Woodstock Bikes 505 XC Hardtail

Sizes: 15.5", 17.5", & 19"
Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Powerspline
Brake Levers: Avid FR-5
Cassette: SRAM PG950, 11–34T, 9 speed
Crankset: Truvativ Blaze 3.0, 9 speed
Chain: SRAM PC-951
Chainwheel: 42/32/22
Fork: Manitou Axel Elite FFD (Fluid Flow Damping) w/100mm Travel, Upgraded with Firm Spring & Lockout
Frame: Diamond Double-Butted 6061 Alloy (YM801-1)br> Front Brake: Avid BB5 Mechanical Disc
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore Top Swing
Seatpost: Truvativ XR Single Bolt
Shifters: SRAM X-7 Trigger
Stem: Truvativ XR
Spokes: 14G Stainless Steel Black
Tires: WTB Weirwolf 26" x 2.1"

Eric   Weekend Warrior [Apr 09, 2006]
Strength:

Excelent Value,great customer service!

My 505 is a lot of bang for the buck. It will climb hills light a frightened squirrel and gives performance of bikes costing at least twice as much. Was a little unsure about getting a bike with out riding it first, but I have no regrets. Jimmy answered all my questions and very helpful.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Tassajara
Bill   Weekend Warrior [Sep 16, 2007]
Strength:

- components / value
- support

- pedals
- adjustments

The bike is a fantastic value for the price. The frame is strong and overall the bike is comfortable.

Bike is easy to maintain and keep in top form, if you are familiar with a few basic adjustments (LBS can easily fill in, or call Woodstock support). Swapped out the pedals almost immediately with hybrid clipless/platform (maybe Woodstock can use this suggestion for future). With the longer frame the bike does climb really well, and it can move on the flat/pavement, but things can get a little ‘tight’ on twisty hiking paths, on sharper drop-offs … the rush that you’re ‘going over’ the handle bars is always there, and the on sharp climbs the ass-end tends to slip if you don’t keep your weight well over the back. Unclipping and using the platform side of pedals helps with all of these situations.

Can’t say enough about the SRAM X7 rear and Shimano front system – adjustment is straightforward and easy to keep in perfect working condition. I have damaged cables and had to replace, and once took a stick on a sharp climb that went right through the rear shifter (actually tore the aluminum hanger). Woodstock sent a new hanger in no time … I manually bent back into place one of the frame arms of the SRAM derailleur (I was ready to upgrade to an X9, but figured I give it a second chance), readjusted the whole system – back to perfect shifting in a few days time. The shifting system, once adjusted tends to stay put, which is unusual for NE-US (warm, hot, humid, cold, dry).
I used to remove front wheel a lot for transport and would get some disc/rotor rubbing. Best remedy is to loosen the mountings on the fork and realign body of brakes with rotor. Now that the bike has settled in a bit, this step is not necessary. The Avid discs have good stopping power when soaking wet or full of mud.

The bike is a tank. Little heavy, but gives impression it will last a long time. If $600-$1000 is target price range I would very much recommend this bike. If you’re looking for more really high performance mountain riding - pay for really high performance. It’s a unique bike and a conversation starter. The support at Woodstock is top notch. Performance under a variety of conditions is quite good. I’ve beat it up a little, and with a little care it looks and performs like I bought it at a local shop, wash it after every ride and take it in for a tune-up every year .

Steven   Weekend Warrior [Sep 07, 2007]
Strength:

Excellent quality and construction. Instructions for minimal setup were very clear and plenty of support available if needed.

Wonderful experience. I could not find another bike in this price range that came close to the quality of components. I'm thankful that I found Woodstock Bikes before I settled for a lower quality bike from my LBS. I don't ride enough to justify the $1,000+ price tag I was looking at for a bike with decent components that I was finding elsewehere.

Similar Products Used: Older DiamondBack Accent
Kerry Herr   Weekend Warrior [Aug 16, 2007]
Strength:

Great customer service and a very well built bike that you won't see 10 other riding on the trail.

None really. Wish they had some LOGO Shirts for us to wear proudly :)

Great Bike for the money. I check out the LBS and none could match the quality/$ of the 505. If you want the big brand name go to your LBS and get your bike there.

If you want a great bike that will last and perform better then the same $$$ LBS, get a WB-505.

FYI, I still support my LBS when possible with parts and service.

Similar Products Used: Own - Mid 90's Cannondale
Reviewed against Trek, Cannondale, GF
Eric   Weekend Warrior [Aug 15, 2007]
Strength:

Components, Customer Service

None so far...did bend the rotor on the rear disc brake, but that was my fault

I was lookin for a new mountain bike and wanted something that could take the abuse of my riding style. I first ordered the 19" frame but upon arrival and a few rides I realized it was too big. So I called up Libby at Woodstock and she said I could send it back for and exchange it for a 17.5" no questions asked. A week and a half later I was out riding on my new bike! Since then I've been taking it out and hitting dirt jumps, riding trails, and commuting to work on it and there are no major problems to speak of yet. I did have a minor problem with accuracy of the shifter so I emailed Mark at Tech. Support for Woodstock and he quickly emailed me back with quick fix...which actually worked!

Overall, the best bike I've ever had and I will recommend it to anyone in the $400-$1000 price range of mountain bike.

Avinash Ramana   Cross Country Rider [Aug 15, 2007]

Check out my Woodstock Review and journal at http://www.technolitter.com/category/mtb/

A direct link is http://www.technolitter.com/2007/08/14/woodstock-505-review/

Justin   Weekend Warrior [Aug 13, 2007]
Strength:

Price, Support, Value.

None so far.

Being new to the sport I purchased this bike a few months back based mostly on many of the reviews here and it has not disappointed. The initial setup took about a half hour with the brakes taking the most time to get correct. The rear hanger broke on my first ride out, but was replaced in a few days after a phone call to their support number. I have been riding with several friends who have been in the sport for many years. They were all very impressed with the component set and price of the bike and have since recommended it to many other people. I would highly recommend this product to anyone looking into getting into the sport looking to spend $500-$1000. To those of you who think that many of the posts are written by only a few people, I cannot discredit your theory, however it may have something to do with the company asking its buyers to post a review on MTBR after a purchase has been made. Being only an online company and not having a huge advertising budget/campaign, the most influential and cheapest way to advertise is word of mouth. Maybe if larger companies like Cannondale and Specialized were able to take some more time to talk with their customers they may have a larger number of reviews on their products. BTW I have nothing against the larger companies as I do own a Trek and a Cannondale.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Piranha
Fanon Wilkins   [Sep 24, 2005]
Strength:

Excellent geometry and components. Can't beat the value. See Woodstock's comparison page.

Nothing

I purchased this bike a few months ago and took a lot of time deciding on a bike. I must have read every review on mtbr of rigs under a grand and then I came across Woodstock. I visited the Woodstock website everyday for about two weeks and then called Jimmy the owner. After speaking with Jimmy I decided that the 550 was worth a shot. I have not been disappointed. This bike is a beast and a half on the trails. I ride on a single track trail here in Illinois and I have been able to role with guys on rigs three times the cost of mine. I get compliments all of the time. All of the positive feedback that you have read about this bike is absolutely true. With Woodstock you cannot loose---PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: KHS
Michael   Weekend Warrior [Mar 21, 2006]
Strength:

Good component set, great value!! Customer service is amazing. Small sense of accomplishment for the do-it-yourselfer in me "assembling" (it came mostly put together) the bike myself.

None really thus far. I have to readjust the brake caliper every time I install the front tire so it doesn't rub, but that's probably my fault and it's not difficult to remedy.

I almost purchased a Specialized Rockhopper at the LBS when they suggested I look into a Trek 4800/4900?. Being new to mountain biking, I went home to research it's components compared to the Rockhopper. I stumbled upon the Woodstock 505. I was looking in the $500 range, and at $640, the 505 was slightly over this beginner's budget. Although, once I noticed it's components were comparable to those of bikes costing much more, my thirst for a great deal wouldn't have been quenched buying any other bike. During my research of the 505's components (since you can only purchase it on-line, there was extensive research), I noticed the front suspension fork ('04 Manitou Axel Comp) was receiving some shady reviews (mtbr.com) from sticksion, bottoming out, and problems with the air assist damping. Everyone remedied the problem installing the firm ride spring kit (pn# 85-5241) so I set out to locate and purchase the kit only to find that the fine people at Woodstock bikes included the firm spring in the bike shipment to remedy these fork issues. Would have been nice to know they were going to do that before I purchased the kit, but kudos to them for going way above and beyond to keep their customers happy. I'm giving the fork a chance to break in before installing the spring (to see if I incur any of its reported issues), but if the issues arise I'll be ready. Off to the post office to return the spring kit I purchased. Woodstock Bikes has great customer service and a super-value product. I gave it 4 chilis overall because my friends' bikes are lighter, but that's just the Woodstock's durability shining through, right? I need to build up my quads for this sport anyway.

P.S. The bike outperformed me in a ten-hour adventure race I did at Muleshoe Bend in Austin