Fuji Adventure Comp XC Full Suspension

Kevin   Weekend Warrior [Feb 11, 2006]
Strength:

This is a review for the Fuji Adventure Comp 2005. I got it for a good price ($1000) on closeout. Components work together well, looks to be solidly built, uses Specialized FSR suspension design (that way you don't have to shell out all the cash for the real one =P). Don't be fooled by the "Deore" label on the rear D. and the hydraulic discs. They both do their job very well (although the brakes could be a little bit stronger, but metallic pads should fix that) so no complaints there.

Tire clearance between the chainstays is very minimal (only about 1/3 to 1/2in) and because of this mud gets gunked up on the frame very easily. This can be somewhat remedied by switching to 2.1 or 2.2 tires. Stock ones are 2.3. Fork adjustments are not very effective (atleast not very noticeable). My BB creaks when I ride the 44t chainring up front. Like a previous user said, integrated headset.

If you're looking for good components for the price, I would highly suggest getting this bike. Keep in mind that this is an all mountain bike (suggested by the 5-6in of travel and steep head angle) but maneuvers well. This is by no means going to be as quick as an XC race bike as this is categorized because this bike weights around 34 pounds give or take a few and there is no lockout option on either end of the suspension.

All in all though it's a great buy for that weekend warrior looking to update their ride.

Similar Products Used: Iron Horse Warrior Elite, Trek 4500 (hardtail)
Troy   Downhiller [Oct 12, 2006]
Strength:

Solid frame, withstands some abuse. Nice feel to the bike. Good rims and tires. I have put this bike throught some serious stuff and it still rolls. Rear air shock is great once you get it adjusted properly, good response.

Front fork bottoms out a little easy. This is one noisy machine! Everything creaks. and pops. The components are not top of the line, but work very well.

Bottom line is that this bike is a great entry level bike if you are looking to be more than a weekend warrior! Takes the abuse, of course with the usuall MTB issues. Good feel to the ride, solid bike.

Just one hell of a noisy machine! Creak..... pop.... creak.... squeak.... creak... (get used to it)!

Similar Products Used: GT I-drive 2.0
Diamondback Coil-ex
Paul   Cross Country Rider [Sep 11, 2005]
Strength:

My review is actually for the higher end Adventure Hi. This bike rocks. I've been riding this bike on the trails around Park City, UT for the past couple weeks and find the bike nimble and light in it's feel. It's a great climber and once you dial in the suspension to suit your riding style, the bike performs with suprising stability on technical descents. I've upgraded some of the stock components to give the bike a more XC riding set-up; 130mm Thompson stem, Easton Monkey-lite E70 CNT XC bars, Thompson elite seatpost, San Marco Aspide Ti saddle, Shimano XT rear cassette. The price I paid for the bike included the cost of these upgrades which makes this bike an incredible bargain. Stock the bike comes outfitted with a Manitou Swinger 4-way shock, Manitou Nixon Elite fork, XTR rear derailure, XT front derailure, XT dual control shifters/hydrolic brakes, XT wheels, Continental Gravity Pro tires, Truvativ Holz crank. Wow!

Fuji incorporated a proprietery design for it's headset which limits your choices in after market products. FSA makes this headset, which is reasuring, but one begs to question why Fuji went this route.

You won't find a better performing bike for the price, especially if you're just an average customer without any special pricing connections thru a bicycle shop.

Similar Products Used: Klein Attitude full XTR, Trek Fuel 100 full XTR, Maverick
Ryan   Weekend Warrior [Apr 14, 2005]
Strength:

hydraulic disc brakes,the suspension front and back, also the color brown still looks good plastered with mud. (Floats like a butterfly stings like a bee!!!)

the pedals seems no matter what I do they squeek

This is by far the best ride I've ever ridden all kinds of travel. Brakes will stop you on a dime, for being a dual suspension the bike is really light and will take anything you could possibly throw at it tried and true.

Similar Products Used: 97 giant sedona,00 giant yukon,03 giant iguana (spring collection)
Brant   Cross Country Rider [May 11, 2005]
Strength:

Smooth ride, very durable and handles good! quick to recover in corners. sweet travel. light weight for a freeride

pedals squeeked, (bike vs. bus non-compatable-total loss)

this is the best light weight freeride bike I have riden. very smooth and has good rebound in suspension. After I totalled this bike, I had to get another one! fuji is making quite the come back in bikes! this bike grabs a lot of attention from many riders! not to expensive but not cheep either..(bike retails for $1860)..and it sweet looking too!

Similar Products Used: disco monkey
Arthur Carpenter   Weekend Warrior [Jul 13, 2006]
Strength:

Strong Frame, Good wheels and Tires, FSR Geometry

Fork, components, weight, brand reputation

Great Deal for a all mountain bike. I am really happy with my deal and with the bike. I think Fuji is on its way building a good reputation. I would say go for it with this bike. However, realise it is not a super expensive bike it has its weaknesses.

Similar Products Used: FSR-XC, Trance 3
Steven   [Jan 14, 2006]
Strength:

Value for money. 4 Link rear suspension. Stable Platform Valving in both Shocks. Great for a big rider. Upright riding position easy on back. Shorter reach- saddle to bar

No pedals, but got as part of deal. Lizard skin on the chainstay is must

Actually for Adventure HI. My 240lbs works well with the all mountain 6" of travel. Last bike was not suspended from '92 and had not seen the trail in 10 years. This one has been great for getting back into mountain biking shape. Tubeless tires, Shimano Wheels with funky reverse spokes on the hubs are cool. Ocassionally steep climbs are tough with laid back position, but I love the confidence on descents. Took off a lot of the overly flashy stickers. With the dark anodized frame its a stealthy look-in screamer.

Similar Products Used: Test road specialized, trek & novara. This had best price reduction and fit.
Mitch   Weekend Warrior [May 27, 2006]
Strength:

Frame is plenty tough.

Climbs very well with shock air pressure set on the high side, descends great with shock air pressure on the low side.

Heavy.

Not much crotch clearance (19" frame, I'm 6'0" tall)

Nixon Comp fork bottoms too easy, compression adjuster makes very little difference.

No lockout on shock, have to run air pressure high to prevent bobbing when climbing, then drop it at the top of the hill on the way down.

Hubs aren't rolling like they used to.

--Review is for a 2005 Adventure Comp--

I would call this bike an "All Mountain Bike" because of the relatively slack head angle and long travel suspension. I ride it primarily all mountain, but it does surprisingly well in the XC role, but I wouldn't buy it as a XC bike unless you plan on swapping out the fork and bars and putting a longer steering stem on it.

AM it works great, I don't worry about the bike breaking. Climbs great, goes where you aim it, takes moderate hits well. With the MotoRaptor front tire and the Conti rear tire I can lean it over into the corners without washing out the front, and when I need to brake slide the rear end around it is very predictable.

For climbing I run 150-155psi in the shock, on descents I drop it to 130psi. When I ride XC (rarely on this bike) I run 165-170psi for effiency. For XC I ride a GT I-Drive XC- much lighter and more efficient.

The nixon comp fork is a bit harsh, yet bottoms too easily for my riding style, and I'm only 165#. It really needs to be a combo air/coil fork.

I'm planning on putting a fox RP3 shock on it so I can run lower air pressure for plushness but lock it out for climbing. For the fork I'm looking at putting an All Mountain 1 on it. With a shock change and fork change this bike should be one helluva ride. At $1000 as a starting cost it is a good value as well.