Diamondback Coil XC Full Suspension

RAP   Downhiller [Apr 28, 2011]
Strength:

CHEAP, NICE GOOD LOOKING, NOT TO HEAVY, NICE BREAKS , LOVE THE SUSPENTION. PERFECT BEGINNERS BIKE

NONE

I LOVE MY BIKE REALLY SATSFACT WITH IT

Similar Products Used: TRECK ,
supercellxw   Weekend Warrior [Apr 14, 2010]
Strength:

When it actually was working.... I liked the bike in general.

The frame behind the back shock bent so it is not usable after the first year.

When it actually worked after i took it in like 5 times to dicks to get repairs, like to fix the wobbly rims, brakes and such, it worked great till i went over a 1 foot jump over and over. The stinking frame bent I weighed 200 pounds at the time, my nxt bike will not be a diamondback. Watch out for their product.

Similar Products Used: walmart/garage sale bikes.
jefdiamond   Weekend Warrior [Jun 12, 2009]
Strength:

Tough bike that has survived many jumps...and many failed jumps. I've flipped this bike twice and crashed four times...still going after five years. Easy and quick shifting. I've rode this bike through the city and it's a solid city bike. Changing out the tires should be the first thing you do if you want to ride on asphalt. Off-road, the full-suspension does fine...a really solid constructed bike that handles the trails fairly easily. I have the medium 7005 frame and after simple add-ons it has been a decently comfortable ride (5'8" 170 lbs.).

Really heavy on the trails and you really start to feel it after 10-15 miles. I think the gears don't spool as well as other bikes...seems a bit sluggish. I tend to feel a little trouble going uphill on this bike...don't know if it's the combination of the weight and the gears. Change out the tires, seat, and pedals right away. I have had some issues with the front forks, but only after flipping the bike for the first time. Some adjustments and we are still riding.

Great bike...actually, currently my favorite and longest running bike. I received it as a gift, but I would have gladly paid $350 for the bike. Change out the simple stuff right away and it will do wonders to improve your experience with it. Downhill...asphalt city riding...easy to medium trails...a solid contender. If you want to ride longer than 20 miles...you might want to drop some money on a higher end bike with better gears and a lighter frame.

Beak   Weekend Warrior [Apr 23, 2009]
Strength:

Good bike for the money! Very Strong frame, but then again I only weigh 120 pounds. Components are decent, suspension works well. Ive taken it off 4-5 foot drops, fairly gnarly down hill, and it somehow survived a week long trip to the mountain biking mecca called Moab. I also crashed into a car going 25 mph. Nothing has broken in the 6 years I have had it. Good Warranty

Not very customizable with stock parts, Rim brake version cannot be upgraded to disk brakes. Rear shock is functional, but has a lot of rebound and tends to bounce you over bumps. There is not a super low gear for uphills, so you really have to grunt it.

Great bike for the money, fairly heavy but manageable. Not for super crazy downhills or super steep uphills-, but will take most of what you throw at it. I highly recommend this bike.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Stump jumper
J. B.   Cross Country Rider [Feb 23, 2004]
Strength:

Decent components at a good price

Poor saddle

A pretty good ride at a decent price and "battle tested" on an American military base in Iraq (it would have been more expensive if it hadn't been made in China; I would have been happy to pay more for an American or even a Taiwan-made bike, but being assigned to Iraq, beggars can't be choosers!). For general riding on poor pavement and gravel, this bike does well. It hauls me wearing my 30+ pound armored vest, helmet, and rucksack with my computer and other gear...quite easily! I don't know how it would fare for serious off-road or amateur BMX, but it is great for daily commuting. It shifts smoothly and brakes evenly. It is a quantum leap in quality and performance from "department store" unbrands or Huffy bikes, yet for not a whole lot more money. My only complaint is the saddle. It is small and hard, and not very adjustable--I'll have to buy one in the aftermarket, which is sad considering I saw other Diamondbacks at the Post Exchange with wider, better seats. I recommend this bike for beginners and intermediate riders as well as those who want a more rugged street bike.

Joshua   [Feb 29, 2004]
Strength:

CHEAP!

HEAVY! SADDLE! PEDALS!

Great bike if your looking for something to take you from point A to point B ( and sometimes Point C on some simple trails!). This bike is for anyone that is looking to ride for fun without worring about spending to much money. If your looking for a XC bike then you probably should try looking somewhere else.

Scott   Weekend Warrior [May 31, 2005]
Strength:

PRICE. This bike is the BEST bike you will be able to get for this price, period. For a full suspension bike, it can be taken downhill and will take a beating.

The major problems I had with this bike is the gear system. It is a 21 speed and the largest cog in the rear is 28 teeth whereas most bikes (even the 24 speeds) have 32. That means that uphills are much more difficult if you're not quad-zilla. I tried to upgrade my bike to a 24 speed and low-and-behold, the cogs attached to the rear rim are of the olden days where they threaded on and thus couldn't be replaced by anything new unless I bought a new rim.

Get this bike if you do NOT do many uphills and do NOT want to upgrade the bike. For anything even semi-serious, you will have to replace the rims, gearing, and pedals. The price of the bike plus the price of the upgrades will be more then if you just buy a better bike. I focused mainly on the negative, but it really is a great bike for beginning and it will last for years.

Similar Products Used: Iron Horse Sinister Sport
John   [Aug 18, 2004]
Strength:

Strong frame, beautiful finish, (sadly beat up by a year of abuse, but still looks prety good) Derailleurs still work well. Wheels and tires are good for a cheap bike.

Cheaper, heavy components- steel Stem and bar, plastic peadals. Heavy but sturdy steel rear triangle. Low end Shimano crank set.

Great bike for the money. Good for starting out on a fully suspended bike. Useable (but heavy when stock), for cross country, good for mild (< 1') drops, rocks and roots. I paid $250 for my 18" at GI Joe's, an automotive/sporting goods store in Washington and Oregon. I thought that was a killer deal. Now they are closing out the 2004's at 30% off, so I got my wife a 16" Coil for $175. The Bike service department is great there- you get a free tune up after you break the bike in for 30-60 days. Alysa, the wrench at the Puyallup store ROCKS.
I have ridden this bike pretty hard and have had zero major problems with it, just a few adjustments here and there. I give it 5 Chilis for value and a 5 overall considering the price. Its a steal at $175!

Similar Products Used: GT Avalanche (The older, high-end version, not the current Pacific Cycles type)
Kado Caylan   Weekend Warrior [Jul 30, 2004]
Strength:

good componets for price, this bike will take a beating. Also goes up hill fairly good but, i got to take it easy on downhills i dont want to break somethin. but if u have to pay for it u tend to take it easier.

i know this is not a hucking bike but i did a 6' footer and bent the seat and bars. If u dirt jump sometimes watch out for breaking the rear deraler. but if you ride normal like on trails it will last.

this bike is awesome for the price. it will take you up and down the hill, and it will takin a beatin and just keep tickin. for someone wanting to get into mountain biking and will last u like two years no more.