Trek 6000 XC Hardtail

You're ready—for longer days on the bike, for tougher challenges on the trail, for the next class up at the race.

• Frame: Alpha Gold Aluminum w/semi-integrated head tube, formed down tube w/integrated gusset, formed top tube, monostay seatstay, forged dropouts w/rack & fender mounts, replaceable derailleur hanger
  • Front Suspension: SR Suntour XCR-RL w/coil spring, preload, remote lockout, 100mm travel
  • Wheels: Shimano M435 alloy hubs; Bontrager AT-850 disc 32-hole rims
  • Shifters: Shimano Deore M591, 10 speed

gttsloan@gmail.com   [Feb 15, 2015]
Strength:

stupid bike couldn't keep itself from getting stolen :(

solid bike, nice stiff hard tail. the geometry was really good on this bike. it felt really good riding this.stupid bike couldn't keep itself from getting stolen :(

Aleks   [May 26, 2014]
Strength:

I recently started to drive quality bike. Before you meet with Trek - Star Trek :). Amazing bike! As a beginner um fascinated by its possibilities! Climbs incredibly well and with ease. Speeds switch crying. The brakes are excellent! I'm still a beginner, but I triathlete friend who introduced me to professional cycling. It cools too was fascinated by bicycle! Great bike ride with him pleasure to work and I thought rather than trips to other cities in the mountains :)!

Still familiar with the bike and I have no comment! The seat is not original with me, and brand Studies, but for now I am ok

Overall I'm delighted with the bike! I think it's an excellent start for me first in professional cycling

Shaniac   Weekend Warrior [Apr 26, 2013]
Strength:

Solid light weight hydro formed frame, very responsive, great climber

As with most store bought bikes...toss the saddle!

I have ridden this bike on several single track trails here in the low country of Charleston, SC as well as the hilly trails of Poinsett State Park near Sumter, SC. All around this is a great bike as it is very responsive in corners and climbs very well! The majority of the bikes parts are beginning level to entry level parts. Even though the SRAM X5 gearset is mediocre, I have not had any issues whatsoever and with SRAM's 1:1 Actuation derailleurs, the shifting is smooth and precise, even on the bumpiest root infested trails. The Avid BB5 mechanical disc brakes are a nice addition as opposed to cantilever rim brakes which means you obtain much better braking in wet conditions.
I have only had to replace the chain once due to a damaged link but I replaced the PC-951 with the nickel plated PC-991, which seemed to enhance the already smooth and precise shifting you get from the X5 components.
My only gripe is the horrible prostate bashing saddle that came with the bike but I replaced it after a few rides.
If you are looking for a great hardtail mountain bike that will tear up most single track trails just over 1K...I would strongly recommend this bike!

skip malibu   Cross Country Rider [Nov 28, 2011]
Strength:

Trek 6000, nice lines and colours, nice frame with good geometry and reactions. When she's all tuned and adjusted just right its a nice feeling ride. I ride intermediate single track fairly hard and she lets me maintain a nice fluid rhythm.

After being broken in I expected tuning to last longer. I ride 3 times a week for 40 to 80 minutes of constant climbing then intermediate single track downhill. Front and rear derailleurs need tuning every couple of weeks. Brakes also need too frequent adjustment and come out of adjustment suddenly even in the middle of a ride. Downright dangerous. Best to learn how to tune your bike and pack your kit with you.

For the money its a nice looking nice riding beginner to intermediate XC bike that adapts well to moderate downhill single track play time. Drivetrain and brakes don't hold their tunes long enough. Too expensive to maintain if you're paying a mechanic everytime for tuneups. I could have bought an 09 Rocky Mountain Trailhead for $300 more which might have been a better buy because I understand it's Shimano drivetrain will need less tuning.

minuteman228   Cross Country Rider [Oct 13, 2011]
Strength:

Fast. This bike moves and climbs like a goat.

A bit on the heavy side. Wheels make up most of it. Jones XC tires are P.O.S. Mech brakes tend to need constant alignment. I've read a lot of complaints about the saddle. While it's not the best thing out there, I don't find it horrible either. Hey, bike's a hardtail. If you don't know how to get up on the bike when it's due, any saddle will feel like Mike Tyson's boxing glove on a KO swing.

Upgraded the following :
a. Bontrager wheels with Deore XT's UST
b. Jones XC tires with Specialized Captains 2bliss.
c. Replaced stock mech disc brakes with Tektro Draco hydraulics.
I can live with the SRAM drive train for now, but the Dart 3 shox definitely gotta go.

Dropped quite a bit of weight and got a very noticeable performance improvement.

Trek nailed the bike's geometry. Albeit an average component set, the bike is fast. It holds its own on climbs too. Very efficient! Can't wait to put FOX 100mm shox and a Deore XT drive train on this baby. I'm givin' it 4 flamers

Similar Products Used: Haro HT. Specialized Stumpjumper Elite FSR.
neilthemeal   Weekend Warrior [Sep 27, 2011]
Strength:

Performance for the dollar
Frame seems really nice
No "weak points", i.e. stuff I want to change
Geometry

Heavier, ~30 pounds

This review is for the 2009, and quite frankly Trek doesn't really have a bike like this anymore. I find the 2009 to be very no-nonsense throughout its spec. It's got a Dart 3 fork, Avid BB5 brakes and Sram X5 nine speed. None of these components on their own are something to write home about, but at the same time my first summer mountain biking I never really thought the bike was ever holding me back because everything works pretty well. With all of that said, if I were shopping today, cash in hand, I'd probably go for the 2012 Giant Revel 0, as it's essentially the same spec as my 2009 6000.

If you come across a 2009 6000, buy it if you are looking for a bike that didn't make a sacrifice in one part of the spec for another. It's a good entry level hardtail all the way through. It's got Trek's higher level geometry and the frame seems really nice. Trek finishes their bikes well and stands behind them

Similar Products Used: tested about every bike I could find that was priced between $400 and $650.
The BillyGoat 6000   Downhiller [Nov 11, 2010]
Strength:

its a very good bike to start with as it comes standard with 27 speeds, mechanical disc brakes, bontrager components, and a decent rockshox dart 3 with lockout, preload, and rebound adjustments

not very well speced for DH due to its long stem, short width handlebar, high standover, cross country wheels and cranks

If youre a begenner mountain biker or want a bike to pimp out over time and have the components already on there its great. another thing is the value, its outstanding so if youre stacked for cash or want a fun bike i would get the 6000

Jube   Downhiller [Sep 26, 2010]
Strength:

Great componenet mix. Frame geometry, Overall Value. Great paint job

a little on the heavy side for a hardtail.

This is a review for the 2011 model. i've been riding mountain bikes for over 20 years. recently i've been more into the gravity riding but my wife still rides XC. i wanted to get back to the basics so i bought a hardtail. i didn't want to spend a lot of money since i have 2 other bikes. after comparing i found the Trek 6000 best value for the money. when i went to the shop i compared the 2010 to 2011. for about $100 more the 2011 had better forks, hydraulic discs and sram drivetrain. It's a solid well built XC bike. it feels heavy when you pick it up but on the trail it's very light and responsive. the brakes work great, shifting is crisp and it climbs like a monkey. i could esily throw a number plate on it and race it next weekend. eventually i want to upgrade the cranks and wheelset to shed a few pounds. if you are looking at this model don't settle for the 2010, the 2011 is without a doubt wort every penny. i've ridden many many bikes in my time and this is one of the best bikes dollar for dollar.

Similar Products Used: cannondale M5, Speacialized rockhopper.
Cudaah   Cross Country Rider [Sep 21, 2010]
Strength:

Love the 6000 frame with a more race inspired seating position.

Didnt care for the saddle.

Bought this bike 2 weeks ago and have put over 125 miles on it. Should have bought a quality bike long ago. I am one happy camper!!!

Similar Products Used: Tested many bikes. A trek 4500 disk, Gary Fisher Wahoo and Malin, and Specialized Comp Disk. Numerous department store bikes.
OKiemtber   Weekend Warrior [May 15, 2010]
Strength:

Strong frame, decent beginner component spec.

Heavy, and I am not a fan of Bontrager saddles.

Being a college student, I don't have the money to buy the bike of my dreams. After riding Trek hardtails before, and seeing a review in MBaction of this bike, I decided on the 6000. The frame is great, and is quite capable and very rigid. With the changes I have made, I have dropped a little over 2 lbs off of the bike. It weighs around 27 lbs, but it is still a little heavy.

The component spec from Trek is fairly good, but with a few changes it can be better. My plan is to upgrade the fork, brakes and wheels. This depends on whether I can find good deals on quality products to save weight that won't put me in debt.

Overall, this bike is great for beginners and Trek knows how to build a great hardtail with spot on geometry. I would recommend this bike to anyone wanting to get into this awesome sport.