Trek Elite 9.8 XC Hardtail

• Bontrager Race Lite Disc
  • Bontrager Race Lite Lux
  • Shimano Deore XT

Chris Cammidge   Cross Country Rider [Aug 26, 2010]
Strength:

Warrantee and beyond!

This is a review of their warrantee. This is not A review about The 9.8 (Needless To Say They Are Amazingly Sweet) I've Riden Trek bikes now for about 20 years and that will never, ever change. I've always been very happy with Trek's rides.But I have to share my recient experience with my fellow riders. 3 Months Ago I Purchased a brand new 2003 9.8 frame that I have Been In Love With Since I First Saw It(7 years ago) As Expected The Ride Was Awesome. It's recomended that you check your Carbon Fiber regularly for any signs of damage,In my check I spoted a hairline superficial crack that didn't affect the ride at all. I contacted my local trek dealer they took a photo and sent it to Trek's warantee division.In 4 days With No Questions Asked They Shiped Me A Brand New 2009 9.8. So obviously I was blown away.I can't say enough good things about their warantee But- This Just Adds To My Lifelong Trek Experience. Keep On Treking!(I will!)

submerged   Cross Country Rider [Nov 13, 2009]

I've got about 600 miles on it so far and it's a sweet ride. It's super stiff and relatively light (23.3lbs in large.) Most of my rides are 2-3 hours and I don't have any issues with fatigue. The carbon does a good job of reducing chatter. Anything beyond 4 hours and the position is too aggressive and my back begins to ache.

It's a cross country specific machine, but it does that job extremely well.

Similar Products Used: Fisher Ziggurat, Trek 8500
alex stewart   Cross Country Rider [Jun 09, 2009]
Strength:

handles very well, climbs out standing.very fast stiff light.

carbon can crack easy chian suck can ruin the fame.

trek makes the best hardtail fames out there. hands down.as long as trek stands behind the fame.you good to go.warranty comes in handy.

Similar Products Used: 9.8 9.9 from 1997 to 2006
Werner Streich   Cross Country Rider [Apr 28, 2007]
Strength:

very very fast bike, it's weight and geometry is awesome, it turns well, it has very good brakes. It is very easy to control and it is very responsive.

chain suck definitely a problem , steering chatter at high downhill speeds

I love this bike. This bike definitely turned me into a Trek fan. It is built well and it has many quality components. I think the derailleurs work well, although I do have some chain sucking going on. I will ask my Pro shop to do soemthing about it and hopefully they can fix it. I do share the opinion that the frame is not super stiff, especially in the steering head area. I can fell some minor steering jitter at higher downhill speeds going on. You really need to hold onto the handle bar.

Initially I was not too comfortable with the front fork, but after riding the bike about 100 miles it felt much better.

I'm extremely happy with this bike and I would buy it anytime again.

Similar Products Used: Kona Dawg
Kirk   Cross Country Rider [Dec 22, 2006]
Strength:

See my reviews below, I freakin love this bike (19 inch frame for a 6'1", 180lb dude).

There are 3 guys (including myself) on this string complaining about chain suck and subsequent chainstay damage.

Great bike. Beware of chain suck. Make sure there is a thick metallic patch on the chainstay to protect the frame from chain suck and of course some tape or some kind of sleeve to protect the bulk of the chain stay from chain slap.

Trek replaced my damaged frame free of charge! I remain a Trek fan!

Similar Products Used: 1995 Bianchi Ibex,, not really similar I know. Test rides on hardtail Stumpys, soft tail Stumpys and Trek 8500.
Richard   Racer [Dec 15, 2006]
Strength:

Great geometry. Good finish work, especially compared to other Trek carbon frames.

Chain suck problems as others have noted. Handling issues (see explanation below).

Bought this bike sight unseen since the LBS's indicated that it would be a special order only item. It arrived without a chainstay protector - bad idea on Trek's part. Fortunately they got one in before I wrecked the frame as others have. Unfortunately, the guards were weakly stuck on the frame - just a thin piece of aluminum with adhesive on the back. They come off too easily when the chain gets jammed in there. I ended up wrapping it onto the chainstay with electrical tape. So far this is holding, looks OK with the black frame color. The problem is exascerbated by the cheap Bontrager/Truvativ chainrings that tend to suck the chain more than Shimano rings.

The components are generally competent - the shifting is good and the brakes work well. The Manitou fork is OK - not as light as the Sid (not quite as flexy either) and not as solid as a Fox. The Snap Valve also does not work as well as Fox's Terralogic. The stock saddle is not appropriate for a race-oriented bike. The carbon riser bars are nice, but I cannot get them low enough and put some flat bars on. The weight with my race wheels and Time Ti pedals is just a hair under 23 pounds - good but not great.

I've raced this frame several times last season and have logged quite a bit of training time on it (trails, pavement, and dirt roads). The geometry is excellent for a race bike and it fits me quite well. Looking at the frame design, the appearance seems to indicate that the front triangle should be very stout (rather large tubes) and the rear should give some compliance with the minimalist seat stays. My experience indicates the opposite is true. The rear end is quite stiff and does not give much over broken terrain - less than what you get with a Ti frame. In addition, the handling has always seemed a bit off. This puzzled me for a while until I was riding it one day on a smooth stretch of pavement at a steady clip. I looked down at what the frame was doing - there seemed to be a lot of lateral movement. To test it further, I deliberately torqued the handlebars while remaining in the saddle and could see a LOT of flex in the upper half of the frame. The bottom bracket area remained comparatively solid. My Top Fuel does not do this. My Madone road bike (which supposedly has a similar front triangle construction) does not do this. I am 5'11" and 163 pounds.

Similar Products Used: IF ti Deluxe, Diamondback ti hardtails. Turner Nitrous, Trek Top Fuel 110 (2005), Specialized epic (2003), Intense Spider, Specialized FSR (2001).
Erik Trogden   Racer [Dec 08, 2006]
Strength:

This is a follow up regarding the chainsuck frame damage in my previous thread. Trek went the extra mile and is shipping me a new frame! This is the advantage of dealing with a big company who really seems to care about their products and their customers! (not like DEAN bicycles).

Keep that chainstay protected by the chainring or your frame will perish!!

Buy it, protect it (chainstay), enjoy it! Thanks to the guys at Trek, Vista, CA for helping me sort this out!

Similar Products Used: Too many to list. It's the best hardtail ever. (Why buy ti?)
jon   Cross Country Rider [Dec 06, 2006]
Strength:

light and very fast

the front fork is not as plush as what I'm used to, but I think it just takes some getting used to.
I also have experienced some major chain suck!!!!

I've moved(from Northern Cali to rural Illinois) and took up cross country racing. I was racing a 32lb all mountain bike that I really love but the whole power to weight ratio thing was a major disadvantage for me. I have not raced the 9.8 yet and won't get a chance to until april(it's december now), but I have ridden it about 100 miles and it is very, very fast. Maybe too fast for my reflexes. I have had some major chain suck that I'll watch closely. I'll send some updates as I race and ride more.

Similar Products Used: Koan Dawg delux, trek 6000
Erik Trogden   Racer [Nov 06, 2006]
Strength:

Beautiful, light frame. Bike comes with light-weight manitou R7 fork and the excellent SRAM X/0 rear derailleur. The rest of the components are too heavy for serious XC use.

OUCH!!! If you get chainsuck on this bike, be prepared for catastrophic damage!!! Trek sells this bike with a little metal plate to protect the carbon chainstay, but mine came without one, and teh ones they install fall off quickly. This exposes the carbon chainstays to the horror of chainsuck. My frame was severely gouged and may be ruined from ONE SINGLE chainsuck. Beware...

Great bike. You just need to beware of this weakness. I gave it 0 chili's to attract your attention, but I actually love the bike.