Felt Virtue 1 XC Full Suspension

GENERAL INFORMATION:
SIZES (in)
S (15.5) / M (17.5) / L (19.5) / XL (21.5)

COLOR
Matte Black

WEIGHT
25.68 lbs.

FRAME
Virtue Lightweight Endurance Full Suspension Featuring Equilink, 130mm Travel, 7000 Series DB Aluminum w/Hydroform TT, Carbon Fiber Sub-Frame, Fully Integrated Head Tube

FORK / SHOCK
Fox Talas RLC, 140/120/100mm Travel Adjust, Air Spring, FIT Damping, Rebound & Comp. Adjust, Push Button Lockout; Fox Float RP23 Air, Pro Pedal 3-Position Lever, Rebound Adjust

DRIVETRAIN
Shimano XTR RD, FD, Crankset, Rapid Fire Shifters, Cassette, Dura-Ace Chain

WHEELSET
Mavic CrossMax SL Disc Wheelset

COMPONENTS
Avid Juicy Ultimate Carbon Disc Brakes 180mm FT/160mm RR Rotors, Selle Italia SLR Ti Saddle, Easton Monkeylite Carbon Bar, Easton EA 70 Stem & Seatpost, Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 UST Kevlar Tires, 7075/Scandium/Titanium Seatclamp

Colin Gardiner   Cross Country Rider [May 21, 2016]
Strength:

Fork,shock,XT and frame

Hard to clean, parts getting hard to come by.

I bought my 2008 Virtue 1 from a friend in 2011. I had a 2010 Specialised FSR XC Expert at the time which was good but couldn't turn down the opportunity to buy a $6000 bike for $1500. The biggest difference to me was the XT finish with fantastic brakes and the Revelation fork. I absolutely love the bike and have had hundreds of hours of fun with no major issues. As I read about lots of issues with the rear swing arm, I bought a complete rebuilds kit from Felt Germany 4 years ago but not had to use it. I have fitted a KS Lev dropper post as the Reverb I had does not come in a 27.2mm size and had no issues after 5yrs. Also fitted wider bars and shorter stem to make it a bit more trail oriented. It's a hard bike to keep clean as the rear triangle is complicated with lots of hard to access areas but it's still very smooth. Right before I bought it, the rear hub failed but my friend bought a new set of XT wheels for it and still got the front in bubble wrap. The bike climbs really well and decends ok but not designed for hard riding, it's really a long travel XC and so long as you treat it that way it's awesome.

Eric   [Jun 16, 2014]
Strength:

Climbs well, great geometry, long travel suspension

Bottom bracket, front fork, on the heavy side

I have maybe a dozen rides on this bike. I ride mostly the rocky, rooty single track of NH and Maine. Overall I am real happy with it. The bike is on the heavy side, but it does ride like a much lighter bike. Where this was my first ninner, a rode a bunch to figure out what works best. The transition from my sugar was very easy. Overall this geometry seemed to fit me the best.

Have had some issues. Blew the front fork out on my second ride in a pretty tame rock garden. The bottom bracket has been pulled several times because of just none stop creaking. Seem to get 5 miles before it returns. I don't know enough to know if this is a bad BB, or if it is the frame. Going to replace it and see if it gets any better. I consider these things minor, that just need to be worked through.

The one head scratcher is the dropper post that is included. This is my first dropper and am sold. However there is no remote for this. I have yet come across a scenario where taking a hand off the bars to reach for the lever under the seat is something that makes sense. Maybe I am not a strong rider, or it is not designed for the trails I ride on. Bottom line is it just stupid and in my opinion not safe.

Overall other then the dropper post, I have no real complaints. My local bike shop has been great with the odds and ends that just seem to happen when you ride.

supermtbdude   [Dec 27, 2012]
Strength:

light

everything- this bike sucks if you are looking to do even light freeride or downhill...... ever. The bolts are always falling out or snapping inside the bike and the frame feels like its always just on the edge of snapping in half

Dont ever buy a felt bike

Dan Scott   [Oct 17, 2012]
Strength:

Its a light weight x/c bike with great handeling. I have mine set up stiff front and rear. It drives like a slot car on the trails. Once I diled in my tires it got fun to ride!

Creeks and squeeks. It requires deep cleaning to keep all parts moving

I got this as a year before close out. Wow what a difference a nice bike does for your ridding.

Bryan   All Mountain Rider [Jun 09, 2012]
Strength:

I am on a 19.5 (Large) frame and I am about 6'1 and 160lbs. I have been on this bike for about a year now and I have it set up for "All Mountain" use. So it's a bit slack in feel. I have found that this is a solid bike. It is fast up on climbs, and descends like it has a parachute. The key to this frame is your set up. It reacts to minor changes in rear shock pressure, fork pressure, tire pressure etc.. And let me tell you, tires make this bike! Choose wisely! Once you get a feel for it you will keep up with any high dollar bike. Hard tails included. Felt has several other frame sets with the Equilink configuration. Try a few models at your LBS first to find a geometry that fits well. Overall, I would recommend this frame to anyone.

Eats rear bearings like a champ! Noisy suspension if you don't clean it. You have to clean it... I mean C.L.E.A.N. it, often.

Overall the bike is fantastic, and I have no complaints. Felt has been even better in assisting with bearing replacements, and I have had a great experience with the frame-set.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Jekyll, Trek Fuel, Giant Reign, Santa Cruz Bullit, Cannondale Prophet, Niner Hard tail, Cannondale Flash 29
davidof   Cross Country Rider [Oct 19, 2011]
Strength:

I have the 2010 model (note this is the same level as the 2009 Virtue 4), it has a great black and white design and superb Felt frame and I really like the Equilink setup. weight at around 30lbs is good.

Shimano hubs don't even seem to be Deore spec.
Wheels needed some truing from new.
Saddle and Saddle Clamb (replaced with a great BBB clamp from Bike24.de ) and Sella Italia saddle.

Great fully suspended bike for the price. No bob when climbing which is great compared to my old Raleigh.

Similar Products Used: I've moved over from a hardtail Raleigh Dynatech (which dates from 1989)
Marty   Cross Country Rider [Jun 27, 2011]
Strength:

I loved climbing on this bike and compared to my hard tail the down hill was amazing. I dropped in of of some crazy high drop (for me 3-4 feet) sideways, and the bike seemed to self right itself when I landed.

Cleaning the link is a bit of an issue n the muddy NW.

Fantastic all around mountain bike.

Similar Products Used: None
jct522   Cross Country Rider [Mar 25, 2011]
Strength:

This bike has a great feel on the trail. The Equilink allows it to climb hills really well and with the right adjustment on the suspension it just hammers through really rocky terrain. I love the frame even though it won't fit on my bike rack, but its a very well built bike and very well priced for someone who doesn't need to spend thousands on a professional bike.

The seat is pretty rough but after a bunch of rides you get used to it. Felt did go pretty crazy on the logos but I think it looks pretty sharp. I have the black/white colored frame and its pretty sick looking.

I got introduced to Felt bikes last year by a friend who has a Virtue 2 and I have been impressed. The quality is rock solid. I look forward to riding that bike even more every time i get on it.

joeworrall   Cross Country Rider [Dec 09, 2010]
Strength:

duralink rear suspension design, geometry/handling, quality component group for the price

stock grips, tires, seat and Rock Shox front fork. The screws on the stock seatpost stripped within weeks after purchase. The bottom bracket is a bit low thru rock gardens... And it has developed some chain slap, but what bike that's been ridden hard doesn't?

bought this as the 2009 models were being cleared out to make way for the 2010's. Huge improvement over my old Diamondback: better shifting and handling really improved my confidence on the technical trails. Stock front fork and tires have to go if you expect to ride on technical trails. Felt is better known for their road bikes, but I would buy another Virtue if I could get one for this price!