Cannondale Jekyll 700 XC Full Suspension

Cannondale Jekyll 700 XC Full Suspension

[Sep 27, 2011]
Lucas Buhr

Strength:

The breaks work very well compared to other cannondales. The bike rides very smooth. The super headshok is the best best fork ever made.

The front wheel had to be replaced by previous owner. The shifter cables wearout after some use.

This is a great bike. I got it for my back problems and it lived up to and beyond all of my expectations. If you want a fullsuspension bike and you find one of these you need to have it.

There is nothing to compare it to.

[Apr 28, 2011]
Kenneth

Strength:

The frame is phenomenal and the gears are super reliable. Bike extremely light and durable.

The seat needed to be upgraded immediately. The cost of servicing can be pricey.

Great bike wish the build was still around.

[Jul 21, 2008]
Martin Stiemer

Strength:

Solid and not too heavy frame, comfortable ride, great looks, great comfy downhiller

Had a lot of trouble with Hayes brakes, but was fixed in the end. 'Lefty' f fork a bit too absorbing for me (87kg), starts to pump, not completely lockable.

A great, non competitive, bike for pure fun. A real friend for any terrain (except tar..) Still enjoy it every time I ride it. (Just much too expensive here in Holland..)

none (Only hard frames, like Giant carbon)

[Oct 13, 2005]
jay shantz

[Mar 08, 2002]
benard willger

Strength:

the paint.this bike has a fat ass paint job.

i got hit by one car and the paint chipped off. plus months outside the chain rusted.

this bike is a dream on the sidewalks. i ride a quarter mile a day and i am not even tired. i love this bike..since i got the bike i picked up 2 paper routes.

huffy vulcan 18 speed

[Mar 27, 2007]
Shane Walz

Strength:

Great feel. Love that I can change the ride by adjusting the rear shock, it's a bit campy but useful.

the stock Fox Float is a bit bouncy, even with a higher air pressure

Nice responsive frame. Soaks up bumps on the way down very nicely. Love the "on the fly" Headshock lockout, wish I had the rear lock for the climbs. Even without the lock it climbs decent. Trying to find an upgrade for the rear shock hasn't been real fortuitous. Some bob but not too awful. I usually beat my friends to the top. The stock Coda equipment was crap, especially the Expert wheels. With my current set-up I'll get plenty of happy miles until that '07 Superlight Santa Cruz comes my way.

Delta V, Giant

[Jul 02, 2002]
Brien Dulaney

Strength:

The Jekyll frame! Strong and handles most you throw at it! Of course the headshock is great with lockout. This bike just gives confidence!

I personally think hutchinson tires suck! They don't grip when wet or in mudd! Some coda components are less than durable =) But most will tell you that they are junk in general!

I had bought a crappy hard-tail to start mountain biking for fun. After 1 serious trip with a buddy of mine, I quickly realized that you get what you pay for. I used to think he was nuts for buying bikes that were over 1k. Boy was I wrong :) Anyhow, I bought the jekyll as my first major investment and I have never had any serious complaints! I have put this bike through hell and it's still serious fun to ride! I am 6ft 215lbs so I do not know why all of these other people keep complaining that they break too easy? The only problems I have had, I bent the front crankset while trying to jump a log I barely cleared, ruined the bearings in my rear wheel from getting it too wet (water crossings are fun) but mainly from washing the bike like a moron! (hey ya live and ya learn. All in all, I found myself doing things with this bike that I was scared $*&@#$%% to do on my old hardtail, it really gives confidence! You can't go wrong with this, if you don't like the coda stuff, upgrade the components over time! You will then have a bike that will last miles and years, no matter what you do with it, unless you try and make a jekyll a big hit freeride bike, which it isnt designed for, its an all mountain.

[Dec 27, 2003]
Markus

Strength:

Frame (Size L): It`s stiff, soft and I can`t notice any bops up and down while riding. As the Jekyll is adjustable, it can be used for all kinds of biking (and persons). Moreover the quality and finish of this Jekyll is perfect.
Brakes:The Magura Julie disc brake is strong, but easy to measure out.
Fork: The HeadShok Super Fatty DL is really stiff and you can block it while riding.
Saddle: The Cannondale Expert saddle is very comfortable.

Unfortunately the rear shock is not adjustable enough although you can block it. So I´d prefer a Fox Float RL rear shock.

All in all I must say that my Cannondale Jekyll 700 is outstanding. It`s very stiff, so it can be used by heavier bikers, too. And it`s one of the most beautiful bikes(I`ve got the orange version),as the finish (Handmade in USA!)is outstanding. And if you are biking uphill, there`s even no need to block the bike. Because of the adjustability the Jekyll frame is suitable for almost everybody.
In order to protect the gloss, I took an adhesive tape (that is sticking on both sides) and small parts of textile (e.g. fleece); and then I taped this on the cables where they touch the frame.

Trek 930, Cannondale SV 500, Scott G-Zero Team

[Nov 12, 2002]
Ed Gates

Strength:

The strengths of this bike helped compensate for my lack of experience. Love the headshok and rear suspension. Virtually no problems in running gear.

Rear brake rotor slightly warped on purchase. Store personnel said this was not a problem but adjustments were required on 2 occasions. Also wish now that rear shock had lockout in conjunction with existing rebound adjustment. Rear tire (Mosquito) wore out fairly quickly, but I attributed this to riding the road between trails.

I am 48 and this is my first bike. I absolutely love the bike and the sport. Most of the trails I ride are hard packed dirt with some rocky sections and a little mud. In this environment the Jekyll has more than made up for my shortcomings. It's dependability has been outstanding. I rarely have any missed shifts. The bike goes where I point it. Aside from a little sqeal out of the disc brakes, stopping is never a problem. The full suspension and the more comfortable seat make for very enjoyable rides. I'm sure I don't come close to using the full potential of the bike, but it allows me to have fun and that's what matters to me.

[Nov 30, 2001]
Mbyker

Strength:

Adjustable geometry, weight, frame design, Super fatty fork, Magura discs work well

Coda parts are weak, Magura discs are difficult to keep quiet, Mosquitos are not good for mud

The Jekyll is an excellent design and I have changed the adjustable geometry during the ride a few times - but mostly I leave it at a neutral "cross-country" setting.
The bike has four inches of travel in the rear and 3.25 inches at the front.
The Super Fatty works very well - much stiffer than a regular dual slider fork and has taken all the abuse my 180 pounds has thrown at it.
I tacoed both of the Coda rims (more than once) but after I upgraded to the new Sun wheels and SRAM hubs no problems at all.
The Coda shifters have a huge thumb throw range so I got rid of them and put my XT shifters on. Much better.
The Magura brakes work extremely well and have great modulation. Unfortunately, they take forever to break in and drove me crazy with squealing until I changed to EBC brake pads. I also use a 10 to 1 mixture of dish soap and water on them to quiet the noise - especially in winter.

I guess the bottom line is that this bike is good when you buy it but excellent after you get rid of all the Coda parts. At 26 pounds my Jekyll is now an excellent Cross Country bike. For these reasons I give it a 3 for value but a 5 for overall.

Cannondale Super V, Specialized Stumpjumper