Azonic Propulsion Full Suspension Frame XC Full Suspension

Propulsion Full Suspension Frame

This Cross Country frame has been built for performance. Features lightweight 7005 Alcoa tubing, gusseted headtube and a 4 bar linkage system to keep the power to the ground. Comes with Romic coil over shock. Replaceable derailluer hanger

jefferym   Cross Country Rider [Feb 20, 2009]
Strength:

Inexpensive

I purchased this frame after reading all the positive reviews here and I have to say that my experience with the Azonic Propulsion frame and customer service have been unsatisfactory. The rear end of this frame is noticable flexy (side to side). Definitely not stiff. Also, it seems that alot of people are saying that this frame is "over-built". Not the case with mine. It looked tough, but after only a couple of summers of XC riding - the chain-stay of my rear triangle broke(I weigh 175). I called Azonic to see if they would replace it and they said they only have a 1-year warranty on their frames. What a joke. I guess you get what you pay for.

Azonic customer service is lacking. They only offer a 1-year warranty on their frames. Not very confidence inspiring - especially after my experience.

Similar Products Used: Jamis Dakar, Specialized Enduro,
charles   [Oct 06, 2006]
Strength:

super strong...rare..horst link!, sick flat powder coat.

none to think of..except pedaling up singletrack or fireroads you must drop the front fork!

the frame is over built for xc..its definately hardcore trail if anything, and soon a uk co. might make adjustable hangerplates to give it 5+inch travel up from 4". that would make this bike perfect..and i'll need a 140mm fork..
and the romic lets me take 3-5 foot drops like nothing.

If you want a light XC bike..nope, if you want a good all mountain trail bike...this is it, if you can find one!

Similar Products Used: specialized, intense5.5, superlight..
Nate   Cross Country Rider [Sep 16, 2006]
Strength:

Strong, overbuilt frame for freeride use and XC versatility. Depending on the build this bike can do anything from 3 foot drops to epic trail rides.

Heavy but durable.

The Azonic Saber with the Horst link (FSR) pivot is unaffected by pedaling, braking. Its a true 4-bar VP design at a bargain price. It climbs and descends smoothly, jumps well. The bike is so sturdy you can replace parts as they wear out and ride the same frame for 10 years. I have built it from light XC to stronger trail bike and keep liking it more as it morphs to my riding style. 5" travel setting climbs and descends better for me than the 6" setting. Perfect trail bike.

Similar Products Used: SC Nomad, Gary Fisher Sugar 3
Carlos Marquez   Cross Country Rider [Jun 29, 2006]
Strength:

Great value for money. Reliable and solid. Great downhiller and handles just about anything I can throw at it.

Terrible climber. Difficult to turn and handle through tight tracks. Stock rear shock is terrible.

For the money this is a great frame. Handles descents very well, no jacking under braking, holds it's line nicely. Climbing is the down side. Difficult to point forward when it gets really steep. Through tight single track it's like piloting a boat. The stock rear shock is terrible. If you want small bump compliance you get terrible bob. If you want minimal bob, then the ride is overly harsh for a full susser. A better shock I believe would make a huge difference, but then for the extra money you may as well get another frame entirely.

If you like going down fast, and are not too worried about getting back up again, then it will do well. If you want an excellent all round performer, maybe look elsewhere.

Similar Products Used: Nothing in the price range. Titus Moto Lite, Ellsworth Truth
Skip   Cross Country Rider [Jun 24, 2005]
Strength:

incredibly strong, little to no flex, rarely see another one on the trail

Thin clearcoat, main bearings had to be replaced within 1 year, heavy rear shock (romic), warranty void if purchased from Price Point

I love my bike dearly. I have spent a lot of time (and money) getting it just the way I like it. As it is currently set up, it is as light as the XTR Blur, but I only have about half the money invested. The only problem that i have had is with the main pivot. I have to tighten it fairly regularly. Additionally, I have already had to replace the main bearings. All of this is quite understandable and considered routine maintenance in my eyes. My one complaint is that upon contacting Azonic regarding the bearings, I discovered that because the frame was purchased via Price Point, that they will not honor the warranty.

i love my propulsion and would recommend to anyone. With an air shock, my bike would be right at 25 pounds which is very respectable for a full suspension bike. I think I'm going to try lock-tight on the main pivot bolt to see if that problem can go away.

Similar Products Used: Trek Fuel, Giant NRS, Santa Cruz Blur
Ron Taylor   Cross Country Rider [Mar 02, 2005]
Strength:

Quality of frame construction, superb welds.

Thin paint finish.

My first full suspension. First time ride was unbelievable and kicked myself for not going FS sooner. Did a lot of research and seriously considered the big name brands until I found Azonic at less than half of the $s of the top-end frames I was looking at. I don't race and wanted a sturdy, low maintenance, well-performing ride. The Propulsion is perfect for my style. It handles well all around and climbs exceptionally well. Weight is moderately heavy but so am I. This frame is an exceptional buy. Found the paint rubs off fairly easy from cables but Nissan Silver Ice touch up paint is a perfect match. Azonic could do a better job at advertising and providing specs for the frame on their site but found enough information on the 'net to compare to the other frames. Haven't run into another Azonic owner on the trails and get a lot of questions about mine. Anyone looking at 3.5"-4" travel frames: I highly recommend giving this one a hard look.

Similar Products Used: Hard tails.
Rick Pierce   Cross Country Rider [Jan 11, 2005]
Strength:

Immaculate machining and welds, nice clear coat finish.
Smooth precision bearings at all pivot points. Solid construction, Very attractive frame. Extremely efficient fully active suspension.

Decals not clearcoated. Frame dimensions not listed, even absent from Azonic's site. Derailer will occasionally contact dropout in certain gear combinations.

I have owned, ridden and raced numerous full suspension bikes over the last 10-12 years, and for one reason or another, I have always gone back to riding hardtails. I do race my bicycles, so weight and efficiency are very important to me. Some of the bikes I have owned, have been very inefficient {early Proflex's} and some have been too heavy and the suspension work so poorly that I might as well been riding a 27 pound hardtail {NRS!}. I did have the pleasure of riding a team scalpel for 6 months, and there was'nt anything bad to say about that...
{but thats another story!}
The AZONIC was bought online from beyondbikes.com, for $699.00 and I elected to purchase a FOX float AVA shock as well.
After completing the build-up, I took the time to get the shock set-up, and started riding the bike. I have been very pleased with the performance of this design, it is very plush for only 80 mm travel, but yet feels very efficient at the same time. The shock does have lockout, but I prefer a design that does'nt rely on that for efficiency, and this frame has never needed to be locked out to climb or sprint well. My setup leans more toward cross country racing and riding, but the frame is built
well enough to be used for more of an all day trail bike or light free riding as well.
After riding this frame for 3 months or so, I am very happy with it, and glad I decided to go with the AZONIC.
I believe AZONIC has a winner here, and if they really advertised them, they would be more visible at the trail head. But for the time being, I will continue to ride and enjoy mine, and answer all the questions I get about it, as I have yet to encounter anyone else riding one.
As far as value goes, I feel this frame is easily worth suggested retail, and if you shop around, there are deals to be found. My overall satisfaction is as good as it gets too, I would buy another one if something happened to this one.
If your looking for a top quality frame, that is light enough to race and efficient enough that it can be
raced or ridden all day {24 hour race anyone?} This would be a good selection for you.
A big thanks to MTBR.com for doing a fantastic job, and to the guys who take the time to post reviews. I make alot of my purchases based on what I read here at this site, and I
have'nt been mislead yet!.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Scalpel, Giant NRS, Specialized FSRxc. Some older Proflex models.
E Bisset   [Nov 29, 2004]
Strength:

- Great handling: The geometry suits me perfectly. I can really throw the bike around with confidence. Tight corners, rock gardens etc. are a blast. Haven't had this much fun since skateboarding as a kid.
- Light weight. This frame is a lot lighter than I expected. For example, the bike is a full kg lighter than my hardtail (2004 Giant Yukon) and it's handling is in another league!
- Climbs beautifully. Of course, the light weight helps...
- Four-bar linkage rear suspension is great. Even though I'm using a shock without any SPV-style technology, there is little or no bob, regardless of shock settings. I have yet to use the lockout on my rear shock, there's just no need.
- Great price. I paid less for an entire bike (built to my own spec) than what many similar frames sell for.
- Looks great, very stylish.

So far, nothing to report. Only had it a short while so can't comment on it's durability yet, which is why I'm only giving it a 4-chilli rating for the time being. Will update my review a few weeks/months down the line.

This is my first full-suspension bike. I was looking for something that I could use for cross-country riding (6-10 hours/week), with plenty of single-track and a few nice jumps/drops along the way just for fun. So far this is the perfect tool for the job. I'm getting faster on the downhill sections every day, as I gain confidence in the bike.

Bottom line is, this bike handles superbly and offers fantastic value for money. Sure, there are bikes with more travel and there are bikes that weigh less, but you can only have one or the other. This frame is a great all-round performer and it offers the best value for money I've found. I'm glad I didn't waste money by buying anything else, specially for my first full-suspension bike.

Having compared the various frames on the market, I believe that this frame is under-priced. If it was more effectively marketed, people would pay a lot more for it. Buy one now, before they catch on.

Incidentally, the bike is branded as the Xtension X-pilot here in SA. I bought mine at Action Cycling in Tokai, Cape Town. Thanks to the guys there for putting up with my uhm'ing and ah'ing - I really wasn't sure what I wanted so I spent a lot of time picking their brains and getting information from them. They pretty much built the bike up entirely to my spec.

Similar Products Used: This is the first full suspension bike I've owned, but I've tried out a Cannondale Jeckyl (nice, but difficult to justify the price), Giant NRS and the usual bunch of hardtails from Giant, Scott, GT, etc.
Mark Louis   Cross Country Rider [Oct 31, 2004]
Strength:

Frame geometry is closest to my old favorite 92 Stumpy, quick! The Romic feels bottomless, the sealed bearing pivots are solid, the bike runs quiet. The welds look
good, the CNC work is well done. Plenty of support for the head tube. Rear triangle is very rigid, no deflection standing on the pedals. Good cable routing, plus can be run with v-brakes or disk.

Somewhat fragile clearcoat, cable rub goes through it fast.
Uncommon seatpost size.

This year I built up 3 bikes to replace my trusty 5 year old K2.
I bought the Azonic on E-bay new as a complete bike, and rebuilt it. The other 2 were the Ellsworth Joker XC, and the Specialized S-works Enduro.

I ride the Propulsion the most, I love the quick handling,
quiet running plush Propulsion. The Romic shock is bomber plush, a good match for the Marz. There is pedal bob, but it doesn't detract from the ride.

In comparison, the S-works is not as plush unless it's running at 5" travel. So, I put a 5" Z1 on it for rougher terrain. A better bike for downhill than the Azonic.

The Ellsworth has a much higher bottom bracket, and higher center of gravity. Even plusher than the Propulsion when set up with a Rock Shox 100mm Duke SL , but a lot of deflection in the rear triangle.
My wife loves it, so it's hers now.

The bottom line, the fit and finish is first rate on the Propulsion, one of the best bikes I've had in 30 years of riding.