Diamondback Recoil XC Full Suspension

The Recoil isThe perfect bike forThoseThinking of getting into aggressive mountain biking but don’t wantTo dropThousands of dollars quite yet.The foundation ofThe recoil isThe 6061T6 aluminum frame withThe 4”Tuff Shock Coil rear shock.The front end is supported byThe Suntour XCT 100mm fork with preload adjust.This allows youTo dial inThe forkTo your specific riding needs.TheShimano drivetrain is hardy and reliable. Whether you are just getting back into cycling or stepping upTo

Jeff Hiatt   All Mountain Rider [Oct 28, 2015]
Strength:

I purchased the 2014 Recoil Comp for my first "real" mountain bike, and wasn't disappointed. I've upgraded the tires, brakes, and a couple of other things, but for something to learn on it's pretty great. Even when I purchase my Specialized Camber Comp 29 next spring, the Recoil Comp will still be around for a backup or "buddy bike".

Cheap SR Suntour fork, and mediocre drivetrain......but what do you expect for a full suspension under $1200?

Great beginner bike to get you started in mountain biking. Decent parts, but easily upgradeable to a fairly bad ass bike.

Billy whizz   [Sep 09, 2014]
Strength:

Feels comfy and put it on the trails with an uplift it's fantastic value for money. Tyres are good and it's a good starter bike.

Really heavy and the geometry is wrong for the uphills. The wheels are weak and heavy.

All in all not bad had it a year and it got be back into riding. Took it on an uplift weekend and to lift it onto the uplift was hard.
But it rode blues and red runs really well. I had a great weekend on it and gave it a hammering with no issues.
But when it comes to xc and having to climb long hills it is not good at all and you will have to play catch up. Then your legs are so tired it takes some of the enjoyment out of it. But I've had a good year with it but now I'm going back to hardtail to get more for my money and a lot lighter. I would recomend spending a bit more but on the plus I've got fitter and stronger in the less much faster.

cole   Downhiller [Jun 12, 2014]
Strength:

Great parts
1.rockshox tora 289 u-turn 85-130mm travel

1. Tires included wear down fast
2.seat can become irritating after awhile
3. Has 5mm qr axles ):
4.chain sometimes completely misses gears and falls off on big drops
5. Has a 1 1/8 head tube which makes most high end forks obselete due to them being 1 1/8 to 1.5 for stiffness

Great bike overall. Just a little heavy and the small axles arent very strong. Dont get me wrong ive done 13 ft drops and rolled away fine but on the more demanding drops the chain likes to drop itself /: i know it says xc bike but it could qualify for enduro or light freeride events and perform well. The reat shock included is a 7.5x2.0 and for more travel you can upgrade to a 7.5x2.25 rear . Also bike still sits really nicely with a 180mm fork on it . Now if you were to uprgade the rear to a 7.5x2.25 it would also be in ratio for a 180mm fork or possibly a 200mm fork but thats pushing the envelope. This bike has light dh possibilities and is incredibily strong so overall i still recommend it to all.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale gemini
jimmy   [May 09, 2014]
Strength:

Greatest bike I have ever had. It has the best brakes and components ever. Great price too. No other bike comes this close for great value and high end type with low end price.

NONE!

Great bike. Get it.

neil rico   [Apr 07, 2014]
Strength:

brakes - fair enough
height - fair enough

rear shock

after 4 months of using the bike with 1 trail ride on the side and im just using it going to the office everyday i see a hairline crack at the swing arm and the other problem is the bike shop never gives me a refound.

Cheesecakeslash   [Nov 13, 2013]
Strength:

Softer suspension (coming from a hard tail)
Ok brakes
29er wheels

frequent breakages
heavier then a very fat cat

When I first got this bike it was alright it ate bumps and small jumps the same. after a little while I snapped the derailleur hanger right off when I hit a small jump not bad not bad fixable. Next thing I know I put a crack in the swing arm and got a refund this bike is a blast while it lasts c: If you want to get it get it! but be careful as if your skill level is beyond then you WILL break it.

Flyingbryan   Weekend Warrior [Jun 25, 2013]
Strength:

2013 Recoil Comp
Great price for what you get. Remote front shock lockout. Very comfortable for both the uphill and trail descents. No need for rear lockout due to great design that does not soak up any extra energy. And to top it off this is a great looking bike.

2013 Recoil Comp
No water bottle location. But not sure anyone does that these days.
Remote front shock lockout is a little far from grip and no way to remove the bracket to put it on the other side without taking the grip and everything else off first.
Might be just me but seems that the front and rear shifter work opposite as far as shifting up or down.

2013 Recoil Comp / Medium

At 47 and having a very old hard tail mountain bike and looking to get excited to get back into riding and this bike has done just that for me.

I was not aware that this model did not have hydraulic brakes but rather cable disk brakes and also this model does not come with a rear shock lockout (both coming on the next model up). But after taking it out I found these breaks did a great job of stopping to the point I am just as happy with the cable disk breaks. And the rear shock lockout is not even needed because of the suspension design. I found even if I had the lockout on the rear I would not use it.

Ok about the bike, I found it to be not to heavy on the climb and the traction is great with just enough suspension in the rear to keep the tire to the ground but not soak up any energy (Who needs a rear lockout with great designs like this). The remote front shock lockout is very nice but it could have been a little closer to the grip. I wanted to move the remote lockout to the left side but the bracket has to slide off the bar so the grip would have to come off both sides so I will just live with it on the right.

Shifting is very smooth but I find it confusing that when pushing one shifter (example front or rear) the gear goes up making it harder to shift, wile pushing the other in the same way does just the opposite. This may be just the way it is on this kind of shifter but I found myself mis-shifting a number of times.

Breaks did not make any noise and worked great but I only have a couple rides to date on them.

I liked the seat an handle bars are perfect for me at 5'10" on a medium bike.

I love this bike and very happy with buying it. I do recommend buying this for anyone looking for this level of bike.

kurt   Cross Country Rider [Nov 14, 2012]
Strength:

Good price and good components

Poor frame design. Heavy.

Bought this bike for my son but after one year cracks developed in swing arm at rear welds. Diamondback's service was absolutely terrible. They would not replace the part and couldn't even sell me a new one. Bike has been out of commission for over 6 months with no resolution in sight. My advice- stay away from diamondback.

Similar Products Used: Marin novato hardtail
Eric   [Sep 22, 2012]
Strength:

Great value for what you were getting. looked solid. and ascended down the hills great.

After about 7 months of loving this bike THE FRAME SNAPPED IN HALF! Im now returning this thing and getting my money back :(

Overall, bad bike, the components need upgrading, the shock sucks, and the frame snaps after going over a small bump down hill... Save your money and get a solid bike

Jake   [Sep 20, 2012]
Strength:

Greatly Priced for this quality of bike. Very Solid, rock shox, love the remote lock-out

None that I can see so far. possibly weight, but not at all bad

Excellent Bike so far. Great for Price. Very good feel to it. I've taken it on several Cross country rides and it's held up very well. Havn't taken any spills yet though. I've even gone down a Downhill trail and No Problem! Weight isn't optimal for climbing but the lock-out helps greatly