Fuji Diamond Pro XC Full Suspension

David   Cross Country Rider [Dec 21, 2006]
Strength:

Very light, great climber!

Stock tires. Pricey (MSRP was $1995.00 USD)

My first full suspension rig was a Trek Fuel 80 which was built like a tank but a bit heavy at 32 pounds. While the Trek was very nimble and sure-footed on the downhills, uphills were a bit of a struggle due to a combination of its weight and excessive bobbing. A year later I moved to a Giant NRS weighing in at 28.5 pounds made climbing both easier and faster. The NRS however never felt as nimble or as solid on swift downhill runs, log jumps, sharp turns or the like. The Fuji Diamond Pro offers the best of both worlds. My 17" version weighs in at just under 28 pounds and is incredible on the climbs. In addition it handles better than either the Trek or the NRS on the technical stuff. I feel more confident and more at one with the bike on drops, stream crossings, log crossings, etc. I should mention that the stock tires on all three bikes left much to be desired. I replaced the stock tires on all three bikes with the far superior Panaracer Smoke/Dart combination. I've also experienced far fewer component related issues such chain suck shock/fork issues with the Fuji Diamond Pro. As a matter of fact other than the occasional flat tire or derailler adjustment I really haven't had any failures at all with the Fuji.

Similar Products Used: Giant NRS, Trek Fuel 80
Ted   Weekend Warrior [Dec 21, 2006]
Strength:

Fuji Altair 2 aluminum frame is strong yet very light, Shimano LX Hydraulic Disc Brakes work great.

Only available in one color. Smallest size is 17."

A nice step up from the Specialized. I was a bit concerned about disc brakes as I have always favored rim brakes until now. The Shimano LX Hydraulic Disc Brakes have made a believer of me. Braking during wet conditions is much improved and dry braking is smoother and more efficient. The lock-out feature on the Manitou Black Elite (120mm travel) fork and the lightweight of this bike make long, steep climbs a breeze. The frame geometry makes for a comfortable but aggressive posture which also aids in climbing as well as overall handling. One disappointment I have with the Diamond Pro is the lack of additional color schemes. Its kind of like the Model T. You can get it in any color you want as long as its black. Also 17" is the smallest size available. I'd love to pick one up for my wife but at 5'3" it would be a bit of a stretch.

Similar Products Used: Specialized FSR XC
Craig   Weekend Warrior [Apr 25, 2006]
Strength:

Well built strong frame, with good components for the price. Mix of Deore complete with hydraulic discs and a very good Fuji saddle. Very neat rear suspension design with the shok mounted on the inside of the frame triangle.

A bit heavy, my bike weighs in at 33lbs. The X fusion rear shock and the Manitau Axel Elite fork do not come with lockout so climbing can be a bit tiring.

I bought the bike because of the good mix of conponents and the ability to easily upgrade to better components at a later time if required. To date I have been racing the bike on a regular basis and have not experienced any major problems. The bike handles well after you have dialed the rear shokc in and is a real pleasure on fast rough downhill sections.(The spokes need to be tightened after the first major race, after that they bet in well)I would be happy to recommend this machine to anyone starting with racing as a good solid platform to hone your mountain biking skills. Good value for money compared to other like products.

Similar Products Used: Giant atx 830, Giant nrs 2
John   Cross Country Rider [Apr 27, 2005]
Strength:

Very light and fast, good for climbs, nice frame, looks nice, coming stock it is well equipped with, disc brakes and hydrolic shock.

none that i can see as of yet, i havent gone all out yet with it. The shifting and gears may need to be upgraded in time.

It is a good bike as i can tell yet, good for racing, If you are getting into racing or more technical or physical XC, then this is a good bike to start out with without having a ton of knowledge in bikes and how to build. I went on a limb with purchasing fuji over specialized, who have taken over the market almost. and so far it has been a very good purchase, I cant say much about the lower models of fuji, i would not put much faith into any. I like the disc brakes and shock set up that was already included in the bike.