Diamondback Sortie Black XC Full Suspension

Weapons grade aluminum Sortie 5" trail frame w/ knuckle box suspension platform, taper head tube, 142X12mm thru axle drop outs, Fox 32 Float RLC Fit 140mm fork, taper 15QR, Fox Float RP23 XV rear shock w/Kashima coat, Shimano XTR Dyna-Sys trail triple crankset, XTR Shadow Plus rear derailleur, Easton EA90XC wheelset and Shimano XTR hydraulic disc brakes.

Joe Hart   [Apr 16, 2013]
Strength:

5" of travel, great components, and great price!!!

Cant find any yet.....I am being honest, I have had it about a month and I am still looking for something I dont like.

This bike is a beast going up and coming down! with 5" of travel there isnt much it cant handle. Components are excellant, Fox CTD rear shock and Fox CTD fork. I ride a lot of Northern California trails and I love this bike. Diamondback gets a bad name for its lower end bikes but this is a different beast, it has many of my friends who ride name brand bikes thinking twice.

pfox90   Cross Country Rider [Jun 20, 2012]
Strength:

Knucklebox susp. is a great design, great climber w/ no bob, VERY plush on the descents.

The weight- knucklebox susp. is a heavier design than others, many stock parts are heavy including crank, wheelset, and tires.

The DB sortie is a great value in it's price class compared to similarly equipped bikes, they offer a good value for the money. The stock parts that came on it I really am not too fond of, mine is the '11 model and came with deore which doesn't shift crisply IMO. After swapping out the drivetrain with SRAM, changing the tires and crankset it takes the weight down to a great all around trail bike. The knucklebox susp. works just as the research says it does with little to no bob on climbing, with a nice propedal feature as well as the 3 settings. The downhills are confident inspiring with it soaking up everything.

All in all it is a great value for the money and I would highly recommend getting one. After a few minor upgrades to the rotational weight, this bike is a great all arounder.

Trey   [May 07, 2012]
Strength:

2012 model front and rear suspension is air pressure sprung with adjustable hydraulic damping, easy for biker to tune to the trail. Also the propedal function on the rear has three settings for a firmer or softer ride depending on the trail. Hydraulic disc brakes front and rear grab great with a one finger pull. The knuckle box suspension setup is nice and provides little to no bob on the trails. The weight is also much little than I expected, and makes hill climbing smooth combined with the low gearing. Bike also came with a pump for the shock, sag gauge and torx wrenches.

I have found none to date.

Great deal, compare components to other trek fuel ex and kona tanuki bikes and you will see the value in this bike. I had a KHS hardtail for years before this and made the transition the full suspension, wow what a difference.

leon   Weekend Warrior [Apr 08, 2012]
Strength:

I love the DB sortie 1 bike it handles great is not too heavy climbs well good gruppo of parts chain line was ok etc im an ex bike mechanic and can say it came ready to ride out of the box good tires spokes tensioned cables pre stretched etc

never had any complaints until today it felt funny and seemed to be squatting I then noticed the top tube has a vertical crack near the weld on the thickest part of the frame..., t is almost all the way thru and this bike is done now and never to be ridden again .. perhaps weapons grade aluminum is too hard ?? its not my firts bike and it was used gently

dont know what to say ..thought it was a lifetime bike ! took my chances buying it online and the seller is no longer active on ebay so am prob sheite out of luck for warranty ..my bad ...just wondering if im the only one ?

Similar Products Used: specialized ,thompson , rocky mountian , proctor, etc
derrick424   Weekend Warrior [Sep 28, 2011]
Strength:

Very smooth ride and great shifting and stopping power. Lightweight, handles very well, great climbing ability as well as amazing descending ability.

The front Tora 289 forks don't have a lot of adjust-ability, but can be upgraded. Other than that None!

This is a Great bike!!! I got it on sale at Performance Bicycle in Cary, NC. The Knuckle Box Technology is great, it's like you don't ever bottom the shock out. The shifter were a little different than what I'm use to but with a little getting use to they are great. Overall if you looking for a great heavy duty XC bike or All-Mountain with 5" of travel this is the bike for you.

Similar Products Used: I raced and rode Trek 4500 HT, shifts gears about the same but much better ride.
neeeko   Weekend Warrior [Apr 23, 2011]
Strength:

Upgradeable, Strong, Light/Responsive, Great Deal!

It was fine when stock but improved tremendously when I upgraded just about everything. Dont know if thats a weakness.

Excellent bike for whatever you ride with exception of downhill. I commute ten miles to work daily on pavement and hit up my local rocky trails at least 3 times a week. Its fast and rides as smooth as my Caddy. My Sortie has got me through jumps, drops, and plenty of tumbles. I purchased it because i got a great deal and because its got the same frame as the Sortie Black, which costs over $5000!! Meaning I can upgrade allday and not be asking myself if its worth it or not. If you can get a previous year model discounted like I did, you'll have a permanent grin like i do.

Similar Products Used: n/a
Box Rod   Cross Country Rider [Dec 24, 2010]
Strength:

Fox Fork, Knucklebox/Fox Rear suspension, Sram X-9 Group, Easton EA50 group (Stem, Seatpost, Handlebars), Great Frame, Carves up Singletrack, Climbs really well.

Slight flex in the rear triangle.

I love this bike! I have yet to find any trail that I can't have a blast on! With 5" of smooth efficient suspension travel you would think it may not climb well but this bike goes up anything. With the wheel swap and UST tires the bike weighs in at just under 27 lbs. so I can spend a lot of time on this bike.

The fox fork and RP23 are smmoth and easy to setup. I'm a 200lbs. rider and I run the RP23 with ProPedal on 1 with 200psi and still get nice low speed bump handling and have yet to bottom it out.

The Sram X-9 Shifters/Rear der. work fast and smooth, Juicy 5 brakes are great, Truvativ cranks and BB have yet to let me down.

This is a great Cross Country bike that will tear it up and still be able to handle some good drops and jumps. I have put a years worth of riding on this bike with only minor maint. so its my GO TO bike for whatever I ride.

My only issue and I am only aware of it when my friend tells me about it while riding behind me is the slight flex in the rear triangle. But my Sortie is a 2009 model and that has been changed on the 2010 and 2011 frames, thus the reason for my extensive search for one of those frames so I can change everything over and keep tearing it up on a Diamondback Sortie!!

Similar Products Used: Trek Fuel EX-8, Felt Redemtion 3
captnfantastic   Cross Country Rider [Nov 14, 2010]
Strength:

Solid parts. Knucklebox suspension is very plush and works great. The fox fork and the rp2 rear shock is a solid combo that do not take much maintenance. Frame looks sweet, sexy lines.

tires are only size 2.0 and the rear triangle won't clear a larger tire. Suspension pivots need to be checked every few rides mine loosen every 30 hours or so.

It's a great bike. I got a good deal on it from a guy who was too tall for it. I ride it a couple times a week to supplement my cyclocross and road bike training. I ride hard and it is a solid platform. The rear knucklebox suspension is one of the most plush smooth rear suspensions i've every ridden. For the price I payed I couldn't ask for a better setup. If you get a chance to get one jump on it.

Similar Products Used: yeti. GT. Gary Fisher. Intense. Specialized.
shuperstar   Cross Country Rider [Jul 17, 2010]
Strength:

Good components. Sweet suspension once its setup for your style of riding.

Not a fan of the stock pedals but no biggie. Seems a little on the heavy side but it shouldn't stop you from checking this bike out.

Great bike. I got a killer deal and decided to buy it. Diamondback did a really good job on this bike. Once the suspension is setup correctly to your weight and you find what you like on the rebound, its an awesome ride. I recommend this bike to riders intermediate to advanced. The frame is nice and solid (I'm 6 foot, 200 lbs). It's a sick bike!