VooDoo Bizango XC Hardtail

The Bizango is a lightweight cross country race hardtail designed for the rider who appreciated the supple handling characteristics of a high end steel bike. Reynolds 853 steel tubing with Breeze rear dropouts. Sloping top tube, extended seat tube. Detachable brake bosses allow for either linear brake or disc brake set up.

dpugh5   Cross Country Rider [Feb 24, 2011]
Strength:

Stiff climbs well handles very tight lightweight

Derailuer hanger is part of the frame

Great Frame the geometry is perfect for my style of riding and the stiffness is unbelievable , great price for a lightweight XC bike. The paint does chip but thats expectected if you ride hard and the hanger is part of the frame so if you snap it off you have to get it repaired.

Similar Products Used: nashbar 4130 , KHS Summit
rsjgrant   Cross Country Rider [Dec 15, 2010]
Strength:

Stability and reliability of steel; Ritchey dropouts; easy to maintain, builds and re-builds very well; geometry well suited to many rider types – I very much enjoy its smooth power transfer on ascents.

Its just getting old...if you find an original 97/98 you won't be able to run disc brakes in the rear; but if this is no issue, then you won't be disappointed. I've recently re-built with Avid SL's F+R, and they're solid.

The rebuild is probably the last I'll get out of NOS components that are truly dialed for the purpose of rim brake only, hardtail satisfaction. That said, its still more than enough XC ride for me; it will smooth out relatively technical terrain, and might see the occasional race, and with the spec the way it is, I'm looking forward to years of worry-free singletrack and bombing around the city.

Similar Products Used: Giant Xtc
bizangorider   Cross Country Rider [Nov 04, 2009]
Strength:

Light! Classic 71/73 geometry which may be old hat now compared to the longer, slacker bikes of today but it climbs well, descends well, handles open rocky stuff, tight woodsy stuff & has good mud clearance with 2.3" tyres and ample chain ring clearnace with x-type BB: no chain gouges in d/s chainstay. If you email Voodoo, Joe Murray may well email you right back - reassuring!

Paint is very thin. Has rack mounts @ dropout but none at top of seatstay - curious. Welding is not as tidy looking as the 1995 RM Blizzard it replaced, but is equal to other bikes like Orange R8, On-One etc. Frames apparently not prepped from factory - BB threads need chasing to remove burrs inside BB shell.

I really like this bike. I was at pains to replce the Blizzard (a beautiful bike) but needed new forks (no one makes 60mm forks anymore) and liked the idea of discs. I considered the new-school type frames (slack head angles beefy build) but wanted something lighter and with pedigree to match the Rocky Mountain. I almost got the Wanga but didn't want the slidey-drop out. It handles superbly, a 100mm fork (Reba nice and light - a MX Pro would suit well too). It has a light springy feel, handle quickly, but without being twitchy. It climbs really well and handles the open rocky trails with confidence. A bike for riding in a wide range of areas and conditions. Excellent. But do buy from a shop and not eBay! With import duty (d'oh!) & getting it prepped it was only a bit cheaper than if I'd got it from Sideways Cycles. Silly me.

Similar Products Used: 95 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, 92 KHS Montana Comp, 93 Kona Cinder Cone
mllfalcon   Cross Country Rider [Feb 02, 2009]
Strength:

Great ride. Awesome color. Great price.

Too muck paint in the dropouts.

This is a great riding hardtail. i use it more as a beater bike. As far as a previous reviewer talking about the fast handling, the frame is designed to use a 100mm fork. I have tried both an 80mm and a 100mm on it, and it works much better with the longer travel fork. When I first bought the frame, I had to remove all the paint from the dropouts just to get the wheel in the frame. The paint was on there pretty thick. Other than that, no complaints.

mrterra2000   Cross Country Rider [Nov 09, 2008]
Strength:

confort,climbs well,fast,v brake mounts,Reynolds 853!

none so far

This frame is a very good value, a fantastic base to build a great bike.I build it with a custom steel rigid fork(corrected)
which contributed for the supreme ride.Dont miss suspension at all.I will use this bike for off road tours and epic rides.Most of the frames using reynolds 853 dont have v brake option or are in the 1500 isd range,this frame is all you need,get it and invest in top components! check some pics here (orange bizango)

Similar Products Used: many
Raymond   Cross Country Rider [Jun 17, 2005]
Strength:

disc and canti mounts
full cable housing mounts
good balance of light-weight, strength and ride character

weld not great
color a little weird
head badge only glued on

I purchased this frame last summer and have been pretty happy with it. The ride is great, at times feeling like a soft tail. The frame has no bad flex issues, no seatpost slippage issues and the paint has held up well. The funky head badge fell off about a month after I got it built up. All the threads, mounts and such were straight, well finished and so on.

The geometry is not the best for me, but I am a lover of the genesis/rock-it thing. The Bizango is so quick, it is almost darty. I like slower stearing bikes, but on curving trails when I am feeling “on” this thing is quick. I assume a 100 mm fork would “slow” it down a little.

The frame is flexible in building it up, able to run both rim and disc brakes. I ran XTR V’s until this week and am so happy to have the option to easily switch to disc. I like how the v brake mounts bolt. With the mounts removed the bike has nice clean lines.

There is one messed up weld on my bike. The welder missed a tiny, < 1 mm, at the headtube/downtube junction. Joe Murray, who answered my emails before I bought and after I got the frame, said it would be OK, but I could still send the frame back for a replacement. Since it was already built I just kept it and it has never been a problem.