Diamondback XSL Comp XC Full Suspension

Will   Cross Country Rider [Aug 09, 2007]
Strength:

Decent value for the price. Not a bad beginner full suspension.

I've had mine for two seasons now and three days ago while riding some local trails the lower swing arm snapped. I had been treating it as more of an All Mountain bike than strictly cross country but I still think the frame shouldn't break. The rear shock is stock and useless.

If all you can afford is a biker under $700, it'll do. But I wish I had just saved my money and gone with a better bike.

Similar Products Used: Walmart Special and 90's rigid Schwinn rock hopper (whose frame is still intact)
matthew   Weekend Warrior [Mar 16, 2006]
Strength:

will go over anything in it way and soaks up the bumps. Rear air shock is what finally sold me

Diamondback lists this bike as haveing a deore front deralluir for the 05 but comes with the even cheeper alivio and has a really hard seat. Other than that its not bad

This bike is the best I have ever owned and being all black its a looker too. Once u put some upgrades on it it goes for a good bike to a great one. This bike has been handling 5 and 6 foot drops from the day I owned it and still has NO problems. What more can you ask for?

Similar Products Used: biamondback coil ex(05 and 06), 04 mongoose wing comp
Rolando Espino   Weekend Warrior [Feb 07, 2006]
Strength:

It looks cool,quality components,strong

none!

The bike is very good for its price and it is very strong

Similar Products Used: voodoo Canzo Al,trek 4300
mike   Weekend Warrior [Oct 03, 2006]
Strength:

hayes disc brakes, shimano deore drivetrain with rapid shifters, alex rim are tough and stay true, manitou splice 130 mm,fork, black is awesome color. great frame design easy to upgrade. good climber and floats over roots, logs, and travels thru mud with ease

spinner sus air shock which cannot be rebuilt no lock out on fork some pinch flats broken chain

2005 xsl comp wanted a full suspension. i did my reaseach and discover that the frame design is based on the specialized fsr 4.5 -5 in travel. i also found that there are plenty of good deals on ebay then i had a LBS put mine together,highly recomemded. in short, a go anywhere 2 to 3 hour trail ride reliable bike which is way better than my harttail. i replaced the rear shock and now have very little petal bob and bike is amazing and at the price i paid an amazing deal compared to other brands. the bike is great off trail bike but not a freeride or downhill or race bike. however it is lots and lots of fun. recommended for weekend warriors looking for full suspension and nice components

Similar Products Used: stock k2 hardtail still have and is very good bike
Adam   Weekend Warrior [Feb 24, 2007]
Strength:

frame, rims, durability

Weight, suspension,

I am dissapointed by this bike, the frame seems indestructable causing a much higher weight. The rear shock is really just a spring, and the suspension has a lot of side to side play. The front is real but not a high quality shock. Their are some decent components on this bike, the rims are durable the brakes are good but not much better than v brakes so dont be sold on that as I was. This bike gets buyers because of name brand components, the components themselves are low end. I wish I would have spent more around $1200 for a better quality bike overall. Buy this used if You only have $400. If You want a better overall bike expect to pay close to a thousand for a hardtail and $1200+ for a full suspension.

Similar Products Used: much cheaper full suspension bikes
Jonathan   Weekend Warrior [Jun 26, 2006]
Strength:

Good bang for your buck. I can't complain about the price for which I paid for it, especially with all the components. I wanted to get a full suspension bike but not have to spend over $1000. Front shocks work great and I enjoy the 130mm travel. Handles great and soaks up the bumps well.

Well I had only had the bike for about two months and less than 4 rides when the Spinner rear air shock would not hold air for over 10 mins. So tried to get it replaced under warranty. To find out the warranty is void if you buy the bike off the internet or from a non-authorized dealer. Both of which I did. So thought I was screwed. Called/E-mailed Spinner multiple times got no where. So went out and bought a Fox Ava shock. Which of course works great. As of now Spinner said they will send me a new shock but they are currently out of my size. I will not hold my breath.
The Shimano Deore derailers are okay but I am always adjusting them.
The Manitou Splice Comp has no adjustment features although if you buy it aftermark then it comes with the ability to make adjustments
Little on the heavy side

If you want to a FS w/out spending a ton of money then this is the bike for you. Frame is decent and you can upgrade as you see fit. Would from the start get rid of the rear shcok, it's okay but will Fox Shocks are so much better. Still enjoying the ride and plan on riding this one for awhile.

Similar Products Used: hardtails - Diamondback, GT, Ironhorse
FS - Ironhorse, GT, Trek
Gator Ray   Weekend Warrior [Mar 23, 2004]
Strength:

Solid Frame, Burly welds, HD dropouts

for the lower price, the bike rides great!!!! my bro has a $1500 specialized and I can't really tell that much of a difference in the rides, especially when hitting some gaps!

Similar Products Used: mongoose store bike
Seth Diehl   Weekend Warrior [Feb 20, 2005]
Strength:

Bike handles great and looks cool. Bike can take a beating, I crashed at 30 mph once, and did way more damage to myself than the bike, the bike had one scuff on the grip! Solid factory drivetrain. Factory tires are pretty good and sound cool when accelerating. The price! Got mine for $500 as a last year model since the 2005's just came out. Regular price for this bike is about $800.00. And with about $1,000.00 extra in upgrades this bike is the shiznit.

Factory crank is sound but the bottom of the line Truvativ. Front fork is a POS (I have a Manitou Skareb Super on its way to me in a few days). Bike is a little on the heavy side at 33 lbs when we weighed it at the store. I hope to get mine down to 28 lbs with upgrades. Factory seat sucks, but then again that is every bike for you. Alivio is a cheap front der, ditch that too.

Great bike for the price. I chose the cheaper of the XSL line so I could upgrade it how I wanted. The XSL Elite has decent components but it sells for 1,600 to 1,800. For that price I would rather upgrade the cheaper model with even nicer parts. This bike handles great and the factory drivetrain is solid, I am just one of those people who likes to get even nicer stuff. The factory Deore setup did great on its own. The dark gun metal gray color of the bike looks good too. The pictures make it look like it is bright silver, but it is not. The bike climbs well even though it is a little heavy. I opted for more sticky tires so I could climb really steep mountains. The bike has held up well so far and I am having a blast modifying it as I go. I have always loved Diamondbacks, even though a lot of people do not buy them. This one I recommend, just go out and buy a sweet fork afterwords to fully enjoy it! I recommend this bike for people who love to offroad and climb mountains. If you are into downhilling, then I would not feel confident on this bike. Some easy to moderate downhill would be ok, and the bike feels good at speed downhill on roads, but not on rocks or rough terrain. But for climbing steep mountains with lots of crap in your way, I love it. 5 flamin turds all the way.

Similar Products Used: Just store bought crap like Huffy that is dirt cheap and not worth upgrading.
Brian Eddy   Downhiller [Apr 02, 2004]
Strength:

Very Light and strong frame, Adjustable rear shock geometry, comfortablity.

None!

This bike is the bomb and once I get some true perfomance parts on it, it will be ready to tear some stuff up! This is a great high performance bike for any one looking to do some great off roading or single track out of the box.

Similar Products Used: Highly Modified and Customized Royce Union!
Walter Hart   Downhiller [Jul 28, 2004]
Strength:

light, strong, quality components,disk brakes, good wheels.

rear shock retaining bolt is wimpy. us a grade 8. the crankset, square taper bottom bracket

The best for your buck, i love this bike! It takes all I throw at it! I'm not what you call a gentile rider and this thing just keeps on going. If you like rough fire roads or single track this is the bike for you. It's not much of a downhill bike, stock that is, a longer travel fork and rear shock would do the trick.