Trek 8000 XC Hardtail

You know your way around a course, and you know exactly what you need in a ride: speed, durability, light weight, and all-around killer performance.

• Frame: Alpha Red Aluminum w/semi-integrated head tube, butted & formed top tube, hydroformed down tube w/integrated gusset, bridgeless seatstay, forged race dropouts & replaceable derailleur hanger
  • Front Suspension: Fox Alps w/air spring, rebound, alloy steerer, 100mm travel
  • Wheels: Shimano alloy M525 hubs; Bontrager SSR 32-hole rims
  • Shifters: Shimano SLX, 10 speed

John I   Cross Country Rider [Mar 23, 2015]
Strength:

Great bike all around great feel and performance excellent durability

Only weakness i have had with this bike was bearings in back weel went bad . I think this bike may need a little upgrade with the weels

Excellent bike altogether ,olny real upgrade i seen that may be needed is the weels

Jin   [Aug 08, 2013]
Strength:

1. Superlight! Only 23 lbs with my current set up. It might go lower if you go tubeless.
2. Very strong compared to carbon frames
3. Handles really well on single trails
4. Looks awesome!!

1. Less vibration damping compared to carbon frame
2. Hard to keep up with 29ers on flat

I have 2010 version. I bought it as used. The previous owner upgraded it to XTR crankset, X0 derailleurs, Thompson handle bar and seatpost. It is really light as carbon or even lighter than lower grade carbon frames. If you want a superlight HT bike that can take beatings, look no further!!

Simon Grech   Cross Country Rider [Jun 08, 2011]
Strength:

Light as Carbon and Robust as Steel

The SLX shifters

This is a great bike. Very light and not fragile like carbon bikes. I highly recommend this bike. 2 things i will change shortly... the SLX shifters to XT and the Sram chain that rolls on the XT rear deraileur and on the XT crank. Honestly i dont get it... The rest is perfect.

ljblanco   Weekend Warrior [Nov 02, 2010]
Strength:

Light, cool white design, great Suspension, excellent geometry

None so far.

Well I bought the 2010 model and I can assure this bike is one of the best, the incredible light weight and the good brakes response makes it perfect when you are going downhill (very fast also), the reba fork is a dream and the SLX gear shifters work good but maybe in the future I'll change it for XTR.

Marc   Weekend Warrior [Oct 30, 2010]
Strength:

Light, easy to bike. Nice setup. Great design

SLX shifters combined with XT rear derailleur

With this bike, cycling goes so much easier than with my old 4300. Everything costs less effort, so I enjoy biking even more. After the switch of shifters, it's just a perfect bike. Also I thought Shimano XT was the standard in disc brakes, but the Elixir 5 on the 8000 work very nice and have a good feel in the brake handles.

Similar Products Used: Trek 4300
Big JASU   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2010]
Strength:

Stable in loose sand, stiff

Shifts verry bad (due to sram chain PC927). Elexir 5 squeel and vibrat all the time, the pads are way to close to the rotor. When the suspention Roch Shock Reba SL is shifted it stay in the hard condition, you need to pull the steer to unlock it. It is the worst bike I ever road on. He is back in the shop, hopefully TREK replaces the malfunctioning bike.

This was mtb off the year (2009) . I ask myself , do they ride the bikes.....

Similar Products Used: Minerva outback
jetroutm   Weekend Warrior [Oct 30, 2009]
Strength:

Great response, light weight, great componets

Saddle, Tires

I started riding trail this summer. I picked up a Trek 4500 serious and put in around 200 miles of trail on it. It was a good way to break me in and also a good baseline on how to job my next bike. The 2009 Trek 8000 was such an improvement I will never ride my other bike again. I can't believe the difference the components make. Light weight, reduction in rolling resistance and self correcting in many ways. For a hard tail bike this one is a dream. The tires are more for hard pack and its fall in Indiana so its wet and sloppy. I threw on some WTB VelociRaptor’s and it's kicking on the trail. If you're looking for a great middle of the road hard tail this is the bike.

Similar Products Used: 08' Trek 4500
mmountainbiker   Cross Country Rider [Oct 16, 2009]
Strength:

After I re-set it up, and upgraded SLX to XT shifters. straightened out the rotors and reposition the calipers, removed the gear indicators for proper 1 or 2 finger brake finger position I can say this bike's manners are impressive. I dont care if your riding a $5000.00 dollar hardtail ,you wont be able to tell the difference. This bike communicates everything between you and the ground to your your butt and fingers. Gears are one pop away from the other and brakes after a long hill-less florida break-in period are grabby just how my 250lb body needs them to be. And its easy on the eyes

Hard ride. recommend you keep the paint waxed as the black is sure to show scratches for those who care how you look when you show up at the trailhead and your friends bikes cost thousands more than yours. Did I mention the hard ride.

Tires not the best for mud but great on hard packed surfaces. Bike does what its suppose too but inherently its a hardtail when I should have gotten a F/S.
But I must say that I love my bike