Ellsworth Truth XC Full Suspension

• Rear Travel: 4 in.
  • Shock Options: Air: Fox AVA R ProPedal, CC Cloud 9, 5th Element Coil: Romic D, Romic Ti Exc
  • Fork Travel: Recommended 80-105mm

• User Reviews (95)

12hr   [Aug 09, 2012]
    Strength:

suspension, handling, climbing, nimble on technical,

lateral stiffness (could be the wheels). Cracked seat tube in 4th season. Only a 2 year warrenty

No one loves this bike as much as me. But, a cracked seat tube in the 4th season has me shopping for a frame with a lifetime warrenty. For the price; Ellsworth must extend a lifetime warrenty on the frame. I cannot justify another $2500 frame that could leave me stranded in the middle of another bike season.
    The 4-bar suspension, though, is the only one I'll ever ride - thanks to the Ellsworth design

dirtdar   Cross Country Rider [Feb 15, 2012]
    Strength:

Responsive, yet smooth. Almost plush

Rear chain stay creacked annoyingly and then cracked after a couple years. But Ellsworth replaced and had good customer service. (Thanks to staff at extension x208, by the way)

A great XC bike. Also a fun tool to bounce throug some minor technical areas too. No regrets.

DD Dano   Cross Country Rider [Feb 28, 2011]
    Strength:

Lite, fast, climbs unbelievably

None yet

Ridden for 5 years and not a single problem, this bike is great and has withstood my 200+lbs
    Best bike ever owned!

Similar Products Used: Trek, Giant,
    Bruce   Cross Country Rider [Sep 26, 2010]
    Strength:

Been riding a Truth for over 10 years. It is certainly one of the top(3) XC Bikes ever made. This bike is built smart engineering, uses the highest quality materials and rides like it too. Technical climbing and fast single track is were it excels. Also Ellsworth does an exceptional job with warranty issues and customer service. The customer service and warranty department are accessible, very fair, and quick to solve any problems that you might have.

A bit pricey but you get what you pay for. If you want the best and a company to stands behind it, go with Ellsworth and get a Truth.

Similar Products Used: Canonndale, Voodoo
    eddie kryk   Weekend Warrior [Oct 18, 2009]
    Strength:

Quality frame Point and shoot handling Can be built up to a
    lightweight bike if desired

Stand over height but that has been changed for 2010

I have an 09 racer x that is a helluva bike in its own right The Ellsworth is a bit quicker in tight singletrack
    and climbs as well as the Titus The Ellie loves to go fast
    and is pretty stable at speed I have just ordered a 2010 Truth with full Xtr so after some miles I will review that
    bike

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Superlite Ventana El Feugo Titus Racer X
    semalmberg   Cross Country Rider [Apr 17, 2009]
    Strength:

Great customer service in my opinion. Great all around bike. Can be configured as a decent trail bike OR a XC racer just by swapping wheels/tires. Very smooth, efficient suspension. Never used lockout on the rear - no need, especially with pro-pedal.

Haven't found one yet. Great bike for it's intended purpose.

My warranty story: This is my 2nd Truth frame, which I just got replaced. My 2003 frame broke low down on the seat-stay. In 2003 Ellsworth still had a lifetime warranty. They replaced it with a 2009 model (front triangle) which has seen MUCH evolution since 2003, all for the better ... higher BB, angles a smidge relaxed, more standover, longer wheelbase. The whole ordeal, from the time I sent in my broken frame until I received the new frame from Ellsworth, took all of 10 DAYS!!! I couldn't believe it! I got great personalized service from everyone I dealt with at Ellsworth AND Wrench Science. This is a great all around bike that does almost everything well at ~25 lbs. It's not a hard-core trail bike so don't expect it to be. I highly recommend this bike, and based on my experience it seems their customer service is much improved over some of the other posters here.

Similar Products Used: Diamond Back, Univega, Raleigh
    michael9218   Cross Country Rider [Mar 21, 2009]
    Strength:

Incredible riding XC bike. Does everything well. Light and nimble, soaks up bumps and climbs like a hardtail. Very nimble.

I've been riding this bike for 5 years with no issue. I couldn't be more satisfied with this frame. The bike is an absolute joy to ride. Hopefully I won't have an issue with the frame strength. If it does, I'll replace with another. This frame is too good to replace.

Similar Products Used: Replaced a Schwinn Homegrown Factory Team hardtail.
    jonstoops   Weekend Warrior [Mar 09, 2009]
    Strength:

Light, fast, great geometry, about everything you can think of...

none yet.

Best bike I've ever owned. I'm a faster and more capable rider on this bike.

Similar Products Used: Giant NRS 1, Specialized Epic
    Simon   Weekend Warrior [Feb 07, 2009]
    Strength:

The way it climbs, the way it descends, the way it makes me look like a better rider!

None yet

I was worried when I read these reviews just after having taken delivery of the frame. Thought I was going to have a broken bike and bad warranty issues, but six months of lugging my 95kg on Stromlo, Majura etc on average 3 times per week and not one issue, Nothing.

The bike makes me look good, and is by far the best dually I've ever owned. I couldn't do last years 24 hr, and a fast riding mate broke his bike right at the start. he took the Truth out and thumped out fast laps. On an unfamiliar bike.

I don't jump or do drops, and I chose a bike that didn't need to meet those requirements. maybe that is why it is still running sweet.

Friend with an Evolve loves his and has zero issues with it, and he does like a bit of air under him, and has had the bike down the world class downhill course.

I'd like to say that perhaps skill is the missing ingredient, but then I have very little and my bike is fine.

Similar Products Used: Fisher Cake, Fisher Hi Fi, various hardtails and my Surly 1x
    cleptich   Cross Country Rider [Sep 19, 2008]
    Strength:

Smooth suspension that works. Sealed Bearings last forever and require no maintenance.

Broke the frame back in 2004 (after four years). The frame cracked on the seat tube below the gusset. Factory and LBS (Finish Line Pro Bike Shop) worked together to resolve the problem.

Back in 2000 when I was researching a bike that worked and wasn't someone's (any other brand) experiment. The Truth stood out with the four bar linkage and Horst Link. Now look at the industry, everyone has some sort of copy.

This is a race bike meant to be light and fast. Not heavy and bomb proof. If you treat it right it will last some time.

It is unfortunate what I read about the customer service at Ellsworth. I haven't had the same experience. Maybe Ellsworth should improve and maybe customers need to remember that customer service reps are people too.

See you on the trail.

Similar Products Used: Klein Attitude circa 1990.