Diamondback XSL XC Full Suspension

Rhino   Cross Country Rider [May 09, 2011]
Strength:

If you could only say one word about this bike, that word would be durability. I have punished this bike and the frame has stood up very well. It's a bit hefty, but the weight is actually distributed pretty well and the bike is overall pretty responsive, especially if you're a bigger rider (6'2"/185 lbs.). Rear shock is easily adjustable and a great fit for this bike.

Like I said, it's a bit on the weighty side so climbs can be a little more challenging and the added weight on the downhill forces you alter your normal braking tension and rider position is a little further back that usual (or maybe that's just me). Stock front derailleur is weak.

Overall great value for the money. Highly recommened if you wipe a lot like I do. Highly recommended for new riders, especially if you're already in pretty good conditioning. When you can, swap out the front derailleur and that'll save you some headache. I've taken this thing off some drops that have blown out rear air shocks (my buddy went off right behind me and then headed home) and this thing takes it like a champ and keeps on rollin'. Keep it dry! It will squeak worst than any other bike I've ever heard if you don't. Well done Diamondback.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rock Hopper and Stump Jumper
Bryan   Cross Country Rider [Mar 27, 2004]
Strength:

27 speeds. Front and rear suspension is easy to adjust. Velociraptor tires with Presta valves grip good in soft sand and dirt. I like the way the grip pattern is set up differenly on the front and rear tire.

May be too weighty for some riders. Shifting seems like it could be smoother. Color seems more orange than the red shown in the pictures. Space is tight for some water bottles.

The bike came in a day earlier than expected, at Ernie's Cycle Shop. Kudos to Bruce. He was really good at installing the extras and explaining things about the bike.
While riding the bike the suspension seems to compensate for the wieght (approx. 36lb.) My other bike felt heavier at this weight without the rear suspension. I may be looking for lighter parts at some point.
The shift components are Shimano Deore shifters and Alivio deraileur. The chain skips more often then I'd like. Maybe it just needs to be retuned. I may be upgrading the shift components.
Red color has more orange in it than I thought. Still a good color, and it comes with clear coat.
I'd give it a higher value rating if the shifting was smoother and the weight could be brought down. This bike may be better for novises like myself, rather than seasoned riders. Overall, I think this is a great bike with some good potential, especially for under a grand.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn Highplains. (Not bad in its day.) Next Revolution with front fork and seat post suspension. (Department store variety) :(
Crxman   Cross Country Rider [Jul 06, 2005]
Strength:

Great value, nice orange/red paintjob, strong frame

Really nothing, maybe it cold be a little lighter,,,

Well I started out as a hiker and sort of felt like trying something new. So MTB was the natural thing to pick,,
Started reading all I could about bikes, tried alot of bikes in different bike stores. The best value and fit I found in the XSL. Fills all the needs for a XC bike that I need, the componants are not top of the line but works really well, even the Truvative 5D crank is still not creaking or coming apart. And the Deore is doing it´s job like a champ. I really don´t see why Diamondback seems to be ignored on most MTB forums and Mtb magazines.
Great product.

Similar Products Used: Tested alot of different bikes 500$-2000$,this is my first MTB.
Andy Dempsey   Cross Country Rider [May 22, 2005]
Strength:

Tires,Saddle,Headset,front and rear suspension

Front derailleur is junk,a little bit heavier than some others i checked out.

Great value for money, taken all i can throw at it so far.
Haven't taken it off any big jumps, but handles everything else really well.
Extra weight seems to help the front end staying down when climbing.
Graet bike for a starter and weekender.

Similar Products Used: Gaint Warp,Kona
desi pelletier   Cross Country Rider [May 11, 2005]
Strength:

very good at climbing steep hills very responsive to rider input component choice for 2002 was outstanding titec stem hellbent bar wtb speedmaster rims wtb speed v saddel wtb primal raptor tires koski v brakes deore hollowtec crank diamondback nailed it that year awsome diamondback kicks ass

diamond back has got to be the best value for the money in the world of bikes it has specialized fsr suspension and it works great wow i am totally amazed good job diamondback keep up the good work you guys are rock solid