Gary Fisher Cake 2 XC Full Suspension

• Shimano M505 ATB clipless pedals
  • Bontrager Select Disc Specific wheelsystem

[Apr 14, 2011]
gerry daclo

Strength:

Easily controlled ride due to genesis geometry
good component selection.
light for a dualie
good price
easy to maintain, no breakdowns whatsoever
not for a 225 pound gorilla due to manitou Black fork

very cheap original headset - changed to a Crane Creek
rear shock-frame link got loose. had to tighten with locktite
banana peel original tires. changed to panaracer tires

i would buy this bike again..i am aware that 5 years is huge
when it comes to bike componetry tech upgrades but i plan in keeping it for a while..

santa cruz heckler, Giant John tomac designed dualie - other garyfisher products, cannondale f500

[Aug 20, 2010]
Jarren Klohr

Strength:

Climbs and handles downhills with ease

Haven't found one yet

I haven't been riding long but I have been riding bikes for my whole life. This is my second full suspension bike and by far the nicest bike that I have ever owned!!! It climbs with ease and when you desend it has no problems responding to your every need.

Ironhorse, GT

[Jul 25, 2010]
Georgemead

Strength:

Awesome ride for me at 5'7" and 160. this bike has performed very well on trail the deore LX and DX rear shift smoothly without fail. The bike is a mountain goat and suspension is smooth once it's adjusted properly.

The V brakes tend to clog up in muddy terrain and the stock seat sucks if you use it. Wish I had disc brakes.

Love the bike, it's the best cross country bike I've personally ever ridden. I couldn't be happier unless I were to change out to disc brakes

Giant, Cannon Profit

[Sep 19, 2008]
kracer

Strength:

Amazing bike for women who like to go fast - light and nimble. Climbs like a mountain goat - the gearing makes it easy to get up anything quickly if you want. Handles downhills smoothly.

Don't let the front shock get too soft and you'll be just fine.

This is the best full-suspension cross-country bike for women out there under $2000. My bike is a 2004 and it's holding up like a champ. Maybe best for smaller riders as the geometry works great for me at 5'4 and 130 lbs.

Specialized, Giant

[Jun 25, 2008]
darrinw2001

Strength:

Light frame, sturdy, good geometry, overall solid frame and components

top tube is could be angled down more by seatpost. handle bars were a little wide for me, cut 1" off each side

This is my 1st LBS type full suspension and I love it. I have ridden others but I like the feel of this bike and the air shocks. I am a larger "Clydesdale" rider of 260lbs and it works great for me. Got a great deal on a used, only ridden 8 times, looked like it was brand new bike!

Giant trance, Specialized enduro

[Mar 10, 2007]
Matthew

Strength:

This review is for 2005 GF Cake 2. I have had the bike for 8 months and I have about 750 miles on it. The bike is very light for a full suspension. I have been very pleased with the Shimano LX shifters and derailers. The Hayes hydraulic brakes are great. The carbon fiber seat stays are cool and have held up to my punishment. The paint has held up real well and Manitou SPV 3-way has functioned really well. I like the simplicity of a single pivot suspension.

I weigh 200 pounds, the Manitou Black Super Air 100mm front shocks could not take the pounding I was dishing out. Pretty much from the start I was bottoming the fork out. Increased pressure did help. I am not a fan of air shocks because of my weight and riding style. The SRAM cassette was horrible. Teeth starting breaking off of the cassette in the first couple hundred miles. I was told this was not covered by the warranty. The stock rear tire only lasted 300 miles. The grips and seat were terrible for the cost of the bike.

I love this bike, however when I purchased it I did not know a lot about full suspension bikes. This bike is an excellent cross country bike. In the stock condition though, it cannot be considered an all mountain full suspension bike, unless you weigh less than 190lbs.

I have had the bike 8 months of which I have ridden around 700 miles. It has held up pretty well. I replaced the front shocks but I should have done that right away. I recently had to replace the cassette because of broken teeth, arrrgh!

Climbing has became very easy on this bike. My climbing skills have impoved immensly and the Manitou 3-way rear shock provides bob free pedaling all of time. Since getting this bike the speed I ride has greatly increased due to its forgiving performance over rough terrain. I don't think there is a bad line when riding this bike, but that was after I replaced the front shock.

I would buy this bike again but I think I would consider buying the Cake with 120mm of travel, although a properly tuned 100mm travel bike works fine.

This is my first full suspension.