Trek 4500 XC Hardtail

• Front Suspension
  • Alpha SL Aluminum
  • Bontrager Camino rims

Brad   [Feb 23, 2015]
Strength:

My 2004 4500 has never let me down. I ride a lot of rough rocky Utah MTB trails and have worn out 3 sets of tires. The frame is great but a little heavy on the climbs.

The chain rattles on the downhills and the fork needs a little more travel for rough terrain. But I only paid $450 for the bike and have ridden the crap out it for ten years

Great bike but I want a full suspension for a smoother ride over the big rocks!

ProBiker   All Mountain Rider [Aug 01, 2014]
Strength:

No matter what I do to the bike nothing breaks, this bike is very durable and good for a wide variety of trails.

Sure it's a bit heavy but with a bit of muscle it's no trouble to ride

My trek 4500 has been on some harsh trails whether it's mud, roots, or just fast paced downhill riding it's held up great.

Similar Products Used: Trek 4300, trek black mamba
jehod   [May 18, 2013]
Strength:

Heavy solid bike.Takes a lot of abuse.

Heavy bike. Components will need replacement, but probably no more than can be expected.

I upgraded from a 4300 to this bike, as the bike I would keep in Thailand. I teach there for about 11 weeks each winter, and put on 2700 K+ each trip. I do most of my riding on a park track, but I do ride on downtown Bangkok's city streets also. I've toured around the country and Laos on this bike amongst paddy fields and highly irregular pavements. Bangkok's notorious city traffic is the real test though, and this bike has been a champ with over fifteen thousand kilometers on it. I've replaced the chain, grips, a few brake pads, cabling to the derailleurs, softer seat (I ride it a lot, avg. 35K a day), a few sets of tires and several tubes. Really routine considering the abuse this bike has taken.
In BKK, subsidence is a real problem, on roads, pavements, et cetera.You can slam this beast hard and nothing breaks on you. Sure you wear parts out, but that's to be expected. I opted for the mountain bike as a BKK city bike with 1.75" cross tires, and ride through some of the most horrendous traffic imaginable. When it is wet, you really want disc brakes. The bike has excellent control at city traffic speed, and it's geared well for the wide variety of clambering around over 6" curbs, missing portions of pavements, and up and over klongs.
I've just upgraded to an EX 8, and am totally in love with it. It is going over to replace the 4500. For the money though, I'd have to say the 4500 is a great value and a beautiful bike. It is heavy, but I only hope my EX 8 takes the abuse as well. I'll probably keep the beast for friends to ride. It's a terribly, tough bike.

Eduardo   Weekend Warrior [Jan 21, 2013]
Strength:

2011 model: This bike is all about its frame. A tough, lifetime warranty, aluminum frame with great geometry. As for the components, you get powerful disc brakes, decent wheels and drivetrain components.

2011 model: The suspension fork is too hard, especially for a lightweight rider, like myself. The bike is a bit heavy overall, too.

Great value, great bike. The sturdy Alpha Black Aluminum frame can handle anything. A few upgrades here and there (starting with the suspension fork) and you will have a superb trail bike.

Kanuck   [Jun 28, 2012]
Strength:

Tough. Good components.

Heavy. SR Suntour fork is not the best.

Overall, I love the bike. It is a bit heavy, but I am a big guy so it is not a big issue for me. I have the 2011 version with the SR Suntour fork, which is not the best fork. I swapped it out for a Rockshox Recon and the difference in the bike was night and day. It also helped with the weight issue. I would recommend it for anyone wanting to get into mountain biking.

Shaun Walsh   All Mountain Rider [Jun 01, 2012]
Strength:

The frame is tough and durable and it is comfortable to ride. The suspension is OK for the price and the bike is built for beginners. The seat is more comfortable than most expensive bikes. The extra weight makes it ideal for cross country and riding on flat land.

The weight makes it hard to get up steep ascents however does make you fit. The suspension isn't very good for rocky/rough descents and has made me come up afew times. The pedals are not very good for off road and mine snapped and the lights broke off. The derailleurs are cheap and the chain easily comes off. The chain is cheap so easily rusts easily even when looked after. The tyres arent brilliant for muddy conditions.

The biggest weakness is the weight of the bike because alot of other manufacturers e.g. cannondale are lighter for the same price. The suspension is also not great for rough terrain however it is good for beginners who are getting used to descents. The pedals ideally need upgrading for off road to alloy pedals which are around £15-£20. The chain needs looking after and cleaned after every ride out and the tyres need upgrading for ascents in muddy off road conditions.

fudder mucker   Cross Country Rider [May 17, 2011]
Strength:

I love the 4500 i was injure ad this is the only type of excersize that i can do that doesnt make me hurt. My neighbors son owned the bike and it had been stored for 4 years or so............ So when they asked me if i could use it i jumped on the price!!! It has been the BESST 50.00 i have EVER spent... IF you have a back injury that limits anything you can do i highly reccomend the 4500.... it rides very smooth i havent had a single issue...

i am the weak link.................. Because i can not ride daily... I feel like im neglecting it !

This bike has enabled me to get out of the house and being able to get some form of exercize has been wonderful... Overall the bikes weight and the smoothness of the ride it is well worth the investment~FUDDER MUCKER

Similar Products Used: I had a trek that was from the begining of time litterally and i liked the way it rode .......... the 4500 is the best bike ive had
nfraser   Cross Country Rider [Mar 15, 2011]
Strength:

this bike is built like a tank

it is not that relible

This is a great handling bike, well built and a great up hill bike. when i first tried it it was perfect, comfy and its brakes are great but after one month the chain connector came off. After fixing it every thing was going well untill the Front Derailleur came off, getting it fixed every thing was getting better untill the chain snapped and for someone who's friends have all just got new bikes it is a huge imbarissment as there bikes cost less and are better spect up. Over all this bike is great but is overpriced and i have had lots of problems with reliability.