Trek 8.3 DS XC Hardtail

Trek 8.3 DS XC Hardtail

If you’re looking for that one perfect go-anywhere bike, DS is it—equally adept on road or off.

• Frame: Alpha Gold Aluminum
  • Front Suspension: SR Suntour NEX 4610, adjustable w/lockout, 63mm travel
  • Wheels: Alloy disc hubs; Bontrager 750 disc 32-hole alloy rims
  • Shifters: Shimano M360 Acera, 8-speed trigger

[Oct 22, 2015]
Cycle.Dude

Strength:

GF frame design
Comfortable

Heavy
Entry level components

I've been an avid cyclist & bike builder for 15+ years and while I have more than my share of dedicated road bikes & mountain bikes this is my first multi-purpose bike. While road bikes are great on the asphalt the thin tires are poor in gravel. Similarly mountain bikes are great in the rough, but a chore to crank any distance on the road. As a year round Pacific Northwest commuter I finally decided to purchase the Trek 8.3 DS to smooth out the increasingly poor road conditions.

I've found the Trek 8.3 DS to be an excellent ride. No bones about it, it's a pig. I ride a 21" frame which tips the scales at 35 lbs (with full fenders, lights & bar ends) when similar mountain bikes are under 30 lbs. That would be a real issue if I expected to ride single track or really take it off road. However, as a daily commuter (20 miles a day) or weekend rides with the family it truly excels. It's comfortable and the frame provides good power transfer. The components are entry level & I expect to upgrade the brakes, shifters & derailleurs as they fail. That being said they do their job well at present.

All in all the Trek 8.3 DS is great at it's job, being a dependable commuter rig that dances the line between asphalt & gravel. If you're looking to carve single track & take drops get a mountain bike. If you're hoping to outrun roadies on the asphalt get a drop bar equipped road bike with 23c tires. If you're hoping to smooth out a bumpy commute on mixed surfaces or simply want a bike that will allow you to ride gravel rail-to-trails as well as get you to the grocery then you couldn't do much better than the Trek 8.3 DS.

[Oct 10, 2014]
Julius

Strength:

Money and performance ratio is just outstanding. Nice frame geometry - very comfortable and strong. It is pretty light compared with other similar bicycles.

Stock pedals are pretty bad (at least I didn't liked it) and breaks are cheap and horribly squeaky (no mater how much you try to fix it)

I was long looking for a bicycle worth money I can afford. In the end I chose this bicycle and till now I really enjoy my choice.
From the first ride I felt in love with it. It was comfortable and very fast. Before I was used to bike only on roads, but this bicycle showed me that trails and mountains are much more rewarding experience.

Geometry of the bike fitted me from the beginning. The frame is really strong and now when I mostly biking in forests and mountain trails, the bike stands out great on any conditions and even aggressive biking.

Only one disadvantage which I found after few months was breaks. They are pretty powerful, but the noise that it made started to get unbearable (especially when riding in the city), no mater how much you try to maintain them. So the best solution is to invest in quick upgrade like Avid BB5 or even better ones BB7.

Tires what comes with bike is great for road and light dry trails, but it's not very suitable for off road or mountain biking and wet conditions. So it depends only on preference of riding style, if you want to upgrade for something with more grip.

So for summary I can say that this bicycle worth all the money you pay for. You get outstanding entry/midrange level bicycle suitable for road and cross-country (XC) riding.

Trek 7.2 FX

[Apr 12, 2014]
Eric N Milkey

Strength:

I researched this bike purchase pretty hard. For the money...for the features...for the components...for the performance...it can't be beat.

Of course I'd like a better group. I'd like a better fork. But show me a deal where you get the components of this bike...and it's geometry (Gary Fisher designed...and it don't get better than that), for the price...and I will say...Awesome deal.

I bought my last bike (a GT Avalanche) when I got out of the army in 1990. It served me well. And continues to do so...I put studded tires on it and made it my winter bike. I live in Wisconsin. But this bike blows it away. The GT had a more aggressive riding position. It was...at the time...a race bike. But it was heavy. Chromoly frame. As my riding habits over the years switched from hardcore mountain biking to more pavement/hardpack...I switched to Ritchey Speedmax tires...which blows your typical 26" knobby away. the 700c tires on the 8.3 blow the 26" Ritcheys away ( I am in no way ripping on the Ritchey Speedmax tire...which for a 'city' mountain bike is your only choice). If your typical ride is in an urban setting...with the occansional trails thrown into the mix, you can't buy a better bike for the money.

1990 GT Avalanche

[Oct 07, 2013]
Giancarlo

Strength:

I ride mostly asphalt roads, very fast, very quiet, everything works perfectly.

The first thing that I will change will be the pedals, I will keep an eye to the brakes, for now I have no complaints.

Very pleasant to look at, very easy to ride, excellent value for the price, I bought mine this week ( blue ) and I love it, this is my 3rd Trek bike ( Road, MTB, Dual Sport ), as usual I am very happy with, I ride mostly asphalt roads, very fast, very quiet, everything works perfectly.

[Sep 15, 2013]
Dror Sever

Strength:

Very good value for money. Geometry is brilliant! The best hybrid bike you can get. Very easy to climb with.

Tires, fork, brakes.

I love my trek 8.3 ds bike! In the last six months I have been ridding it every day to work and back, about 20 km a day, with ~150 meters climb each direction and part of it is off road. The ride is great. I love to climbs uphill with it. And it is superfast.

kona kula with city tires, trek 9700 carbon with city tires.

[May 20, 2013]
Silvr777

Strength:

Good for the money.

Brakes need to be constantly adjusted. Screws push out of the pedals.

I bought this bike about 5 weeks ago to use as a commuter and something that I could use on light trails, on the weekends. It is a good bike for the money but there are a couple of things that were cheaped out on by Trek. The brakes need to be constantly adjusted. I get them perfect, ride for about 20 miles and then they are rubbing badly again. Or they get loose. The screws push out of the pedals and you have to take the reflector off to screw it back in. It has those cheap plastic reflectors that just push in and I break them when I take them off. The tires aren’t cheap. But they suck for both road and trails. I think they were going for a happy medium and missed both. Either way if you ride hard you will probably want to upgrade your bike components if you buy anything under $1000. But 5 weeks in I have to replace pedals and want to replace the brakes and the tires. I am happy with it though.

[Mar 24, 2013]
Jonathan
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Frame, Ride Position, Fast, Lockout Suspension

Expensive, Brakes, Suspension Travel

I bought a Trek 8.3 recently not really knowing what I was getting into. I asked for a commuter bike with offroad capabilities claiming I would only do light trails. Unfortunatly, I fell in love with the mountains. Trek allowed me to trade it in for a Marlin. This bike is not very capable if you plan to go trailing. I got a flat tire 13 miles from my house and had to walk home (my fault for not purchasing a tire fix kit I guess). For what it claims, it's a phenominal bike. I could not have been happier. It's fast, fun and pretty good looking as well. Just need something a little more rugged. Also, the Giant Roam 2 (same price) has hydraulic disc brakes and comes with 9 speeds. Just something to think about if you puchase a bike like this.

[May 14, 2012]
CabinDweller

Strength:

Light
Geometry
Riding position
Comfort
Speed

None so far

Bike is fast on both the road and trail. Lockout fork is a must on a dual sport machine and this one works well. The bike feels lighter than my 4300 even though it is a larger frame. The large 700c wheels roll very fast and smooth.

This bike is a killer on the tow path and country roads!

Trek 4300