Diamondback Coil X XC Full Suspension

otakubiker   Weekend Warrior [Sep 18, 2012]
Strength:

Tough little bike. piked it up from a guy that had been riding it to work. What can i say free is a decent price for this bike. I work at a salt bagging plant for residential snow melting, so you can imagine the condition of this poor thing after 6 months it din't shift or brake. Saved the tire anthem rims , replaced brakes cables gear casset and seat, oh yeah the chain to. respoked both rims new chain cables brakes and shifters, all with Shimano Deore XTR components. No just kidding up graded slightly and use for exercise bike mostly on road . Good buyout bike but serious mountain bike I think not still dropping the weight coming down from 300 lbs down now to ashore stocky 225lbs. no broken parts yet, like I said tough little bike!

Mostly the rider but seriously, just what every body else has said little travel for a full suspension but fits my purpuses.

Soon may be back down enough to ride my old raliegh competition that I raced in high school. Good exercise bike fair mountain bike as long as the mountains are fairly steep rolling hills. Oh sure you could pump it up but whats the point ride the crap out of it and have fun. It's not like anyones going to race !it.

Alex H   Weekend Warrior [Sep 01, 2007]
Strength:

umm...well...the frame hasnet broken on me yet, so i guess its ok

pretty muc everything...

fork has too little travel for my taste..feels like im using a rigid...rear shock is too bouncy, makes me lose traction going uphill...both derailers have a 2-3 second lag before it actually shifts sometimes (gets annoying after a while)...rear cassette (the largest sproket bent on me when i was going uphill (also broke the chain))...the left crank stripped and i had to get it replaced...the pivot for the rear part of the frame came loose and had alot of play...the stock rear hub broke in half from use on the road with a little off road use...etc.

although it seems like my review makes it seem like a bad bike, after replacing alot of things, its holding together OK on the markham (AKA bike destryer) trails...and also having some 210 pound kid trowing this thing around the trails doesent help either...im forced to ride this bike however since i currently cant afford a new one...

bottom line...dont ride it too hard...something will most likelty break (today was the ONLY time i rode it at markham and it didnt break...then again, alot of this bike has been replaced with better stuff)...and besides, nowadays, you can find a much better bike of even higher quality for a similar price...i didnt chose to buy it, my parents did...although i do have to say, its what got me into mountain biking...

Similar Products Used: cheap-o walmart bikes
Alex H   Weekend Warrior [Aug 09, 2007]
Strength:

it fairly sturdy...im surprised nothing on it has broken yet...easily adjustable rear shock (you can just turn the spring to tighten or loosen it)...compfortabe riding position...

front shocks have very little travel and they constantly bottom out when i land hard...rear brake cables catches every time i let go of the brake after pulling it and i have to reach under the frame where the cable is exposed and pull it back....

this is a great weekend warrior bike...not really good to use on trails, but its fun to ride on em once in a while...living in south florida its pretty hard to find a good trail...i usually ride on the roads and up and down the fairly steep hills at a local park...i also like to take ot off ramps too...i do wish it had just one more lower gear setting so it could get up the hills easier, but it still climbs fairly well....i dont really have anything to compare it to, so i cant really say its a great bike or its a POS...so ill just give it a three...

Similar Products Used: none (first and only moutain bike so far..nothing to compare to)
Wayne   Cross Country Rider [Apr 01, 2004]
Strength:

Great looks, comfortable cockpit, handles well and feels solid

shifters

The Coil x is an excellent bike for the buck. everything works very well.. Lack of bar ends hurts on steep ascends but it is possible. Bike cockpit is comfortable for distance rides. This bike handles everything a trail can throw at me. Isn't that what anyone would ask of their bike. Been riding recreational cross country for 10 years. Overall, this bike gives me everything I need for some long 15 mi-20 mi rides. My son has the Coil and he loves his bike too!Anybody looking for a solid bike that has dual suspension thats wants to ride hard and make it back home safely and doesn't require trendy components then this is the bike for you!

John   [Jun 14, 2006]
Strength:

The cracked near the pivot for the rear suspension Daimond Back will not warranty it. read more about my DBR warranties at http://www.diamondback.4t.com

Similar Products Used: Trek OCLV, Trek Y22
Cujo   Weekend Warrior [Feb 19, 2004]
Strength:

Great value. Solid & sturdy feel.

None for the money.

I am a 240 lb'er and this bike handles the beating I give it. The forks are a little stiff and only have 63mm travel, but what do you expect for $300. Have not bottomed out forks, but do not do big jumps or drop offs. I enjoy this bike and it brings me back in one piece. This bike has a very solid feel and gives me confidence to do things more expensive bikes do. All in all this bike is a great value for $300 but do not expect some dream machine. If so, spend more money.

Jamba   [Nov 25, 2004]
Strength:

This bike is awesome for its relative inexpensiveness, its ability to take hits and still ride okay. It has decent shifting, but I had to get it tuned at the shop.

It comes with pretty cheap components, especially the Suntour XC-50 fork, which only allows 65mm of travel. Also, the DNM Torch DV-22 rear shock is ineffective in the rebound department. It also weighs 3-4 pounds. Or so it seems. I want to get a Fox Float in the rear and a Marzocchi EXR air in the front. Otherwise, its a good bike. Oh Yeah, the handlebars are frickin' huge. They should be shorter, but I fixed that. CAN'T MOUNT DISCS!!!!!

If you are simply a weekend warrior, who loves riding for fun and doesn't race, buy this bike! If not, this probably isn't the bike for you. Too heavy and clumsy for good xc riding, this bike is an intermediary between the Recreational XC and All mountain. However, like all bikes, it can be configured for what you do.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Jekyll, Cannondale F700, Trek Fuel 90
Josh Horner   Downhiller [Jul 01, 2004]
Strength:

I think that it is a bargain as far as
price vs. performance. Plus it handles great in tight trail and is reasonably light.

I had a huge problem with the front suspension. In my mind i wasnt making a effort to land on the rear it was bottoming out. And i didnt like that at all.

I think that it would be a great bike for beginners as well as intermidate riders. It handle everything that I could throw at it from a 5 foot drop to barreling down a dried up ski slope at 30mph and did this right beside my friends KHS Witchdoctor that he has couple thousand into. Its a great bike and I would recommened it to anyone who wants to push their abilty and have a bike that can grow with it.

Similar Products Used: mongoose XR-200
Felix van Oost   Downhiller [Oct 14, 2007]

Riding Position
Seat
Suspension
Paint
Derailleurs
Brakes

This bike has many flaws to it, although it may be partly due to my aggressive riding style. I first got this bike when I was 10 years old (I'm 13 now). After 3 years of testing, I have found many weaknesses in this bike.

First of all, the riding position from the factory was very awkward, and I rode the bike in the factory position for 2 years before finally adjusting everything to my liking. The stem was pointing at a 70 degree angle upwards, which meant the handlebars were very high. This can be adjusted, however, so it is not so much of a problem.

The stock seat was very uncomfortable, so I replaced it with a Selle Royal 3Density seat, which really helped, and gave a better riding position.

The suspension is one of the bike's main flaws. With both the forks and shock on their softest settings, there is only about 50mm of travel with an adult on the bike - no where near the advertised 100mm of travel. The forks barely move at all with me on the bike (even during jumps) and the shock bottoms out very easily.

The red paint on the frame looks very cool, but there were scratches everywhere where the paint peeled off in clumps, even though the bike has never had any hard crashes or falls. About 10% of the frame is bare aluminium now due to the paint peeling off.

The derailleurs barely shift any more after 3 years of use, and will jump gears all the time or refuse to shift at all. This was due to some of the teeth on the rear sprockets being bent.

The brakes were not very good on this bike, and the rear brake had absolutely no feel to it (basically it's like an on/off switch) after 3 years. The front brake completely broke, so I had to buy a new one. The front brake lever also bent, even though the bike has never fallen hard.

I have now sold the bike and bought a Specialized FSRxc Pro, which is in a completely different leage to the this bike, although the price range is different.

All in all, this bike is quite good for general city riding and light trails, but I would not recommend doing anything more than that with this bike.