the swingarm and is designed for Avid "01" mechanical brakes. The part number is 210648.

This bike is everything I expected and more based on the improvements that Gary and his team implemented from last year. What the majority of reviewers wrote about the "01" Sugar is true, "Sugar is Sweet". If you ride cross country and want a top notch bike with nice specs, this bike is for you!

[Jan 19, 2002]
sam

Strength:

light, fast, absolutely perfect once you dail it in. after i ripped all the crap off it and made it my own, it is unbelievable.

about all of the stock components, bushings need replaced / maintained when ridden hard in mud (but i guess thats to be expected!) oh yea- pait job is ugly, white turns to jiz from dirt and sun

if you can find a frame and build it up, thats the way to go. for the cost, you'd think you would get some quality components. on a $2k+ non-ti bike, LX is an insult. as are those worthless nano-raptors tires. semi-slicks offer better traction. but the work is worth it.. that aside, the frame is the best design going-- see the simalar DEAN, Titus, Santa Cruz and Klien offerings. also, the old f/s litespeed obed was real close.

most short travel f/s bikes

[Jan 03, 2002]
Steven Schneider

Strength:

Climbes great for a full suspension bike. Good balance and angles. The suspension takes the hard hits away coming down. I weigh 200lbs and wasn't sure this bike would hold up but it has. Overall the best bike I have owned.

Rear shock seems to get loose or sloppy the colder it gets. Winter riding plays games with the rear shock.

Great Bike! Can't wait for my next one!

[Dec 25, 2001]
Roger Brandt

Strength:

Light, Smooth riding. Great componants. The tires do well on hard pack, they are fair in muddy conditions.

Prepare to take some ribbing. SUGAR is not a real manly name. The front shock is tough to dial in for us 200 pounders. It tends to compress on hard turns.

Its a great bike. If you are only riding rail trails and the like this bike is OVERKILL. If you are doing single track, power lines, or backwoods trails this bike is for you. The toughest decision was to to choose between the Disk brakes or have the lighter bike.

Giant SE1, XCR

[Dec 23, 2001]
Storm Ferguson

Strength:

Climbs better than my 2000 model, as it easier to keep the front wheel down. Downhilling is just as good, with the carbon rear triangle giving great stiffness. Handles my size and weight very well and comfortably.

Absolutely appaling service from Fisher. Bike delivered with only left hand pedals - factory has done nothing. Bontrager wheels don't hold tubeless air. Factory has no idea what ride kit spring is specified for the Manitou fork. Contacted Manitou and discovered all are medium. E-mails to the factory and to the 'great' Gary himself remain unanswered!

I'm 6'5" and 225lbs. The bike fits great and the riser bar just takes the edge off the hand pressure. Climbs brilliantly and descends with surety. Still incredible value over the Sugar 1. The cranks and chain rings may have to be changed to XT later, but the Bontragers seems better than those before. The wheels are really shocking. The poor attempt at tubeless sucks. Dump the duds and switch to Crossmax. Hey and send the whole plant on a service training course! The bike is a 4.0 due to the wheels and the service is a 0 'cos there is none! Overall 3.0

2000 Sugar 2

[Nov 21, 2001]
frucktard

Strength:

Wow, this bike is so light its not even funny. The manitou fork is like butter, and the Time pedals are just super, even if they arn't carbon. Another "Good Thing" is the seat, although it seams like only a granny would ride on it, it is suprisingly comfortable. Oh yeah, the grips are better than yeti's.

They went a little overboard over at Fisher to make this bike light. On the XL frame they put the same wheels as the small, which is okay until you wreak them. It only took one real crash to taco my front one and I'm curious how long the back will last. It's not really so much of a problem with the bike, but my fault for not putting something beefier on. Two little things to beech (it dosn't let you cuss) about are the brakes not being as strong as expected and the riser bar and stem. who really cares about the brakes as long as you can lock up the back wheel relatively easily and the bar and stem are personal preferences.

I'm really impressed by this bike and the way it rides. the air pressure in back is difficult to perfect but its only a matter of time. The brakes are adequate but not impressive, while the XT-XTR components are superb. The wheels are light and flimsey but they are tubeless if you choose and the ride is nice in the single track. Fire roads are fun to, and the rear suspension does its job the way it was designed to: No Bobbing unless you make it. It's definently a race bike.

I test rode the scapel, fuel, and some mongoose offering but none are as nice in my mind. Hence the sugar